↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 130 won’t go above 58mph
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Bradders130

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Indus Silver
130 won’t go above 58mph
Can anyone help me out here please? I have a 130 that I’ve just recently put a new tub onto. This has taken me about 8 months to complete and included lots of welding amongst other things. During that time it was not driven on the road. Anyway, having finally finished I took it out last night and went up the motorway, only to find that it won’t go above a Speedo indicated 58mph in any gear, well 4th, 5th and 6th anyway. Pulls lock a train up to that point, starts fine and idles like a dream, no warning lights and it revs freely, it just won’t go faster that 58.
I’ve read a lot of threads on here about the VCV and EGR valve, but they seem to be accompanied by poor running.
I’ve had the Nanocom on it which states that there are no faults on read tested side, on the read not tested (still don’t understand what that actually means despite reading the explanation over and over again) there is, “too much fault data to process. Please consult the user manual for further information”. On the read permanent there are no faults shown. The speed setting is set at 140kph.
So I am stumped on this - anyone got any clues as I’m hoping to go away in it on Friday😬
Post #958708 18th Jul 2022 12:22pm
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Hi Bradders130 did it go over that speed before it was taken off the road for the work to commence, I'm only asking as if its come from a fleet could it have been fitted with an after market speed limiter, as some fleet owners do? I hope you get to the bottom of it Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #958710 18th Jul 2022 12:42pm
Bradders130

Hi Barneyboy, this is the thing, I’m sure that it was fine before, as I did about 300 odd miles in it to run the tank down. However, with no other symptoms at all, it just feels like it is being governed, but I don’t know how that can be if it was previously ok. The only thing I can think of is that I’ve hit something on the Nanocom by mistake and without realising.
I’m going to try the Environment Agency and see what they say.
Thanks for your input though.
Post #958715 18th Jul 2022 1:35pm
Barneyboy

Hi Bradders130, Thumbs Up just a thought, does it have Cruise control as that could also be a tell tale sign of an optional speed limiter having been fitted also some do have a plug n play pedal harness that will be visible up in the Drivers footwell? I'm sure whatever it is, with the knowledge on this forum it will quickly be sorted and corrected. Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #958720 18th Jul 2022 2:35pm
Bradders130

Cheers Paul, no there’s no cruise fitted and nothing that I can be see in the footwell. I’m taking it to S&S diesels in Southampton tomorrow who will have a look at it. If it isn’t a speed limiter then I do not have a scooby what it might be.
I’ll keep you posted Thumbs Up
Post #958723 18th Jul 2022 2:54pm
Barneyboy

Thumbs Up I'm sure you will also get some comments from other members on here by early evening that may help with this, it tends to be a bit busier then Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #958724 18th Jul 2022 3:04pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
As it hasn’t been used for a while it might be worth jacking each wheel off the ground to see if any of the brakes are binding.

The only other thing that springs to mind with my TD5 at the moment, it’s not a fan of really hot weather, just doesn’t have the same oomph as it has in normal (UK) temperatures.
Post #958728 18th Jul 2022 3:26pm
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
If it's pulling hard, and then stops. and it's the same in several gears, it must surely be the result of being governed in some way. It's the only thing that would seem to explain it.

I know that doesn't help fix it, but I can't see it being anything around a wider mechanical issue.

It's not had retrofit cruise control fitted has it?
Post #958734 18th Jul 2022 3:38pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Bradders130

Just thought I'd ask the 'left field question'...

Your in High Range... Question SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #958735 18th Jul 2022 3:51pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
What is its history?
Is it ex-utility?
If so probably has an electronic limiter.
Fitted in one of two places either in the driver seat box or behind the lower dash on the drivers side to the left of the fuse box. 2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #958743 18th Jul 2022 4:41pm
Bradders130

Hi Markb110, yeah I did think of that, so when I got back last night I checked all the wheels to see if they were hot and they weren’t, just normal sort of temperature and all the same.

jpboost, I totally agree with you. The only thing that threw me off that scent is that when I first bought it in November last year, I drove it for about 300 miles or so and I’m absolutely sure that it wasn’t limited then, so why on earth would it be now?
About 3 months ago I had a major starting problem which was traced to a couple of bad earths and I was fiddling around with the fuses and relays under the drivers seat. I also removed the 10AS immobiliser and sent it off to Remote Key in Bournemouth who gave it a clean bill of health. I replaced a blown fuse for the air con clutch, and re-secured some wiring under the cubby.
With no other symptoms, it has to be a limiter as mentioned by mwestcrew, which is interesting. Any idea what the limiter Looks like mwestcrew? And yes, it is an ex-environment Agency vehicle and I still have the box for sale if anyone’s interested.
However, that still doesn’t answer the question as to why it wasn’t limited prior to me taking the box off and putting the tub on.
Thanks for your suggestion Skip, my son in law also thought the same thing, but yes, it is in high range, oh, how I wish it was something as simple as that Rolling Eyes
The plot thickens, but I will let you know what happens tomorrow after S&S diesels have had a go.
Post #958785 19th Jul 2022 12:35am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
I know for a fact that E.A. vehicles are fitted with limiters.

If I remember correctly they are made by VDO. Usually you can just unplug the box and the limiter will be removed. Often the boxes had lids with screws that were wire sealed when calibrated. 2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #958792 19th Jul 2022 7:28am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Does it or did it have a tacho fitted?

It is hard to see any explanation other than a limiter based on the behaviour you describe.
Post #958793 19th Jul 2022 7:34am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Must be a electronic limiter. Nothing else would limit it so precisely, and in different gears.

Isn’t it a case that many 2.4’s and 2.2’s were limited to 85mph as standard in their ecu, so to get that adjusted lower would be hard, and not detectable physically, only by driving or playing in ecu (if you understand what’s written in it)

Of you can by plug in units to do the job.

https://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/products/view/sl173910153
Post #958795 19th Jul 2022 8:27am
Bradders130

Hi Blackwolf, so there is no Tachometer fitted and I agree that there must be a limiter somewhere, it’s just a matter of finding it. I will have a look later for something with VDO written on it as indicated by Mwestcrew.
Landyandy, I can see where you are coming from and an electronic limit would seem to be the obvious choice.

So I just had a call from S&S diesels who said that they have had their diagnostic kit on it and can find no reference to any speed limit trickery at all. They mentioned a company called 4x4 west who they have spoken to who reckon that they may be able to flash the ECU but they would make no promises that it would actually change anything.
I’ve been in touch with the environment agency who said that if any speed limit had been fitted, it would’ve been done by the people who converted the vehicle in the first place and fitted the utility box on the back. That was Roger Young whom I have just spoken to and I’m waiting for a call back with regards to whether or not they can help.
Once again, watch this space Rolling Eyes
Post #958823 19th Jul 2022 12:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>