↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Broadband problems? Got an old style TV?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Broadband problems? Got an old style TV?
This has appeared on the BBC News app
Internet: Old TV caused village broadband outages for 18 months https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54239180 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #857394 22nd Sep 2020 11:48am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I read that, funily ours drops out around 630-7am, we have some elderly neighbours who wear braces and light a fire first thing every morning.... though when it does drop out, I just see it as a sign to get out of bed, which I do.
I won't be telling them to buy a new tv, bless 'em.
Post #857398 22nd Sep 2020 11:54am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Is this true, or is it OpenReach / BT doing a bit for some free publicity?

I read it on the BBC also and it didn't really sound plausible. You would think that BB has been around so long now that most problems such as 'old tellys' would have been found out and interferance would have been one of the first things they thought of or went looking for?

I used to work on some sizeable pumps and motors in the water industry. The one thing that might mess with your broadband would be large inverter drives. We used to have a nightmare with electrical test equipment and inverters. I could understand something like this, but a TV does seem a bit 'low power' to take a village's broadband speed down??

Of course, if there is anyone on here who could explain (there always seems to be someone on here who knows something about everything - except whether you should have the white lettering of the tyres visible on your truck Rolling with laughter )

Oh, if you do think it's the Water Treatment Works or Water Recycling Plant (I think that's the correct terminology for a sewage works looking directly at Sulisuli for insperation?) don't complain too loud. Not being able to turn your tap on or flush your loo is a lot more inconvenient than having a poor broadband speed Thumbs Up
Post #857453 22nd Sep 2020 5:07pm
dorsetsmith

OpenReach / BT screwing it up

18 months to work it out Censored

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 23rd Sep 2020 7:52am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #857457 22nd Sep 2020 5:10pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
I still have a CRT TV Whistle
Post #857459 22nd Sep 2020 5:22pm
LiftedDisco

Hmmmm...

We back onto some sheltered housing and our Broadband to the back of the house falls off the proverbial cliff at anywhere between 7pm and 8pm most nights.

We have a standing joke that the old folks are all giving it large with the red cords - who knows, there may be some truth in the article as I bet there’s some very old technology over the fence!
Post #857505 22nd Sep 2020 9:34pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
About as lame an excuse as the wrong kind of leaves on the line....
Post #857549 23rd Sep 2020 7:33am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
LiftedDisco wrote:
Hmmmm...

We back onto some sheltered housing and our Broadband to the back of the house falls off the proverbial cliff at anywhere between 7pm and 8pm most nights.

We have a standing joke that the old folks are all giving it large with the red cords - who knows, there may be some truth in the article as I bet there’s some very old technology over the fence!

More likely, LiftedDisco, this is when everyone else jumps on their Computers, Tablets, Phones or starts streaming or downloading? It's more likely to show how inadequate the infrastructure suppliers equipment is in you area.

It's worth remembering that in most cases, especially if you live out in the sticks, you BB infrastructure provider for all, or most of the way into your house will be OpenReach (that's BT by any other name), no matter who you pay for the service. Big exceptions are Virgin Media and any BB connections where fibre is brought into the house.

Unless you have any of the above, and / or live in a fairly new house, at some point, your internet is relying on 1950's telephone technology - a twisted pair of copper cables.

Had a big argument with Vodafone who told me they have the capability of bringing fibre into my home today (well actually about a year ago!). I live in the sticks. No one has dug my road up in years (well not since we went on the sewer some thirty years ago) and my telephone comes into the house on overhead cables. So how Vodafone were capable of bringing a fibre connection into my house your guess is as good as mine? I did think about going along with it to see how long the email of apology would take, but I lost interest.
Post #857558 23rd Sep 2020 8:36am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
If it's only part of the house, it could be clashing wifi networks. Test your speed over a wired connection. If that's better, then use a wifi analyser on your phone to see who's using the same bands. you may be able to manually switch the band your using, or even switch to 5GHz (most are on 2.4GHz) if your devices support it.
Post #857575 23rd Sep 2020 9:53am
LiftedDisco

It’s pretty much anything to the back of the house that depends on wi-fi of some / any description...

Internet (ie via the iPad), Sonos (big no-no...) and even the Firestick - things have improved since I put a BT Booster disc in the kitchen but it’s still not failsafe.
Post #857710 23rd Sep 2020 7:44pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
It doesn't read clear to me, so are they saying it was knocking out peoples Broadband or interfering with their WIFI networks? both very different things. Microwaves and stuff interfere with WIFI performance, to knock out a villages WIFI networks it must have been omitting some serious interference ! 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #857735 23rd Sep 2020 8:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1