↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Fatbarons 300tdi 110's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 13 <123 45 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
P.S. if you’re set on fixing it there’s a company on Facebook called Replacement Chassis Parts which does various bits including your crossmember right up to full 1/2 chassis.

Click image to enlarge
Post #694850 20th Mar 2018 9:30am
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
Cheers Retro, any idea how trustworthy that company is? I've had a look at their stuff and it seems pretty cheap.

She's a keeper for sure. I'm going to try to save the chassis. The front half is fine, it's the rear half that's poor with the last 1/4 shot.
Post #695359 22nd Mar 2018 6:09am
Procta

United Kingdom 
if the back end is shot, id just replace the full chassis. By the time you have sorted the rear out, you could have installed a replacement chassis. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #695364 22nd Mar 2018 6:57am
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
I rebuilt my 110 a couple of years ago and the budget was always for a new galvanised chassis. When i stripped it down it wasn't as bad as i thought so i considered saving the original chassis. I wouldn't trust my own welding on something as structurally important as a chassis so i priced up the cost of someone else welding it + a new cross member. Once the chassis was structurally sound i then wanted to get it galvanised or i'd be doing the job again in a few years. Add that lot up and a new galvanised chassis was a no brainer.
Post #695367 22nd Mar 2018 8:10am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Fatbaron wrote:
Cheers Retro, any idea how trustworthy that company is? I've had a look at their stuff and it seems pretty cheap.

She's a keeper for sure. I'm going to try to save the chassis. The front half is fine, it's the rear half that's poor with the last 1/4 shot.

Not sure, seems they get good feedback but I’ve no experience myself. I was going to get their rear half chassis for my 90 but in the end decided to just swap the whole thing as once the rot is at a certain stage there’s really no stopping it in my opinion.
Post #695383 22nd Mar 2018 10:13am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I'd go galv.... looking at your chassis, I've scrapped way better chassis than that one Shocked

You might as well do it whilst you're at that stage, than do it in a few years time.
Richards Chassis now offer finance!
Post #695391 22nd Mar 2018 10:47am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I was preparing my car for it’s MOT on Monday and had to stop when a small hole turned into this with just my fingers:

Click image to enlarge

Annoyingly I was supposed to be swapping the whole chassis this week but due to delays at Marsland I had to resort to repairing it for the MOT. However once I found the above I decided not to and went and bought a cheap runabout instead to tide me over until the new chassis arrives and I can swap it.

The point being that it’s always worse than it looks. Yours looks worse than mine, the bottom of the crossmember has come away where the A-frame arm attaches. Bank on replacing the whole rear 1/2 chassis if you must repair it, those repair sections join just forward of the A-frame crossmember so ensure the rails are solid there first.

It would also be wise to ensure that the rest of the chassis (i.e. front half) is 100% as otherwise you’re wasting a lot of money and time given the work involved in stripping down and rebuilding.
Post #695445 22nd Mar 2018 4:26pm
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
It's been a while since I've been on here and haven't done much to the Landy as my other toy, and only commute now, needed some love.

Having Clayton pop over with a much needed second opinion, I've decided to go for at least a rear 1/4 replacement if not the 1/2 replacement. The front 1/2 of the chassis is okay. It looks like it's been treated at some point and the occasional oil leak seems to have protected it. (a very clever life extending idea from Land Rover?!? Confused )

I'll treat the lot myself with the normal rust proofing gubbins which will give me a few years to save for a galvanised chassis or wait till a kid leaves home so I can afford one! Rolling Eyes

I'll be spending this weekend in the workshop so will update with a few more pics...
Post #700479 13th Apr 2018 6:27am
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
Well... I reckon I might be in for a new replacement galv chassis!

I think I've finally managed to convince the other half that it's worth the £££s to keep her going for another 25 years. Thumbs Up

I've been searching for reviews on Richards/Marsland and they both seem to have pros/cons. I'm leaning towards Richards as they seem cheaper and are thicker steel.

Any opinions on either please?
Post #703331 26th Apr 2018 4:05pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Good decision Thumbs Up

I've just ordered a new glav chassis from Richards, extremely good customer service so far, had some questions regarding engine mounts and stuff since mine is a 300tdi Disco conversion and they were very helpful in getting it all sorted out.

Other reasons I went for Richards:
1) Cheaper than anyone else, especially since they are quite local to me so I can go and fetch it to avoid ~£100 delivery charge.

2) Willing to accommodate the modifications I need for the conversion

3) I could be wrong but I think Marslands only sell to trade now?

Anyway, certainly not regretted my choice so far.

PS: Richards have quoted a lead time of around 8 weeks which is fine for me as I can't do anything until July anyway. Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #703333 26th Apr 2018 4:29pm
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
8 weeks? Shocked

I was hoping to see how your thread goes before I order mine. Guess we could end up swapping them at the same time..ish!
Post #703340 26th Apr 2018 5:25pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Yeah I was glad I got my order in early.

Hoping to do a fairly quick (long weekend maybe) swap with the 'body off as one' technique to keep the time it's off the road to a minimum and then do all the other bits maybe one evening/weekend at a time as a rolling restoration.

I'll keep my thread up to date with the swap when I get me hands on the chassis Thumbs Up Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #703365 26th Apr 2018 7:23pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Wise choice, only so much you can patch a chassis. With you going to the point of welding half a replacement on, you might as well just go the full hog. Thumbs Up
saves you time, Plus with you having yours in bits practically. it would make life a hell of a lot easier As you can renew bits as you go Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #703391 26th Apr 2018 8:53pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
trickster5000 wrote:
Yeah I was glad I got my order in early.

Hoping to do a fairly quick (long weekend maybe) swap with the 'body off as one' technique to keep the time it's off the road to a minimum and then do all the other bits maybe one evening/weekend at a time as a rolling restoration.

I'll keep my thread up to date with the swap when I get me hands on the chassis Thumbs Up

I would say you will need more time there, sods law will throw somthing at you Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #703393 26th Apr 2018 8:54pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Demand for new chassis is huge at the moment. I ordered my new 90’s chassis from Marsland first week of January, it only arrived this week. Richards are the main other supplier but there is also Shielder Chassis who are fairly new and I believe a number of other companies (including Replacement Chassis Parts) are lining up to start making them too.

For Marsland yes you’ll now need to buy through a third party of some kind. I used the local LR place and so paid the ‘normal’ price or thereabouts. You can get one quicker through Britpart or Bearmach but you’ll pay an extra £500 or so for the privilege. I’m led to believe that part of the reason the lead time is so long is that the big resellers get priority on the units made... money talks!

In my opinion Marsland are worth the extra over Richards and the others as they are genuine GKN chassis suitably modified and so match the original construction. Richards have a good reputation for doing ‘special’ modifications etc. but the chassis I had off them had some dimensional faults which caused some body alignment issues. That was eight years ago though to be fair.
Post #703438 26th Apr 2018 10:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 13 <123 45 ... 111213>