↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 38 of 60 <123 ... 373839 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well we had a fun evening yesterday. I have never used Upols Raptor 2k before, there is a definite knack to it, but it does produce a wonderful texture for hard wearing surfaces. How hard wearing it actually is only time will tell. Yes the texture will capture dust etc, but I am not overly worried about that, the additional grippy nature of the texture will be worth it.

Click image to enlarge

Brilliant week to be painting in the evenings. So warm, dry and almost windless.

I also did the jackal sills as well, because they always get abused by folks treading on them as well as the occasional love tap from the terrain. All that needs doing now is a little chassis rub-down and paint then it can all go back on again. Well once the new bolts etc arrive that is.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #993862 24th May 2023 12:46pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That bumper has come up really nicely, excellent result. Thumbs Up

I could do with doing the same to mine, the Mantec powder coat is starting to fail (although to be fair it has lasted better than most powder coat finishes I have had).
Post #993877 24th May 2023 2:27pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Blackwolf. I am pretty pleased with it too. I do not know why Mantec actually disappeared, but if it had anything to do with the plastic coating they used I am not surprised. In places it was incredibly thin, almost see through it. Rolling Eyes
Post #993884 24th May 2023 3:19pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Those painted parts do look rather splendid.

Another job well done 👍
Post #993909 24th May 2023 7:04pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Thanks Screbble.

Yes I think it will do nicely and when the roll cage requires some attention I suspect I will raptor it as well. Has to be better than the plastic coating anyway.

What I could do with now is polisher to spruce up the paint a little. It never ends... Rolling Eyes
Post #993912 24th May 2023 7:29pm
L110CDL

England 
Great lot of work done and very satisfying getting her on the wheels again Thumbs Up

The weather is great for you to be getting on with all these jobs, it makes them go that much quicker Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #994039 25th May 2023 9:45pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
k ok here she is with bits back in again…

Back in black 🤠

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So, not quite back together but I just wanted to see how the newly painted surrounds looked. The grill is ready to go too but the panel it mounts to needs a bit of paint. Managed to drop dot4 on to it a while back and it striped the paint off 🙈

The steering guard and winch have also gone black, well the winch was anyway.

I think it is going to look good. Different. A nice change.

On a fitting note everything went back together with fresh stainless hardware and the chassis tubes the bolts go through were heavily doused in Lanoguard before the bolts were inserted. Rust now you swine 🤣

Have to say the new Lanogiard chassis fine mist wand is superb. The old one splurged more than sprayed, this one give a nice fine mist

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #994167 26th May 2023 9:56pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Looking very tidy indeed.
Post #994208 27th May 2023 12:49pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Following on from the new Lanoguard chassis wand nozzle I thought I would follow up with a before and after.

The nozzle:

Compared to the old cylindrical nozzle the new 3D printed one provides a much better almost 360 degree fan pattern. I highly recommend that if you are doing this job to warm up the Lanoguard to around 20 degrees and then it flows beautifully through the nozzle. I cannot say how different the experience would be on a winters morning... I think that it was just that the nozzle became snagged on something, but I did lose one of the nozzles inside the chassis. It happened as I was retracting the wand whilst pumping, so I cannot say whether it was pulled out or pushed off by the fluid.

But... it is much much better than the original nozzle of a year or so ago.

The wand:

It is a goo length but I always want it to be twice the length.

The other end:

The new metal screw attachment for connecting the wand to the pump sprayer is excellent. Great fit and the knurled rim helps swap between the wand and the standard nozzle easily.

The fluid (Lanoguard):

Something has changed with this. It still smells like chewing on fleece but unlike the last bottle I bought where the product sprayed with a slight greenie tinge this bottle of product went on thinner (that could be temperature) and a few hours after the application the chassis turned black... Surprised It isn't tinted black, but there must be something different in the chemistry.

I am both shocked and delighted as this was something I really wanted from the product. It is weird though that they don't advertise it. Weird.

This is what the chassis looked like before application

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and then the equivalent on the other side. It is a lovely flat black that appears to "colour" both painted, bare metal and areas with surface rust.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I will do a better before and after later when I do the other side of the chassis so that it is like for like, but I am impressed so far.
Post #994281 28th May 2023 9:38am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Great job keeping the landy in tip-top condition and thanks for sharing.. little highlight of my day reading your blog.

There is something very satisfying about 'wax style' rust application.

It is environmentally friendly, but also it is the repeat application that I like. You are looking after something, cleaning, reapplying, you are renewing the protection. Most of us will remember the bitumen which was a disaster, you thought you were doing your car a favour, but really you just applied a disease.

I like changing the oil for the same reason, just feels good.
Post #994288 28th May 2023 10:15am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
just out of interest, what is the heat sink we can see on the forward portside, under the passenger foot well?
Post #994289 28th May 2023 10:17am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
TexasRover wrote:
Great job keeping the landy in tip-top condition and thanks for sharing.. little highlight of my day reading your blog.

There is something very satisfying about 'wax style' rust application.

It is environmentally friendly, but also it is the repeat application that I like. You are looking after something, cleaning, reapplying, you are renewing the protection. Most of us will remember the bitumen which was a disaster, you thought you were doing your car a favour, but really you just applied a disease.

I like changing the oil for the same reason, just feels good.

You are not wrong it is marvellously satisfying doing this job. I will drop the endoscope into the chassis later and see what has happened in there. Dead curious now.
Post #994292 28th May 2023 10:40am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
TexasRover wrote:
just out of interest, what is the heat sink we can see on the forward portside, under the passenger foot well?

That is the R380 oil cooler Thumbs Up When I rebuilt the R380 I put it on to protect the investment. Blooming marvellous thing that should (IMHO) be fitted to all Defenders that have been modified, used with a trailer or live in climes that are only slightly warmer than here. The difference is between blackened oil at service time and almost clean looking oil. Thumbs Up
Post #994293 28th May 2023 10:43am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I haven' done much to the old girl today, but I did get time to fit the newly painted "nose" and front grill. Although I am a few black fir-trees down typically.

Next is to sort out that A-bar bracket that has melted away.

Anyway, I like the black surrounds and grill on the dark blue Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #994326 28th May 2023 6:25pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Oh no... My bargain hunting has got away with me... Surprised :rofl:

So, the soft A-bar on Miffy is suffering from the age old problem of having rusty mounting brackets. Apart from buying a full fitting kit at about £100 the only other option is a DIY make your own bracket. Without a welder or a vice the my metal-smithing abilities are somewhat limited at present and it is proving tricky to find someone to do it for me locally.

Hey-ho... Plan-B... Always have to have a Plan-B...

Suddenly on FB marketplace a local bloke was selling a LR nudge bar (STC50270) for a very reasonable price and well it is now sitting outside my house :rolleyes: This is going to be a marmite thing I know, bull bars are not to everyones taste, but I happen to like them. In fact if it were not for this exact same bar on my first Defender I might not be here today. No joke... This particular bar was the first attempt at making the bull bars a little more friendly with the addition of two vertical foam pads on the central uprights. I think this was the last iteration of bars that were available before the ban on selling new bull bars. The soft A-bars and wrap around bar came a few years later as an alternative to maintain the beefy looking front end.

Anyway my first thought is that the mounting bracket would be fairly easily modified to create an alternative to the soft A-bar mounting bracket. After all the bumper and chassis bolt positions are the same, all that would need doing is to tack on the two soft A-bar captive nuts... Job done new brakes for the soft A-bar Very Happy

But.........

Oh my... I had forgotten how much I liked a wrap around bar :rolleyes:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The bar itself is in good shape, it is straight and is just suffering from a little plastic coating peel and the foam pads could do with a little attention due to sun damage. The only fitment issue to the Mantec winch bumper appears to be the winches free-spool lever. Otherwise it could just slip into place.

Click image to enlarge

I am now struggling to justify cutting this bar up just for the bracket. Plus, I like the look of the bar... Oh no...

What do you good people think?
Post #997112 22nd Jun 2023 11:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 38 of 60 <123 ... 373839 ... 585960>