↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > LR Drops & Then Picks Up Plans For Defender Pickup Truck
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Philip

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Philip wrote:
An awful lot of pickups end up with a canopy.

Your point being?

That an enclosed load space is more practical for most users (bulkhead too, for some).
Post #886722 20th Feb 2021 1:53pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Interesting, especially given the rendered images of a forward control new Defender:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

"The electric pickup battle has a new challenger in the form of Canoo which late on Wednesday unveiled a flexible pickup truck offering up to 600 hp.

Canoo is an electric-vehicle startup with a modular platform in the familiar skateboard form, but with by-wire steering. The company, which went public last December via a SPAC deal, has previously shown its platform in a minivan and a delivery van.

The pickup truck looks to be the most ambitious yet. The vehicle sports a non-conventional design, though it's nowhere as radical as the Tesla Cybertruck shown in 2019. It's non-conventional in that the cab has been moved forward, since there's no engine taking up space, and this has resulted in more space for the bed.

The smart packaging means the relatively small pickup, which has no name by the way, measures just 184 inches long but has a bed that's 72 inches long. This isn't bad on its own but a 30-inch extension makes the bed about the length of a full-size truck bed—and secondary lamps in back make it usable with that extension."

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/113153...ble-pickup

https://player.vimeo.com/video/522176934

Video is worth watching to see the thought that has gone into making the vehicle really functional and modular.

Edit: Costs look surprisingly good, if they can be believed:

"The Lifestyle vehicle is planned for launch later next year and starts at $34,750, with premium models topping out at $49,950. With an advertised battery range of 250 miles, 300 horsepower, and 332 foot-pounds of torque, it seems, at least to me, to be an electric adventure van in the making."

https://www.overlandexpo.com/compass/2021/...ils-specs/

Last edited by Supacat on 9th Jul 2021 6:38am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #890735 11th Mar 2021 1:48pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I saw this earlier on Electrek, and my first thought was omg that's ugly!
But then I realised it was a cab-forward type design, which is usually great from a space point of view, and it would clearly make a great camper. And the modularity could be useful.
Watching the vid I was a little surprised seeing how far back the driver sits - maybe it's crash protection but seems like wasted space - there could be a second row of seats in that cab (or alternatively a longer bed) if the front seats were a couple of feet further forward.
Bit like that electric Morris van - that also had a big old gap below the windscreen.
Exciting times though - I like how much innovation can come from using skateboard platforms.
Post #890774 11th Mar 2021 5:20pm
Supacat

Click image to enlarge

Yes I see what you mean by the space in the front, although there is a small front boot.

Click image to enlarge

I thought getting a full sheet of ply was a pretty good measure of the bed being big enough?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #890779 11th Mar 2021 5:47pm
IRBails

Australia 
Re: New Defender ~ Pickup Back On?
Supacat wrote:
Autocar (@autocar) Tweeted:
Land Rover has dropped its strongest hint yet at an upcoming #Defender pick-up, citing ease of production and strong demand https://t.co/xPnhHcbPZT https://t.co/xgAE2UbvK5 https://twitter.com/autocar/status/1361631102675398661?s=20

Click image to enlarge

"Jaguar Land Rover’s executive director of vehicle programmes, Nick Collins, has told Car of the Year that not only is a Defender pick-up feasible but that “there is customer demand” enough to justify one.

Collins confirmed that “there were no structural limitations” to a Defender pick-up and that “you can make a pick-up from a monocoque” – although nearly all mainstream pick-ups are based on vehicles with a separate chassis and body.

“We always said the Defender would be a family,” Collins said, and that while talking about future plans should be “saved for another day”, we should “watch this space” with regards to a pick-up.

An open-backed Defender would be aimed squarely at the hugely popular utilitarian market in the US and the burgeoning pick-up market in Europe. It would also stand to help Land Rover steal some sales from the long-reigning Toyota Land Cruiser in developing markets including South America and Africa.

As previously reported by Autocar, the Defender pick-up will be offered with a choice of petrol and diesel units from the standard Defender line-up and likely offered exclusively in long-wheelbase 110 guise. "

In Australia people are buying 200 series Landcruisers and cutting the rear off and making a 4 door ute. Do a D350 twin cab with 1000 kg load and 350 towball weight and 3500 kg tow weight and they would sell.
Post #897306 11th Apr 2021 1:39am
J77

Scotland 
Another pick up render, one of the better ones I think.

24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #908008 15th Jun 2021 8:03pm
Swac3

Thats quite a hefty bodyshell change tho isn't it, as there's no 110 thats not got rear doors, So in reality a totally new shell design and manufacture.

looks nice mind you 3 Landrovers
Post #908044 15th Jun 2021 10:23pm
Supacat

And that's the problem with going with a unibody design from the start.

Makes perfect sense when you have decided, like JLR apparently did, that they were not going to make a pickup. But then makes it harder when you change your mind.

There's more than a certain sense of irony that as JLR move off a modular platform to unibody, many manufacturers are moving away from unibody towards body on frame, or skateboard, as the battery platforms are now being labelled.
Post #911544 9th Jul 2021 6:29am
Supacat

More renders...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

http://www.autonews-mag.com/news/2022-land...s-rendered
Post #920655 9th Sep 2021 9:25am
Tim in Scotland

Hardly worth the extra engineering costs to make the top render……….. looks like it would have less load capacity than the car version although………. Wouldn’t take much to go from that to a full open top car! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #920669 9th Sep 2021 10:45am
J77

Scotland 
90 pick up would be good, not much of a load bed but neither was the old one. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #920673 9th Sep 2021 11:03am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Supacat wrote:
More renders...

Click image to enlarge

http://www.autonews-mag.com/news/2022-land...s-rendered

I'm not sure how you'd open the rear offside door in the lower render, with the lunchbox attached to the roof like that! Rolling with laughter

Do the people who do these renders really have that little clue? I suppose they must.
Post #920682 9th Sep 2021 12:06pm
Orchard

Pick-up. Not going to happen. Too difficult. Too expensive. Too niche. 2015 90 XS SW Bowler
1998 TD5 CSW
Post #921021 11th Sep 2021 1:14pm
Supacat

Too difficult ~ technically or just in today's circumstances?

Too expensive ~ for people happy to spend £100k on a V8?

Too niche ~ for a manufacturer that has declared the Defender pillar will spawn a family of models?

I have some sympathy with the view it won't happen, but in terms of credibility can JLR flip on this yet again.?
Post #921030 11th Sep 2021 2:53pm
Orchard

It's the combination. Designing a new rear structure after the BIW has been finished is of course technically possible (anything is with enough time and money), but it's time consuming and expensive, with a lot of Body Shop re-tooling to do, $$$$$
Too much investment would be required to make a business case work unless it's really premium, and there aren't many (any) commercially successful non-US branded premium pickups.
It was never in the plan and JLR haven't committed so there isn't really a flip flop. The Defender family in my view has also meant a range of models, not just body variants of the same vehicle. 2015 90 XS SW Bowler
1998 TD5 CSW
Post #921265 13th Sep 2021 10:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>