↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > BeaTie
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 22 of 26 <123 ... 212223 242526>
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
changed the throttle pedal over, to see if that helps with the problem. it started and still ran like crap, but after a bit of warming up, it seemed happy, switched it off and on a few times and it seems like its old self, but not had a chance to test drive yet. I sealed off the new pedal, with some sealant from work, that can glue brinks together. I am suspecting water has got into the pedal and damaged it, also i am suspecting i have water in the diesel too from the fuel filter end too. But we will see once i put the air intake back together, too bloody cold to do anything. It was freezing over doing the pedal! Got some upgrades on order too, this year its been a bit weak for those due to the funds been low, ( thanks to the crap pay and price of diesel taking the mick) The rev counter i think needs replacing, that looks like its died, so i may replace it with a croytec unit or another TD5. Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #974318 12th Dec 2022 3:52am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Looks like this will have to go on diagnostics, The problem is still there sadly, i tried giving the filter a bleed, case there is water in there. Seems to help. Put a few posts out on facebook anyone local to me who has a diagnostic. So we will see what the hell is going on. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #974438 12th Dec 2022 5:46pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Changed the crank sensor yesterday, just to see if that was causing problems, it was oily. Still the same, its like its missing and over fueling badly now, and to the point the engine light comes on and the car cuts out, when you rev it. Happy on tick over to a certain degree. So going to get it on diagnostics as there is a fault logged. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #974877 16th Dec 2022 2:38pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Could still be the crank sensor wiring loom - crank sensor fault and throttle pedal fault are the only 2 that will put the engine management light on Thumbs Up

First thing to do is go around all the earth points and check/clean them. If they're ok then it could still be the loom.

If someone local has a Nanocom or similar then it'll tell you what faults have been logged Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #974918 16th Dec 2022 8:18pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Fingers crossed this fella that has diagnostic stuff, should point me in the right direction. So i am not blowing anymore money on it. I have kept the throttle pedal just in case the unit i took off is ok.

I will have a check the earths just to see if somethings gone west, when i changed the sensor, that's when it started to act up worse, and put the engine light on, it cut out. But under load it was over fueling and misfiring. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #974943 17th Dec 2022 2:11am
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Sounds to me like the crank sensor loom, especially as disturbing it made it worse..... 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #974951 17th Dec 2022 9:38am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Genuine sensor ?? Cheap aftermarket are hit and miss. And as George says check the wiring. Our defenders are of a certain age and the once bright copper has deteriorated somewhat.

Afterthought….. your glow plugs are working?? You mentioned it freezing up as you finished ?? Like I say just another thought
Post #974952 17th Dec 2022 9:43am
Procta

United Kingdom 
grafty99 wrote:
Sounds to me like the crank sensor loom, especially as disturbing it made it worse.....

i will have a look under the car and around the crank area, for any knackered wires. No one is willing to come and read the codes for me, A local lad that's mobile was supposed to have a look at it yesterday for a reading at the latest. But nothing Rolling Eyes So i will have to check it all again with carb spray under and look for nasties. But the snow has not helped at all. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #975088 19th Dec 2022 3:17am
Procta

United Kingdom 
barbel jim wrote:
Genuine sensor ?? Cheap aftermarket are hit and miss. And as George says check the wiring. Our defenders are of a certain age and the once bright copper has deteriorated somewhat.

Afterthought….. your glow plugs are working?? You mentioned it freezing up as you finished ?? Like I say just another thought

Yeah the temp started to drop where i live, i am close to the sea, so when it freezes it freezes. I did the routine glow plug start up and it fires over with out any trouble, might cough a little, like my 306 does, but that's about it. Its when you start putting on the power it starts to have trouble, and then it cuts out now, and the engine man light comes on. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #975089 19th Dec 2022 3:20am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Fuel pump running ok? One of my td5 would start and run fine, until you drove it…. Was the relay under the drivers seat. Took me a while to find it as it would wine on pre ignition, so I assumed the pump was working fine Rolling Eyes swapped the relay out of desperation …… Mr. Green
Post #975180 19th Dec 2022 10:00pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
i have not ruled that out yet, still waiting on mobile diagnostic to pop out, The EM light is on, so its logged a fault. Not sure if i have a spare Relay from the rover metro Confused Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #975196 20th Dec 2022 1:13am
Procta

United Kingdom 
diagnostic fella has come out, and its points to the crank senor, He looked at the data, and said yeah, id say that's the loom, The data for the injectors was hit and miss, so the throttle setup is ok.
i will put the original sensor back in, with that been a landy part. Me and my dad will have a look at the wiring again. It may need a good clean at the ECU end, before i order a loom for it. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #975242 20th Dec 2022 1:49pm
kenzle8a

Pace Automotive do a special splice loom for the TD5 crank sensor.

https://pace4x4.com/shop/ols/products/td5-crank-sensor-overlay
Post #975254 20th Dec 2022 3:06pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Gave it a clean down, and put the old sensor back in, and it seemed not to put the engine light on, but missing fire on load. So i have just ordered a replacement loom for it, and their sealed harness for the injectors. Rather than faff about anymore, i cannot see any breaks in the loom at all from what i can see.
At least its not the crank sensor Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #975265 20th Dec 2022 4:26pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
got my replacement crank sensor loom, so looks like a job and a half for me Shocked

Click image to enlarge

got those to swop into, but i think i will get the proper pin removal tool 1st, so i can make a better job, I don't want to cock up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #977041 8th Jan 2023 12:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 22 of 26 <123 ... 212223 242526>