↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Has anyone ordered one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 30 <123 45 ... 282930>
Print this entire topic · 
zilch

Australia 
hear you Tim, i tried spec'ing up the SE Sport, and added all the goodies that come standard on the
P400 SE, and there was a clear and significant hit to the pocket.. and as mine have always been used offroad as
you can attest to from the rrsport site.. i am happy to invest in the new Defender and keep a whole
load of cash at the same time.. may go some way to paying for the tow trucks in the back of beyond Laughing Whistle yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #798591 18th Oct 2019 6:53am
Tim in Scotland

The reason I would like one is that I could sell my present 2 cars and reduce to one that will still get me off-roading but good for weekly runs to town and longer journies of adventure. I’m currently planning an Iceland trip and possibly a run to North Cape to check off seeing the last of the great lighthouses of the world - I done the other 5 from seaward but will be happy to get the 6th from landward unless I can get a ferry trip round it! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #798621 18th Oct 2019 11:44am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I placed an order after seeing it at the IAA Frankfurt Show.

After going through the configurator I decided on the First Edition as the spec is high for the money.

My dealer has told me that the ONLY model and spec anyone can order for delivery by the middle of 2020 will be the 110 SE D240 and NO extras.

Land Rover UK PR also told me that dealers will not have cars that can be used for test drives until April 2020, and in-dealer launches will be late january 2020 onwards,

Why have a First Edition, if this is not the First Edition?!! Crazy

I am also tempted to change my order to the 130 version for whenever that arrives in 2021. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #798626 18th Oct 2019 12:12pm
Tim in Scotland

Sounds like they are trying to break in the new factory gradually. Glad I don’t want to change my car until late 2020/ early 2021 but disappointing that after all the fanfare the car isn’t actually ready for launch when they said it would. As you say RRUK the logic of delaying First Edition cars until after a lower spec is on sale (hence lower margins) defies explanation and will only loose the company potential customers who will shift to the next big launch vehicle from another marque. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #798639 18th Oct 2019 1:59pm
Adventure110

United Kingdom 
At the Lode Lane preview on Monday this week , we were told First Edition 110 ( with D240) and SE 110 with D240 would be first off the line with a Spring 2020 delivery date , the others would follow 3 months later. I tried to make the point that this was such a confused launch with Dealers having very little information , and why in the current climate was there no mention or detail on the PHEV ? I only got a "corporate" answer back talking about the complications of a worldwide launch ! There was no confirmation of a 130 given either.
Post #798645 18th Oct 2019 2:41pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
i got the feeling from my dealer some of the options in particular the ladder are delayed so it might also depend what your after as to when you get it. I wonder if they need type approval or other testing still on some things or just they haven't got the supply chain in place ! 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #798675 18th Oct 2019 6:58pm
zilch

Australia 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
The reason I would like one is that I could sell my present 2 cars and reduce to one

my plan was to trade in the Sport, (circa $15-18K) to minimise the additional pay out to approx $100K AUD (52K Sterling),
but the boss wants to keep it (hers apparently!!) so it looks like i will be stuck with a 10 year old RRS even after the
Defender turns up Rolling Eyes The defender can be used as the chelsea tractor and the Sport the bush basher..a bit ironic yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #798704 18th Oct 2019 9:47pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
RDR wrote:
i got the feeling from my dealer some of the options in particular the ladder are delayed so it might also depend what your after as to when you get it. I wonder if they need type approval or other testing still on some things or just they haven't got the supply chain in place !

Or just haven't got the orders to forge forward at full speed?
Post #798729 19th Oct 2019 7:40am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I think the social acceptability of this new Defender might be having a big knock on its sales. I viewed at Lode lane and most questions were asking around the BEV and PHEV powertrains, the lack of which is making buyers uneasy. New diesel purchases are not seen as something to tell your mates about anymore, it’s now seen as wrecking the planet and filling children’s lungs with particles. The GFV’s on all LR and RR stuff is at an all time low. Why? Reliability might be one reason but I believe it’s how the SUV with an oil burner is viewed by the man in the street. It’s fast approaching the point where it’s as acceptable as drink driving.

I had a call from a close Defender buddy who can afford to buy one and has a spec in with his local dealer. Went to see it at blue water yesterday. Long chat about how he felt it was cheap inside and cramped BUT the choice of propulsion was his main gripes and left him feeling like it was outdated before birth. Canx his order same day.

I don’t think most of us are exposed to the average buyer that has the cash (not PCP) for one. They are now able to buy a Tesla for £40k that does 80% of their motoring needs with a perceived greener plant as a result. That company has shaken the foundation of car buying and manufacturing forever. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #798741 19th Oct 2019 9:04am
Tim in Scotland

Familymad I also think that with all the problems that all manufacturers (and it isn’t just JLR) are having with DPF’s and oil dilution issues with Diesel engines is also putting buyers off. Also the buying public was mis-sold Diesel engines used in cars being used on short stop/start drives - the worst possible running conditions for diesels that like to be operated at temperature and constant rpms. Actually diesels are right for big SUV type vehicles but not when they are used for short journies to the supermarket or school. If you live out in the sticks and do plenty of journies when the engine gets to warm up fully before switching off either at the end of the trip or because the auto stop/start has cut in then diesels are still a good bet. I live in the country in a village, my shortest trip to get anywhere is 9 miles, I have a neighbour who has a Diesel enginesd Mini old enough to not have a DPF yet he still has loads of problems as he uses it to commute 2 miles each way to and from work - flat batteries are most of his problems but also dire fuel economy.

I am going to the Glasgow viewing of the new Defender next weekend and for sure I will be asking why it hasn’t been launched with a PHEV engine version - that was the version I was interested in and when I was part of a customer focus group 2 years ago I said then that JLR really needed to be engineering it with a PHEV version to be available at launch. TBH it could still be launched with one as JLR already have 2 PHEV models (P400E RRS and L405 FFRR) with a 2.0ltr Petrol Ingenium engine and both those cars are similar weight to the new Defender. I suspect one reason that JLR are cagey is more that they have been surprised at the poor feedback that they are launching the cars with 2.0ltr engines that despite the claimed more than adequate power and torque outputs, the buyers don’t see a 2.0 capacity engine as being big enough for the job. I test drove a D240 Disco5, it felt terribly underpowdered after my SDV6 RRS, but once up to speed was fine, but low speed pick-up was verging one dangerous Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 19th Oct 2019 10:25am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #798748 19th Oct 2019 10:03am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Good points and agree.

Funnily enough the V8 is getting the same attitudes on the petrol side of the fence

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/new-cars...der-threat 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #798750 19th Oct 2019 10:21am
zilch

Australia 
test drove the 240HP D5 today to see if i could live with the engine in a heavier defender,
the answer was no, so I have put a deposit down on the SE 110, P400 in Eiger/Black roof
with a few extrras' , such as the dora the explorer pack, tow pack (includes T2), black pack,
19" black alloys. 5+2 seating.. not much more to add to be honest.. Decided diesel was not a good
idea from a green ethical perspective, i need to burn far more fossil fuel in a straight 6 turbocharged
variant Laughing Thumbs Up roll on May/June (fingers crossed) yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #798763 19th Oct 2019 11:16am
Tim in Scotland

Zilch I can recommend speccing the e-diff or offroad pack. On my last RRS the eDiff proved its worth even on road, it worked quite hard driving on wet grass and deep mud on 22” wheels! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 19th Oct 2019 12:43pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #798766 19th Oct 2019 11:44am
zilch

Australia 
I did ask about the ediff, as I have this option on the sport, they stated there has been
Very little demand Question Question might do a bit more investigation Tim yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #798769 19th Oct 2019 12:28pm
NMBRPL8

Australia 
I waited till the Aussie prices came out but now I can't get the configurator to work.
can anybody help me with how to select live axles, manual gearbox and the side mounted pet grooming kit?

for the back?
Post #798776 19th Oct 2019 2:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 30 <123 45 ... 282930>