↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > LR Drops & Then Picks Up Plans For Defender Pickup Truck
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
J77

Scotland 
No need for a pick up, just put them on the back seat Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #824335 9th Apr 2020 8:32pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have a feeling that that is illegal on a public highway. Livestock must be separated from the passenger compartment, I believe.
Post #824343 9th Apr 2020 9:24pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ I would have though so, covered by either DEFRA or DFT or both under regs. For good reason.

Looks to me just like a Kia Sorento. Whistle Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #824346 9th Apr 2020 10:01pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The driver looks a tad underage as well Whistle
Post #824352 9th Apr 2020 10:56pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
I like the colour and sensible choice of wheels.
Post #824353 9th Apr 2020 11:01pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
J77 wrote:
No need for a pick up, just put them on the back seat Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

What a load of Censored . 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #824354 9th Apr 2020 11:49pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
LR are trying too hard with the Photo Opportunities they just need to chill. Its a great car that doesn't need the cringe media messaging. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #824471 10th Apr 2020 8:33pm
walfy

Morepower wrote:
This is the Crux of the issue... Sticking a "commercial' tag in the title... DOES NOT MAKE IT A TRUE COMMERCIAL VEHICLE....
As far as I'm aware... Please correct me if I'm wrong as information is very scarce at the moment... None of the current or proposed LR products have a 1 ton capacity with the ability to carry 4/5 People...
Another trap for young players is if your towing your maximum weight 3.5 tones in the Discovery's case... you need to be careful of gross weight... so two people with maximum vehicle load... you may find yourself over the max permitted gross weight...

this quote is very informative

Double-cab pickups are particularly attractive for these purposes, as they have two rows of seats and four doors, making them as useful for carrying people as a regular car. However, to qualify as an LCV, a double-cab pickup must have a payload capacity of over 1,000kg.

If it doesn't, it counts as a car for some tax purposes. An example of this would be the Ford Ranger Raptor, which meets the rules for flat-rate van VED (N1 type approval) but counts as a car for BIK - which means a monthly bill of £598.89 for 40% rate payers at current levels. Ouch.

What's more, you wouldn't be able to claim the VAT back on a Raptor, and you'd also face fuel benefit charges at the higher car rate as well. A triple whammy.

My current 110 is USW, it's a 63 plate and is a "commercial". I claimed the VAT back on that when I purchased it new, why couldn't I claim the VAT back. It's a capital investment of over £2K so qualifys for VAT claiming and despite it not having a 1000kg payload it qualifys for BiK.
The current Defender is classed as a DPV. I see no reason why the new Defender won't be the same.
Are you sure tht when you say the dealer changes subject or goes quiet, it's because they don't know what they're talkking about? Best way to find out is to speak to your accountant. They have a little book with all the vehicles that qualify for fuel,BiK etc etc. Thats where I went when I wanted the answer, not the salesman, they are supposed to have product knowledge not accounting knowledge, even though it would be nice of them to know it's tax status 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #831410 16th May 2020 4:59pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
@Walfy... The 2nd part of my quote was taken directly from a article covering the issues people have with commercial vehicles....

As far as I'm aware (I have a 110 USW also) they qualify as commercial vehicles as they carry over 1000KG in load weight... None of the "New' Defenders have yet to manage this fiqure (I actually think its something like 1070Kg to qualify)... Currently they can manage around 900KG but you have to lose the rear seats... So your left with a very expensive 2 seat non commercial BIK vehicle... As the new Defender is just a D5 with different plastic trim etc, You only have to look at a D5 commercial to see what the Defender commercial will be... Expensive, Not very practical and a killer as far as tax goes... Hopefully they can manage to change this... But given they are starting with a passenger vehicle I think LR may struggle It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #831411 16th May 2020 5:11pm
walfy

If thats the case then I won't be upgrading then. It's the only way I can afford to run a new Defender. Or I sel my current 110 and look at a used G wagon. I wonder if they have a commercial variant 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #831412 16th May 2020 5:13pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Morepower wrote:
@Walfy... The 2nd part of my quote was taken directly from a article covering the issues people have with commercial vehicles....

Which part ~ it's impossible to see any quote from your post? What was the source ~ who's saying you can't claim VAT back on a Raptor? Is that you or the unrefererenced quote?

Edited to add - apologies if this sounds rude - I was thinking out loud and trying to get the post done as I was being called (loudly!) to do something else, and think I could have phrased my questions better... Embarassed

Last edited by Supacat on 16th May 2020 7:57pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #831427 16th May 2020 6:29pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
@supacat here's one article I found... You have to scroll down toward the end but it explains a bit about the pitfalls... I'll try and find the link to my original quotation

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ford/...erm-review

@supacat... Not a problem... I just wish I could find the original article.... I'm sure it was in autocar or what car???... I just cut and paste the quotation... Lazy I know Embarassed It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #831445 16th May 2020 7:45pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
New Defender ~ Pickup Back On?
Autocar (@autocar) Tweeted:
Land Rover has dropped its strongest hint yet at an upcoming #Defender pick-up, citing ease of production and strong demand https://t.co/xPnhHcbPZT https://t.co/xgAE2UbvK5 https://twitter.com/autocar/status/1361631102675398661?s=20

Click image to enlarge

"Jaguar Land Rover’s executive director of vehicle programmes, Nick Collins, has told Car of the Year that not only is a Defender pick-up feasible but that “there is customer demand” enough to justify one.

Collins confirmed that “there were no structural limitations” to a Defender pick-up and that “you can make a pick-up from a monocoque” – although nearly all mainstream pick-ups are based on vehicles with a separate chassis and body.

“We always said the Defender would be a family,” Collins said, and that while talking about future plans should be “saved for another day”, we should “watch this space” with regards to a pick-up.

An open-backed Defender would be aimed squarely at the hugely popular utilitarian market in the US and the burgeoning pick-up market in Europe. It would also stand to help Land Rover steal some sales from the long-reigning Toyota Land Cruiser in developing markets including South America and Africa.

As previously reported by Autocar, the Defender pick-up will be offered with a choice of petrol and diesel units from the standard Defender line-up and likely offered exclusively in long-wheelbase 110 guise. "
Post #885839 16th Feb 2021 12:51pm
Tim in Scotland

Really odd that now they say it’s possible after telling us that it wasn’t possible to build a pickup on the monocoque platform!
Maybe the new chairman is moving the brand back into the realms of the real world. Will they be dumping Gerry too?
The folks looking for Cherry Pickers and snow ploughs have something to hope for too! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #885845 16th Feb 2021 1:12pm
J77

Scotland 
They’ve never claimed it wasn’t possible just that it was difficult and possibly not worth the costs. Change of heart maybe due to the uptake of the Hard Top models?

Will this take precedence over the 130? 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #885850 16th Feb 2021 1:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>