↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Main Grenadier discussion thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 24 of 106 <123 ... 232425 ... 104105106>
Print this entire topic · 
Philip

United Kingdom 
If you’re bothered by the Defender’s looks, the Grenadier probably isn’t the one - it looks like a Chinese rip-off called in over the phone.
Post #886143 17th Feb 2021 4:58pm
Slideywindows

England 
Compare the number of "haters" on here for the L663 to the number of haters for the Grenadier as evidenced on this thread - (one?)

I know goodwill isn't sales, but it must be encouraging for Ineos, especially as many of the comments below their video are saying "Take my money now!"

Back to Alpine Lights.

They were first introduced on SI Station Wagons and mainly - especially on the LWB versions - because the chassis design meant that passengers in the middle row seats were sitting much higher than those on the front seats.

Without the Alpine lights, visibility was much restricted as your head was up closer to the roof.

If the design of the Grenadier puts the middle row seats lower, so you can get a good side view from the windows, Alpine Lights become unnecessary.
Post #886159 17th Feb 2021 7:14pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Philip wrote:
An Autocar error.

No ~ entirely yours ~ what did it have to do with Bowler's press office?

Philip wrote:
Current Bowler CSP chassis is laser-cut aluminium, unless their press office is lying

You only have to look at that chassis to see if the lattice frame was aluminium it wouldn't be lasting very long in any rally raid.

Why not provide a link for this Autocar article?

Bluest wrote:
Car manufacturers have been obsessed with boasting about chassis rigidity for ages now, but I'm convinced that it is born out of the trend for ever sportier, race car like handling. To a lesser extent I think it helps with perceived quality too, i.e. fewer squeaks and rattles. I don't believe it has much, if any bearing on whether a vehicle is actually robust and durable or not or whether it is a strong utility vehicle.

Absolutely.

You can see how easy it is to hoodwink some people...
Post #886162 17th Feb 2021 7:25pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Slideywindows wrote:
If the design of the Grenadier puts the middle row seats lower, so you can get a good side view from the windows, Alpine Lights become unnecessary.

I wonder if it would be inconceivable that they couldn't be converted to alpine lights, either instead of the tie downs; or even better in addition to. It would just need a concave, rather than convex, piece of glass?
Post #886163 17th Feb 2021 7:33pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Supacat wrote:

Indeed.

“It is universally recognized that torsional stiffness is one of the most important properties of a vehicle chassis...”

https://saemobilus.sae.org/content/2010-01-0094/

Not sure alpine windows are going to happen looking at the pictures inside the body, there’s a deep box section running along the top of the pillars:

Post #886166 17th Feb 2021 7:58pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
The new Defender has the most rigid aluminium chassis (unibody) produced by Land Rover but it is no more rigid than the old Freelander 2 and less rigid than the old L322 RR. With the Grenadier taking the same approach, of steel body on ladder frame chassis, it's unlikely to be lacking in rigidity.
Post #886169 17th Feb 2021 8:16pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Philip wrote:
Supacat wrote:

Indeed.

“It is universally recognized that torsional stiffness is one of the most important properties of a vehicle chassis...”

https://saemobilus.sae.org/content/2010-01-0094/

Not sure alpine windows are going to happen looking at the pictures inside the body, there’s a deep box section running along the top of the pillars:

The abstract goes on to say that the reason it is important is for dynamic and vibration/resonance. 2 things that will be less of a priority in Grenadier than in a Land Rover product. You can't have premium verticallity if it is wobbling over the place 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #886172 17th Feb 2021 8:19pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
milesr3 wrote:
The new Defender has the most rigid aluminium chassis (unibody) produced by Land Rover but it is no more rigid than the old Freelander 2 and less rigid than the old L322 RR. With the Grenadier taking the same approach, of steel body on ladder frame chassis, it's unlikely to be lacking in rigidity.

Figures around the internet seem to vary (think some cars are listed as Nm/mm rather than Nm/degree) - LR said the new Defender was “the stiffest Land Rover body ever created”, but the Freelander 2, L322 and L663 (all monocoque) are all around 30k Nm/degree (28k, 29k, 30k, 32k from various sources).

If you believe the LR comparison, the old Defender was surprisingly stiff (despite the flimsy body) - and the new G Class is surprisingly flexible (maybe just the limitations of the construction).

The Grenadier’s build looks fairly substantial so it will be interesting to know where it fits in.
Post #886178 17th Feb 2021 8:57pm
milesr3

Click image to enlarge
Post #886181 17th Feb 2021 9:20pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Yes - others are less specific:

“... the stiffest Land Rover body ever created”

https://media.landrover.com/en-us/news/201...r-defender
Post #886182 17th Feb 2021 9:24pm
milesr3

Not entirely truthful though is it, when it’s less rigid than one of their own traditional body on frame designs.
Post #886188 17th Feb 2021 9:41pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Which one is that?
Post #886196 17th Feb 2021 9:53pm
Black Puma

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Sumatra Black
This is encouraging. Appreciate that Ineos have been transparent about the process and brought us along for the journey. Kudos on that.

Disappointment has been obvious over certain aspects, as we have witnessed the development unfold. But myself, I am coming back around. And it appears that the mission, is to create a very good vehicle and the passion is there to see.

That new Defender IMO, is a durable novelty Range Rover, that suits some buyers perfectly and good for them. The Grenadier seems to be ticking a lot of boxes for me. A bigger sized new vehicle, for adventure with the family, and useful for my work, and has a timeless look to it. Something that looks better when it get scuffed!

Mostly, I will appreciate if it's built well, built to last. I'm currently giving my 2011 90 a refresh, but deep down, I know that chassis could easily rust to pieces at some point. The bean counters at JLR really didn't care about the Defender being made to last, The metal and the paint used on the old Defender chassis, is a joke. I get the feeling Ineos do care, and that has my attention, pride in producing a worthy product.

And as others have said, I too am looking forward to aftermarket solutions. I am hoping and thinking, with these options, some of us will have a fantastic truck to follow on from the Defender. I better get working for that purchase!
Post #886231 18th Feb 2021 4:35am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Philip wrote:
It’s not the Defender it needs to compete against (how could it?)

That’s because JLR’s approach to the new Defender has taken it out of the category that the old Defender and the new Grenadier fall in to, which is the main reason supporters of the old Defender are so hacked off with LR. Note I said LR and not the car itself, none of which (bar the odd comment on looks) have ever said is in itself a bad car. But LR’s choice was to make an off-road capable and less-luxurious SUV. The Grenadier remains firmly in the ‘focus on what it can do’ camp and then make it more comfortable. Pricing will be a concern, he detail and quality that has gone into this is clear, but it will still be markedly cheaper than the ND and in terms of its role, I’d suggest better. As for your assertions that it won’t be able to compete against the new Def off road, that’s based on what? Until they’re tested against each other it’s mere speculation and that speculation is based I suspect purely on all the electronics the ND has that the Grenadier won’t. Something the majority of classic Defender owners will like. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #886237 18th Feb 2021 8:58am
Nitroneil

Scotland 
I think the Grenadier will certainly satisfy many, I do have concerns regarding costs. The mechanics going into the prototype vehicles look high quality, my concern is there is a chassis to pay for as well as a body which looks almost as complex as the monocoque chassis the New Defender has. Additional time and associated costs in these. OK it wont have quite as many electronic gismos, but its likely heading well into Defender S territory which is top end pick-up truck area.
I would have thought Ineos should be pushing the versatility side better as opposed to standard station wagon configuration, as I was under the impression that's what it was touted as and not just people carrying. 90S D250 fuji and loving it.
Post #886271 18th Feb 2021 11:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 24 of 106 <123 ... 232425 ... 104105106>