↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > LR Drops & Then Picks Up Plans For Defender Pickup Truck
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
JimC

United States 2007 Defender 130 300 Tdi HCPU Arles Blue
LR probably threw in the towel when they realized the Jeep Gladiator is the best Defender 130 ever built.

I love my Defenders, but the Jeep line-up right now is dialled-in. Maybe because they spent the last 35 years developing the line instead of nursing the old model along...
Post #796903 6th Oct 2019 10:35am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Yep ^^^^^^^ Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #796917 6th Oct 2019 12:55pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
JimC wrote:
LR probably threw in the towel when they realized the Jeep Gladiator is the best Defender 130 ever built.

I love my Defenders, but the Jeep line-up right now is dialled-in. Maybe because they spent the last 35 years developing the line instead of nursing the old model along...

What about the recalls for chassis welding issues?
Post #796923 6th Oct 2019 2:00pm
shropshiredefender

Errr - axle welds failing on Defenders? Just as serious and don't get me into Puma engine problems Sad Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #796932 6th Oct 2019 2:36pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
From what I’ve seen of the Jeep specification:

The pick-up bed payload is rated at 726kg.

Once again a pick up aimed at fishermen, neither use nor ornament to me!!! Certainly no match for a 130 DC HCPU. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #796935 6th Oct 2019 2:54pm
Supacat

shropshiredefender wrote:
Errr - axle welds failing on Defenders? Just as serious and don't get me into Puma engine problems Sad

You appear to be missing the point. It was not a comparative quote, rather about Jeeps being "dialled in".
Post #796945 6th Oct 2019 3:41pm
shropshiredefender

RFT -
Regretfully your requirement for a DCPU to carry your demountable camper would be seen as a"niche market" by major vehicle manufacturers.

Land Rover, and to a lesser extent Jeep, used too produce both mass market and more niche (interesting) vehicles.

Neither, it seems, can afford to produce anything other than mass market vehicles now. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #796947 6th Oct 2019 3:49pm
shropshiredefender

Supacat wrote:
Errr - axle welds failing on Defenders? Just as serious and don't get me into Puma engine problems Sad

You appear to be missing the point. It was not a comparative quote, rather about Jeeps being "dialled in".

I took "dialled in" to mean that Jeep were more in touch with the current market. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #796948 6th Oct 2019 3:54pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
shropshiredefender
I think the ability to carry a tonne of material and some tools is not a niche market, it applies to most builders, farmers, utility companies and engineering contractors. Unfortunately the double cab pickup market has been image driven by the Jap pickups and more recently the german pickups that are all image and life style instead of functionality. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #796965 6th Oct 2019 5:37pm
Supacat

Supacat wrote:

I took "dialled in" to mean that Jeep were more in touch with the current market.

I guess we are both 2nd guessing the OP, but I read it in the context of the next sentence which talked about developing the line. I'd expect that to only make it better/more durable.

The welding woes appear to stem from contracting out the chassis to a company that anecdotally took people off the street, "trained" them to weld in a day or two and then left them to it.

Says nothing good for Jeeps Goods In process as well.
Post #796969 6th Oct 2019 6:02pm
shropshiredefender

RFT
The ability to carry a tonne of material and some tools is not a niche market but one well served, at least for farmers and builders etc., by standard basic Jap pick ups and hi cube vans, both supplemented by trailers where necessary.

Like it or not (and I don't like it at all) the mass market for Tata and Fiat, Land Rover and Jeep if you prefer, is in lifestyle vehicles that have a pinch of heritage and nostalgia. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #796973 6th Oct 2019 6:16pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
my Issue with the jeep is it only tows 2.4 tonne. Then a pickup you get all your tools nicked or have to put a plastic cover on. Also as uncomfortable the 110 is four adults can travel in it. This is not possible in an L200 with a six foot driver. Then if you load the crew cabs up, you use how much you can tow. Landrover’s you can load up and then still tow the full amount.

We have found the 4x4 sprinter to be the best bit of kit out. Most 4x4 are only any good for quoting in. They are nice to drive as well.
Post #796976 6th Oct 2019 6:34pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Don't forget that Jeep Gladiator's primary market is the US. America is awash with pickups from small to the heavy duty (lorry replacement) trucks.

They were never looking to take on the heavy market nor the minority Defender High Capacity Pickup market, especially as it was not sold in America therefor not competition at all. Not forgetting that Jeep's parent company Fiat also own Dodge and so the Ram covers their heavy pickup space in the market.

For the US consumer if you want bigger you buy bigger, if you don't, you don't. Its that simple.

Mercedes got Nissan to built their X Trail pickup which sales wise has been a disaster and I understand has been discontinued.

The worse thing JLR could do is to follow suit plus it could never take on the US market to make it worth while. JLR has given up on the commercial market. Taking out the back seats and blanking the windows is not a commercial vehicle for the workman.

Expect to see most of the 'commercial' New Defenders sold for private use so not to be hammered by the higher VED here and abroad.
Post #796979 6th Oct 2019 6:53pm
Supacat

For me the DCPU was never really about the commercial market in more recent years. There's no denying JLR have sold into this market in the past, but it was surely a leisure/lifestyle vehicle in it's latter years.

It was planned in the new Defender model lineup and I'm guessing that was because they saw a valid niche market from previous sales that they could grow in the future. The article quote from the JLR bod seems like spin because they now can't have the money to develop the model rather than the boggo 130 being able to do the job.

I just wish they'd be more honest with their potential customers...
Post #797057 7th Oct 2019 7:35am
Supacat

This should tick a few boxes:

Click image to enlarge

"Tesla powered 450hp, 250 mile range, 6 seats, great for towing and carrying stuff in the back."

Electric Classic Cars (@elecclassiccars) Tweeted:
Is this the perfect shop truck? Tesla powered 450hp, 250 mile range, 6 seats, great for towing and carrying stuff in the back. Even Spud approves. 😁👍 #electricvwbus #electricVW #vwelectric https://t.co/ktNrsPofeG https://twitter.com/elecclassiccars/status...84162?s=17
Post #797158 7th Oct 2019 7:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>