↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 37 of 60 <123 ... 363738 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Oh my not having a garage really really makes you appreciate these dry warm evenings :rofl:

So tonights little jobs are relatively simple ones. Finished the A-bar refurb by painting the brackets (not the ones on Miffy that will be another day) and a good dose of Mcguiers plastic refurb cream. Darned thing looks brand new again.

Click image to enlarge

Another use of the McGuire's was on the snow cowl. It is amazing how faded the black plastic had become.
​Original shade

Click image to enlarge

Faded

Click image to enlarge

Post treatment

Click image to enlarge

On to the rear Dirt Defenders. These are a brilliant accessory for a Defender with wider than normal tyres, really reduces the amount of dirt and stones splattering up the rear panels. You can see just how many impacts they have taken over the last few years... Properly ruined the paint :rofl: So, off with the old paint, flatted back then a dash of paint and clear coat. Notmy best work but not bad for outdoors.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The added modification to the Dirt Defender this time is a layer of closed cell foam on the underside to reduce the effect of big stones on the new paint. It may not last long, but I am willing to give it a go.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I had a lovely delivery of YRM parts this afternoon, so this weekend I am on to the mid crossmember, providing the T-wash mordant arrives in time that is. The galv is super bright. Naturally some of the holes are full of material, so this evenings job was to clear them out before painting.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Finally, I could not resist unpacking the new front differential. This is my second replacement front diff in Miffy and compared to the first one it has almost now play in at all. Super slick mesh between the input gear and crown wheel. I remember fitting the previous refurbished diff and it was no way near as nice, with much more play at the crown wheel. At the time I just needed the old girl on active duty again so just slung it in. I am wondering if this was the source of the slight slack in the transmission. Cannot wait to fit this one. Managed to get some tooth mesh impressions just now as well and they look good to me...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #993029 17th May 2023 7:54pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Off to get Phoebe MOT'd in 30 mins so took the opportunity to whip off the wing top chequer plates. They've been on Miffy for longer than I have been married... I wonder where all that dirt originates from?! Spain, Wales, France... Probably mostly Wales.

It does remind me that I need to find myself an orbital polisher :rolleyes:

Click image to enlarge
Post #993087 18th May 2023 8:25am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
If you get really stuck for Mordont solution I think I have some in the shed. A few years old, not sure if it goes off?
I will be at Alwen south for 7am Saturday morning or thereabouts. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #993095 18th May 2023 8:55am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
John you Gent you Thumbs Up Unfortunately Frosts have already dispatched a litre to me Rolling Eyes Much obliged though. What are you up to around the Alwen?
Post #993103 18th May 2023 9:55am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
I am down for the Plains Rally that is taking place. Alwen/Llangower are two areas off the top of my head. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #993104 18th May 2023 9:56am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Good fun Thumbs Up Well I will be working under Miffy this weekend so if you find yourself cruising down the A5 drop in and say hello Thumbs Up
Post #993111 18th May 2023 10:42am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Oh balls... Just taken the winch, steering guard, bumper and a-bar brackets off Miffy and those POS brackets have rotted through Big Cry

Blasted things, made of something a little less durable than bog roll. They were fine last year and twelve months on they have just rotted away.

I know I can buy the entire soft A-bar fitting kit (LR005236) for about £85 or so, but I do not need all the other brackets. There was a thread about a year ago asking the same question but I didn't see an outcome to whether or not the thread started found a stainless steel version. I suspect not, but it would be excellent if someone did. IIRC he did contact YRM and they weren't interested.

So the question is does anyone else know of a source of these brackets or is the kit the only option?!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And finally the naked front end... Be wonderful to see this going back together this weekend

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #993200 18th May 2023 8:35pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
This evenings little job was prepping the galvanised bits and bobs for fitment to Miffy. In particular the mid-crossmember and four spring seats.

All shiny and silver Thumbs Up But useless at taking a coat of paint...

Click image to enlarge

The first step is to de-grease the components with a liberal application of white spirit, then a slathering of mordant solution to tarnish all that useless shiny stuff. I used a product by Granville. You can see the effect as it turns the galvanising black.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As with everything it always takes more than one coat and this was not different. Once all tarnished the components get a proper washing to remove any surplus mordant. After drying, thank goodness for a sunny evening, it is on to paint. The mordant acts as a primer so there is no need to use a separate coat of primer. As these parts are going to fitted in hidden places I decided to try out Upols Raptor Tough Undercoat aerosol this time around. It is after all meant to be TOUGH... Rolling Eyes

It is in fact a super product. It goes on well, one can goes a long way and unlike the 2k Raptor bed lining it goes on really flat. It is almost a matt which suits the use under Miffy as well.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I am happy with how well that worked. Never used a mordant on galv before. All went extremely smoothly. Time will tell how tough the covering is though...
Post #993336 19th May 2023 9:54pm
L110CDL

England 
I've finally caught up with your thread on Miffy, had to go back quite a few pages due to being " offline " for a while Rolling Eyes
Thanks for sharing your wedding story with all the great pics. You have been really busy with Miffy with what she's been throwing at you but your keeping up with it Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #993344 19th May 2023 10:40pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Clay, thanks yes she's getting a good going over and all because of a broken diff Rolling Eyes At least the weather is stunning almost perfect for driveway DIY'ing Mr. Green

Todays efforts are prep for the diff installation.

Click image to enlarge

Two wheels on me wagon Rolling with laughter
Post #993400 20th May 2023 4:49pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
geobloke wrote:
Oh balls... Just taken the winch, steering guard, bumper and a-bar brackets off Miffy and those POS brackets have rotted through Big Cry

Having just taken the winch, spots etc off of my 110 prior to selling it, having a "factory" front end does look good still (eventhough a winch is still smart)
Post #993413 20th May 2023 6:12pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Land Rover got the soft A-bar front end absolutely spot on IMO. It just all worked, fitted and was purposeful. I will find a way to get the A-bar back on with or without the metal bracket.

Perhaps a 3D printed bracket Rolling Eyes probably not Rolling Eyes
Post #993422 20th May 2023 7:23pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ohhhhh long afternoon of descaling, cleaning and painting today.

First job was to take the front axle and radius arms off. They have both had a hard life and could do with some TLC. So off with as much of the rust as possible

Click image to enlarge

I really wish I had a second set of the good axle stands as these collapsible ones are a complete PITA. Better yet a work bench :rofl: But the axle scrubbed up beautifully. It has one or two battle scars in it from the odd rock but apart from that only surface rust. And I found the axle number which I have never seen..

Click image to enlarge

Next step was to clean and de-grease then treat the rust with a converter. In todays sunshine it all dried nice and quick. Then two coats of Upol Raptor Tough Undercoating paint. Thought I would give it a try. Has to be better than Halfords paint.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Have to say the paint goes on beautifully, a lovely finish for a rattle can. Then on to the radius arms...

Click image to enlarge

So, I am now all ready for the rebuild tomorrow. It would be great to get the old girl back on to four wheels by the end of the day.

The downside of today is that my trusty angle grinder (fitted with a wire brush at the moment) completely gave up the ghost. Sputtered and died whilst I was cleaning up the bumper. Did not expect that at all. Mond you it has done a shed load of work. To say I hate plastic coated metal is an understatement but take a look at this. Just a small chip in the coating and water seeps in and begins to eat away at the metal, you can see the tendril-like tracks left on the metal on this bumper.

Click image to enlarge

Plus some the plastic coating on this Mantec bumper was ridiculously this, as in a thin thin coat of paint. Can't believe the grinder died :rofl::crying:
Post #993430 20th May 2023 9:04pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Wheels on my wagon Very Happy Well almost... Still have to bleed the brakes and that is easier done with the wheels still off. But... One axle back on with new differential installed.

Setting up...

Click image to enlarge

In true must get it done today I had forgotten to touch up the springs, shocks and spring retainers. Oops...! Why is it OME shocks just seem to lose their yellow paint these days. My last set kept their paint for 6/7 years and two Defenders... Considering their cost it is mightily disappointing. Oh well, wire brushing, rust converter and a coat of black paint. Not as pretty as the yellow, but should keep them serviceable for another year or two.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once the axle was on stands the refitting of the swivels. These have had the main swivel seal and retaining ring replaced, plus the internal axle oil seal replaced. New bolts all around. The hub had its bearings cleaned, checked and re-greased, plus a new seal for good measure.

Click image to enlarge

A top tip when fitting the rear seal is to use the flange to drift the seal in. The external dust lip of the seal sits snuggly into the flange and will not get damaged. It needs to go to 4mm below the lip of the hub.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

With the entire final drive end of the axle all installed it was on to the diff. The whole reason for all this effort :rofl: A double check and clean of the axle tube and stud threads. A smear of RTV and on with the diff. Goodness they are awkward things to lift into place and why oh why are the nuts still 9/16ths and on such long long studs...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Oooo love me a fresh shiny new flange...

Click image to enlarge

The easiest way I have found to do this solo and DIY got like this: Locate the axle in place, install the springs, seats, retainers and shocks. Then the radius arms. Then the callipers and brake disc shield. Then the panhard rod and steering arms. Then the propshaft. Doesn't sound too difficult, but it is a lot of back and forth and back again when doing it solo. Plenty of intense pain as you kneel down for the fortieth time on to a sharp piece of gravel...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

But after many hours in the glorious sun it is all done and dusted. Well almost...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now on to the bumper since my new grinder has arrived Very Happy
Post #993564 21st May 2023 10:04pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Just a quick evening grind and bump(er) today 😲

Click image to enlarge

The replacement grinder arrived this morning and it made light work of the rust and plastic coating. A quick slathering of Jenolite rust converter and tomorrow I think it will be ready for a coat of black paint.

Ticking off the bits. Love this warm dry weather
Post #993700 22nd May 2023 8:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 37 of 60 <123 ... 363738 ... 585960>