↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 130 won’t go above 58mph
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Are you thinking about a remap?

Pete at BAS may be able to help especially if it’s ECU related? 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #958826 19th Jul 2022 12:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
Strongly advise not letting anybody "flash" the ECU.

Pumas did have a 85mph limiter in the ECU and this can be disabled via a BAS remap.

Have a look in the drivers seat box and see if there is anything non-Land Rover connected, maybe an additional CAN interface. 2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #958827 19th Jul 2022 12:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'm very surprised that it has never had a tacho fitted, I presume that it did not have any towing equipment fitted - to tow any trailer legally for the EA it would need a tacho, and that would generally also involve a speed limiter.

Ex-utility Defender tend to have a mass of extra wiring and typically it is easy to miss something.

I presume also it never had either a hand throttle or rev-increaser (such as for running a winch or inverter) nor a run-lock system? If either of these are present they could include a speed-limiting function
Post #958844 19th Jul 2022 2:20pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
There is a speed limiter in the engine ECU - default factory is 140kph (87mph - probably indicated 90mph or so).

I reckon a 58mph indicated limiter is probably 56mph (90kph).

You can see this in the Nanocom emulator:

https://emulator.nanocom-diagnostics.com/#

Go Defender > Puma, then select 2.2, then Puma Engine > Settings

First thing that pops up is.... Idea

So it's NOT necessary to do an ECU reflash, it's simply an ECU setting.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #958862 19th Jul 2022 4:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bradders130

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Indus Silver
Hi bear100, I may have to think about a remap or similar, but I will need to try and eliminate everything else first.

Blackwolf , I know what you mean re the tacho, but there is no evidence that there was anything fitted that I can see. It has a big drop link towbar on the rear so must have been towing some heavy stuff, compressors and pumps maybe…

Click image to enlarge

There is also no evidence of any rev increaser, run lock or hand throttle.

4x4 West couldn’t help and said that they could flash the ECU and put it back to factory settings, but that there was no guarantees. I’m not going down that route at the moment. I had a call back from Roger Young who said that they did not install any telematics or speed limiters and referred me back to the EA who are basically a deep hole of nothingness where nobody assumes any responsibility for anything. Apparently Revus carry out the maintenance and servicing of the fleet, but would not fit anything like telematics etc. They gave me the number of a chap called Trevor Bragg who is the fleet manager there and I have left a message for him, but don’t expect a call back so will try again tomorrow.

I’ve had the speakers off on both sides and fuse/relay cover off on the drivers side…

Click image to enlarge

and cover on the passenger side and there is nothing at all in there.
I’ve also taken out the centre of the dash and had a good look in there and there is nothing. The only thing is an Autoleads telemute box…

Click image to enlarge

which I think is for muting the radio during a call. There was a mobile phone system installed which I’ve removed and the telemute is all that remains of that.
There is nothing under the drivers seat…

Click image to enlarge

apart from the fuses and relays and a fog lamp box of tricks and there’s nothing under the fuses and relays that I can see using my mobile phone camera.

There is a split charge relay under the passenger seat which isn’t connected to anything at the moment.
And next to it a small yellow relay, but I don’t know what that serves.

Click image to enlarge

There was what I think is a tracker box or similar on the roof…

Click image to enlarge

This has got three thick and one thin coaxial cables coming out, but I don’t think it was actually connected.

I contacted Conrad Anderson as per Landy Andy’s link - thanks. They said that if they had installed anything, there would be a plug in the loom next to the throttle pedal or if soldered, within 4 inches or so and I can’t see anything.

I’m planning to drop the better half in Inverness around the 20th August, and might have to drop in to Pete at BAS and see if he can help should I have no luck before then.

Planning to go away on Friday to help out at a summer camp for around 60 kids, so the aim is to mend it before then Shocked

The next stage is to remove the dash for a really good look to see if there is anything behind. Is that a big/tricky job?

Thanks for all your help so far chaps.
Post #958866 19th Jul 2022 5:22pm
Bradders130

Martin wrote:
There is a speed limiter in the engine ECU - default factory is 140kph (87mph - probably indicated 90mph or so).

I reckon a 58mph indicated limiter is probably 56mph (90kph).

You can see this in the Nanocom emulator:

https://emulator.nanocom-diagnostics.com/#

Go Defender > Puma, then select 2.2, then Puma Engine > Settings

First thing that pops up is.... Idea

So it's NOT necessary to do an ECU reflash, it's simply an ECU setting.

Thanks for that Martin, yep, I’ve been there and it’s set to 140kph.
Post #958867 19th Jul 2022 5:25pm
Bradders130

This is a photo in the engine bay…

Click image to enlarge

I’m presuming that the item on the right of the main ECU, with the red and yellow wire, is a standard fitment item? I have know idea what it is.
Post #958869 19th Jul 2022 5:30pm
blackwolf

Removing the dash is intimidating rather than difficult because there are many fixings, but no particular problems.

Your vehicle certainly is.producing some puzzles! I'm sure Pete can solve the mystery limiter problem, he's nothing short of a magician! Thumbs Up
Post #958870 19th Jul 2022 5:33pm
Bradders130

Ok so this is what I’m thinking, If the main ECU has a speed limiter incorporated into it and that is set to 140kph, then assuming that there is no fault with that, any limiter must be either between that and the fuel pump (assuming the fuel pump has its own ECU) or between the throttle pedal and the main ECU. Does that sound logical?
Post #958872 19th Jul 2022 5:40pm
Bradders130

blackwolf wrote:
Removing the dash is intimidating rather than difficult because there are many fixings, but no particular problems.

Your vehicle certainly is.producing some puzzles! I'm sure Pete can solve the mystery limiter problem, he's nothing short of a magician! Thumbs Up

Thanks Blackwolf, and damn, you’re so right. I should be the puzzle master after all this.

I reckon I’m going to have to give Pete a ring on his technical line tomorrow or pay a visit, although it’s a long way from Southampton Neutral
Post #958873 19th Jul 2022 5:48pm
Martin
Site Admin

Unplug the instrument cluster and take it for a drive with it unplugged.

Use a GPS/phone speedo - does it still limit?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #958875 19th Jul 2022 5:49pm
Bradders130

Thanks for that Martin Thumbs Up . I will try it tomorrow and report back.
Post #958908 19th Jul 2022 8:21pm
Bradders130

So I’ve just been reading about a topic where Pete from BAS mentions the transducer in the gearbox which sends a signal to the instrument cluster for the Speedo and then forwards it to the main engine ECU via the canbus. If the main engine ECU doesn’t get that signal then it cuts power.

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/16645-defen...estrictor/

It makes me wonder if this is my problem.

Is this the line that you were thinking about Martin?
Post #958930 20th Jul 2022 12:16am
blackwolf

Your referring to an extremely old post (2007) when the Puma Defender was new and before Pete had mastered its systems and perfected his remaps.

All the speed info on the Puma does come from the transducer on the t-box and one of the reasons I asked about a tacho is that if one is fitted the vehicle harness has to be disconnected from the transducer and wired via the tacho instead.

As far as I am aware the only effective way to disable the normal speed limiter and still have a functional speedo is to modify the ECU data by means of a remap.
Post #958943 20th Jul 2022 7:43am
Martin
Site Admin

My thought was to remove the speed signal from the CAN bus - the cluster sends this out based on the input it receives from the speedo sensor. If it's not available on the CAN bus the ECU can't limit based on it Whistle

You could also try driving with the speedo sensor unplugged instead so there is a speed signal but it's zero.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #958956 20th Jul 2022 9:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>