↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 200Tdi 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
200Tdi 110
Collected this today. Bit of an impulse purchase.
Seems to be a good base. Galvanised chassis and bulkhead, recon engine and axles, huge history file and obviously owned by an enthusiast. Just a bit cosmetically shabby but I like it

I need to get to grips with the extensive (and largely inoperative) internal electrics then get on and drive it once restrictions allow.

Click image to enlarge
Post #891108 13th Mar 2021 3:34pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
like it, enjoy! Thumbs Up 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #891114 13th Mar 2021 4:37pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
looks a good base there, chances are its bad earths and switches for electrics on defenders. Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #891122 13th Mar 2021 5:23pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
Looks great Thumbs Up BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #891158 13th Mar 2021 7:43pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Superb. Galv chassis and bulkhead a massive plus.

Has it actually been to all the shopping list country's down the side?

I've always wanted to be able to do that....... But putting the English flag next to the French one and the Spanish one on mine probably wouldn't have the same effect!

Actually I can't even claim the French flag. We got the damned ferry to Spain. Blast!
Post #891163 13th Mar 2021 8:01pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I think it has been to all those places. Few other stickers for artic circle and a number of UK adventures as well. Had been well prepared for extended trips with racking in the rear, fridge inside and an internal water tank. Would have been great in it's heyday. New MOT this week.

First look around (dodging the hail this afternoon) and the mechanicals seem very good. Most work done around 2017 but still seems in good shape - £1800 engine recon, silicone hoses, elec fan, recon transfer box, OME suspension and steering damper.

C posts repair panels and replacement sill rails from YRM. Heated puma seats and sooooo many switches for lord only knows what. Wired for two (possibly 3) batteries but only one in there which the garage put on for MOT which I think is why the internal electrics don't work. None of the extra lights do either but the wiring all looks sound with relays and aux fuseboxes.

However, some of the doors are a bit iffy. NS rear is the worst and will need replacing. The others are probably OK but the fit is shocking. Daylight through all the seals and they don't close that well. I can't even open the passenger door now. It flung open whilst leaving the garage after collecting it so I pulled over and gave it a slam and now it seems to be stuck fast. Curses.

On balance though, having sound mechanicals is much better for me and I can work on the cosmetics as time and inclination allows. Priority will be to get the doors functioning correctly and the lights all working. An I think the mahoosive cubby box might need to go, I kept banging my elbow on it changing gear.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #891177 13th Mar 2021 8:36pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Oh, and it drives nicely too Smile
Post #891179 13th Mar 2021 8:38pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
bodstruck wrote:
I think it has been to all those places. Few other stickers for artic circle and a number of UK adventures as well. Had been well prepared for extended trips with racking in the rear, fridge inside and an internal water tank. Would have been great in it's heyday. New MOT this week.

First look around (dodging the hail this afternoon) and the mechanicals seem very good. Most work done around 2017 but still seems in good shape - £1800 engine recon, silicone hoses, elec fan, recon transfer box, OME suspension and steering damper.

C posts repair panels and replacement sill rails from YRM. Heated puma seats and sooooo many switches for lord only knows what. Wired for two (possibly 3) batteries but only one in there which the garage put on for MOT which I think is why the internal electrics don't work. None of the extra lights do either but the wiring all looks sound with relays and aux fuseboxes.

However, some of the doors are a bit iffy. NS rear is the worst and will need replacing. The others are probably OK but the fit is shocking. Daylight through all the seals and they don't close that well. I can't even open the passenger door now. It flung open whilst leaving the garage after collecting it so I pulled over and gave it a slam and now it seems to be stuck fast. Curses.

On balance though, having sound mechanicals is much better for me and I can work on the cosmetics as time and inclination allows. Priority will be to get the doors functioning correctly and the lights all working. An I think the mahoosive cubby box might need to go, I kept banging my elbow on it changing gear.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I had those wheels on my 300 TDI and the tyres are lethal in the wet! i would put standard wheels and tyres back on! Those have to be the cheapest of the cheapest tyres you can get, Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #891194 13th Mar 2021 9:13pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
The fronts are pretty much on the legal limit so I will be changing them. I will either get another pair of BFG AT to match the rears or put on my spare set of wolf wheels with Goodyear MT/R on.
Agreed though, that should be on the priority list.
Post #891201 13th Mar 2021 9:28pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
The doors are turning out to be a challenge Smile
The NSR won't open from the inside, not had a chance to look at that yet. It will need replacing at some point as it is very rotten.
The OSR has been replaced with a new one at some point which is good.
The drivers door seems to be OK but alignment is poor.
Passenger door was a huge pain. It just would not open no matter what I tried. I managed to get the top of the door card off and have a ferret around but that was no help. After a couple of hours of exasperation I resorted to cutting through the door striker plate with a hacksaw blade. Turns out the problem was a mix of a gummed up and dirty lock and the small spring on the door handle being broken which was stopping the mechanism returning. A good clean and lube has helped but a new door handle is required really.

The internal electrics are also a challenge. It has been wired for three batteries and has a second alternator which is good. What is less good is the lack of wiring diagrams and a mountain of wire, relays and switches to try and make sense of. It appears to have been done really well but with limited info on the wiring it will take a while of trial and error to get to the bottom of it. So far I have found 4 auxiliary fuseboxes.

Under drivers seat. 2 aux fuseboxes and many relays

Click image to enlarge

Batter box has been replaced with a deeper unit. Split charge relay and a whole heap of wires again. And three megafuses

Click image to enlarge

So far the fan switch is the only one I have managed to see working.

Click image to enlarge

There is another bank of carling switches on the other side of the cubby box as well.

Click image to enlarge

Investigations continue. The ejector seat seams to be inoperative Sad
Post #891644 15th Mar 2021 9:02pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
The brakes are shocking and the osf caliper has been leaking so decided to replace the lot. Not sure of it was necessary but opted for vented discs and matching calipers..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And with the new shiny bits on.

Click image to enlarge

Took about 2 hours per side in the end. Luckily I had a pair of new brake pipes in the box of spares I got with the car. They were even the right ones for the new calipers rather than the old ones. Result Thumbs Up
Post #908525 19th Jun 2021 12:02pm
L110CDL

England 
It's good when a plan comes together Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #909176 23rd Jun 2021 8:27pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I have been resisting the urge to do much to this. Need to focus my efforts on finishing the td5 and then deciding if I am going to keep it or not. I am leaning towards keeping this one and selling the td5 as I like the simplicity of the tdi engine and with its recon engine and galv chassis this is a solid truck.

I have a coast to coast trip across Lancashire and Yorkshire in September and I am going to take this one. Main upgrade for this trip will be a winch bumper to fit the Warn winch I have hiding in the garage.

I have got to the bottom of all the electrics which is handy. I still think it is waaay to complicated.

Last time I went out for a day's laning I got stuck a couple of times as I could not engage the difflock. I thought it might have been seized from lack of use. When I got home I took off the gaitor ready to set to with the WD40 to try and free it off. Confusingly the mechanism was smooth and engaged very easily. Turns out that it was a problem with the rubber gaitor. It was either a rubbish one or not quite the right one. There was not enough room to allow the lever to travel fully so it would not engage. Swapped for another one and all was well Thumbs Up

Old one on the left, replacement on the right.

Click image to enlarge

You can see the restricted 'hole' in the old one. Odd.

Click image to enlarge

I have temporarily fitted some wolf rims with Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. White but I quite like the look of them Smile
Oddly, this is the only pic I have with the rims in view.

Click image to enlarge

I may yet fit the 33 x 12.5 BFG M/Ts that I bought for the other one or perhaps some Cooper Discoverer STT Pro in standard size.
Post #915472 4th Aug 2021 5:08pm
L110CDL

England 
Liking the way your thinking with keeping this 110 Very Happy

The rubber gaiter on the right is the same one that is on Millie Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #915511 4th Aug 2021 8:59pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I have a four day trip coming up in a couple of weeks so a few jobs in preparation for that:
Fit different tyres. The MT'R were a good compromise but more of an A/T than an M/T I think.
Fit a newly sourced winch bumper and then fit the Warn 9.5cti lurking in the garage.
See if I can get my southdown rear tank guard and towbar thingy to fit this one.
And probably some new mirrors as these ones are all floppy.

First job - Tyres. BFG KM2 Mud Terrain 33 x 12.50 x 15:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next job - winch bumper and winch:

Click image to enlarge

Then tank guard. Although I am not completely convinced this will fit this chassis. Hope so.

Click image to enlarge
Post #919778 3rd Sep 2021 12:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>