↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Has anyone ordered one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 30 <123 456 ... 282930>
Print this entire topic · 
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
AndrewS wrote:
Zed wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
I've ordered one, however I'm not happy about the the cost or lack of space in the boot. It's for work.

What type of work will it be required to do?

Carry tools blokes and equipment all over the UK. (not much equipment Rolling Eyes )

Canceled my order, the car is clearly not ready for launch. Limited engine choice and only the 110 body option. They have seriously Censored it IMO. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #798780 19th Oct 2019 3:52pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
How's that gone down with the dealer? Any attempt to keep you on side or a quiet nod that you may just be right?
Post #798788 19th Oct 2019 5:32pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Dealers had nothing to say as they dont know anything. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #798806 19th Oct 2019 9:10pm
ids

United Kingdom 
I suspect some of the vehicle will get re-worked between now and then. I think what we have seen are very late pre-production models that will have to have modifications. I'm worried being a brand new class of vehicle may end up being a test bed. You know the MY2021 models will be much better.

I keep asking myself do I want to be a beta tester of a 50K vehicle ?

Dealers are more in the dark than us. Most havn't even seen it..... mine was interested in my posts !
Post #798964 21st Oct 2019 8:36pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Saw some pictures of a Defender SVR last night.

Now it gets interesting.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/d...ith-500bhp 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #799297 24th Oct 2019 11:50am
RDR

United Kingdom 
Nice, think they could go more aggressive on looks though. Widen the arches a bit etc. It will sell. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #799300 24th Oct 2019 12:48pm
Supacat

Isn't it an SVX version we should all be clamouring for?
Post #799311 24th Oct 2019 1:43pm
ids

United Kingdom 
Supacat wrote:

What a 100K (probably) car ? Good luck to you if thats the case....

I dont see the point. Surely for that sort of money you would buy a FFRR and do it properly with style...
Post #799359 24th Oct 2019 7:16pm
King Luis

Canada 
i'm interested in more details for the mhev and phev. no diesel available in NA and fuel figures have yet to be released. it's a definite front runner for my next vehicle purchase. competing with the Volvo V90 CC (which I'd like to have as a hybrid). my purchase would mostly likely be in 2021.
Post #799364 24th Oct 2019 7:49pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
RDR wrote:
Nice, think they could go more aggressive on looks though. Widen the arches a bit etc. It will sell.

But don't expect to park it in a UK parking space and actually get out of the thing. I wrote about my recent experience with my wife's Velar - the New Defender is wider again, any wider and you will have to behave like a Porsche owner or exit the vehicle via the rear door and get complaints from those parked either side.

I guess for £100k JLR could throw in some retractable rear steps and grab handle. Rolling with laughter
Post #799368 24th Oct 2019 8:28pm
Supacat

ids wrote:
Supacat wrote:

I dont see the point. Surely for that sort of money you would buy a FFRR and do it properly with style...

The point for me would be to see how the base vehicle could be "improved" with a view only to off road ability. Not sure what a FFRR has to do with it?

As JLR described the D5 SVX "the pinnacle of the Discovery family" and used words like "hardcore", the Defender is the hardcore model in the whole JLR range, and the Defender SVX would be the most hardcore variant in the model range. My definition of the pinnacle...

Or to quote JLR again SVX "represents an extreme expression of all-terrain capability".

Just look at the D5 SVX spec to see what could be done:

*5.0-litre Supercharged V8 petrol powertrain, tuned to deliver 525PS peak power and 625Nm torque

* Hydraulic Active Roll Control (H-ARC) system, which gives increased wheel articulation and improved body control, enhancing extreme off-road traction

* improved approach, departure and breakover angles, achieved by raising both the lightweight aluminium monocoque architecture and the four-corner air suspension system

* long-travel dampers and revised knuckles

* larger 815mm diameter 275/55 R20 Goodyear Wrangler all-terrain tyres on forged aluminium alloy wheels

* unique software calibrations for the eight-speed Automatic Transmission

"To visually reflect Discovery SVX’s inherent robustness and go-further ability, Land Rover designers have referenced features of iconic Discovery off-road challenge vehicles, such as those used for Camel Trophy and G4 Challenge events, to give SVX a distinctive, aggressive and purposeful appearance inside and out."

I'd like to see one...
Post #799422 25th Oct 2019 6:39am
King Luis

Canada 
i forget where i read it, autocar website i think, they said that someone from JLR has said that the Defender platform has given JLR great base to build many different variations of the Defender. so maybe an SVR for Road/Race. SVX for Extreme off road, SVAutobiography for Luxury.
Post #799479 25th Oct 2019 1:54pm
Tim in Scotland

It wasn’t too much of a surprise that LR would want to do factory built specials as 2 years ago Gerry McGovern did say he wanted a big slice of Kahn’s, Urban’s and Overfinch’s sales of “bespoke” vehicles. I agree that maybe an SVX Exteme Defender might be a better way to go than an SVR. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #799481 25th Oct 2019 2:22pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
ids wrote:

I keep asking myself do I want to be a beta tester of a 50K vehicle ?

Exactly this point. I'm sure the 2021 or 2022 vehicles will have the spec and gremlins sorted out properly, by 2023 we will know about all the 'this part fails after 75k' and also get a proper feels for general reliability. Residuals will also be a guide of sorts as to how well the product has performed.

If my P38 can be flummoxed by parking it to close to a phone mast, it will be interesting to see how will something with 85 ecus will cope!
Post #799487 25th Oct 2019 3:14pm
ids

United Kingdom 
Supacat wrote:
ids wrote:
Supacat wrote:

The point for me would be to see how the base vehicle could be "improved" with a view only to off road ability. Not sure what a FFRR has to do with it?

As JLR described the D5 SVX "the pinnacle of the Discovery family" and used words like "hardcore", the Defender is the hardcore model in the whole JLR range, and the Defender SVX would be the most hardcore variant in the model range. My definition of the pinnacle...

Or to quote JLR again SVX "represents an extreme expression of all-terrain capability".

Just look at the D5 SVX spec to see what could be done:

*5.0-litre Supercharged V8 petrol powertrain, tuned to deliver 525PS peak power and 625Nm torque

* Hydraulic Active Roll Control (H-ARC) system, which gives increased wheel articulation and improved body control, enhancing extreme off-road traction

* improved approach, departure and breakover angles, achieved by raising both the lightweight aluminium monocoque architecture and the four-corner air suspension system

* long-travel dampers and revised knuckles

* larger 815mm diameter 275/55 R20 Goodyear Wrangler all-terrain tyres on forged aluminium alloy wheels

* unique software calibrations for the eight-speed Automatic Transmission

"To visually reflect Discovery SVX’s inherent robustness and go-further ability, Land Rover designers have referenced features of iconic Discovery off-road challenge vehicles, such as those used for Camel Trophy and G4 Challenge events, to give SVX a distinctive, aggressive and purposeful appearance inside and out."

I'd like to see one...

Sorry dude - just read again..... that was the D5 SVX not the Defender. Surely roles are backwards ????

However I said......

OK. Looking at it it certianly does not say to me off-road optimised. Things like the little aerofoils on the door/wing area ? Bigger and bigger still 20" rims. If you look at true motorsport - IE WRC cars for instance - are going much faster, and have much bigger brakes, however they still run smaller rims on gravel. In fact 15" with tall profile, whereas 18" on tarmac. Yes they look great

I'm not convinced but then again my opinion does not count as i'm already wincing at spending 50K....

Them that can, fair enough if that floats yer boat.
Post #799511 25th Oct 2019 6:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 30 <123 456 ... 282930>