↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 18 of 60 <123 ... 171819 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
geobloke wrote:
It must be Christmas...

So to correct the starter motor interfering with the crank sensor signal I have purchased a Denso alternator, same as the LR original one,

Do you mean a Denso starter motor? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #918797 26th Aug 2021 3:53pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Yes John I do indeed... Bow down Bow down
Post #918801 26th Aug 2021 4:06pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
It is strange how changing one thing can make a situation so much better, even if it is only the act of doing something that makes things feel better Rolling Eyes

This evening I replaced the Britpart starter motor with the new Denso starter motor. It is a quick job, no more than 30 minutes or so. The difference is night and day. Miffy turns over quicker and started with barely the turn of the key. I repeated the starting procedure 15 times trying to simulate or stimulate the noisy crank signal fault, none happened... quite the relief, but I will take her for a proper spin tomorrow. The signs look good though.

As for the difference between the two makes of starter motor... Outwardly they look nearly identical with only the rubber drain pipes being different. The Denso one have significantly longer pipes. Whether that matters or not I do not know.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Turning the motor by hand the Britpart motor feels rougher like there are dry bearings in there. In comparison the Denso has a much smoother feel to its operation.

This difference can be heard when the two motors are run next to each other. The Britpart motor is much much louder... https://youtu.be/wF3Mek4kf_w

If this is an indication of electro-magnetic noise capable of disrupting the crank sensor signal then I would not be surprised.

The signs however are good this evening and the sound of the little starter motor chirp is utterly wonderful Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
Post #918833 26th Aug 2021 8:53pm
L110CDL

England 
Things are sounding much better with the new starter motor for Miffy and there is a big difference of sound in your video Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #918918 27th Aug 2021 10:45pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Honestly it is a relief that she starts so well with the new starter motor…

[url] [/url]

You can also hear the remarkably noisy Bearmach fuel pump in this clip. This is from inside Miffy with the windows up. Plus the rear has a full drawer system and dog crate between the tank and me. Amazing how used to a sound you can become. You can hear the pump over the engine and the sound appears to fluctuate up and down. Like it is struggling perhaps Rolling Eyes

Just waiting for the pump securing ring tool to arrive before I can sort the pump out.
Post #918972 28th Aug 2021 10:01am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
TD5 fuel pump tool
Well I guess this has settled my weekend then… Rolling with laughter

For those who have not seen this tool for removing and fitting the fuel tank ring on TD5s and Pumas here you are and how it fits in to the ring. This is the cheaper version of the tool, c.£20 and is more than adequate for a DIYer.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by geobloke on 28th Aug 2021 2:23pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #918997 28th Aug 2021 1:38pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Starts well with the new starter. I thought that beep noise was my radio..... 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #919002 28th Aug 2021 2:12pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Madman gauge TD5
Quote:
Starts well with the new starter. I thought that beep noise was my radio.....

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Sorry John Rolling with laughter

That is the low oil pressure warning buzzer on the Madman gauge Rolling Eyes Guess what the engine is off… you’ve got low oil pressure… Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

This gauge has saved my engine so many times… Worth every penny Thumbs Up
Post #919003 28th Aug 2021 2:22pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Defender TD5 Fuel Pump Replacement and Fuel Filter Housing
The adventures continue in Miffy world Rolling Eyes

The good news is that the entire emptying of the rear end took just 25 minutes from opening the door to prising up the fuel pump access panel.

From this

Click image to enlarge

To this

Click image to enlarge

All this gear, drawer system and dog crates... Goodness I carry a lot Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter On the bright side this does give me the opportunity to clean those hard to reach areas... Out with the soapy water Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The access hatch is such a good idea for the DIYer, makes life easier and much less of a chance of breaking the plastic connectors. Next job is cleaning the area of the dirt before the extraction operation can happen.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next are those fiddly hose connector clips, secured up and out of the way and on to removing the securing ring. Now at about an hour from beginning the lords of sod throw their first hand in to the mix. Using the very special tool to remove the ring and not only the metal ring turns, but the white connecting ring as well. Busted...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Ok no problem, £10 delivered and a few more days without the ol Girl. Pump out and cover everything up waiting for the silly white connector ring to be delivered. Why oh why aren't these things sold together as a package. The old one is well and truly frail.

Click image to enlarge

So, on to part two of todays jobs. Replace the one way valve and bleed valve in the fuel filter head. I replaced the filter head some about six years ago and yup you guessed it, that's all she wrote. The filter housing has corroded at the mounting bolts and whilst unplugging the hose connectors it fell off Rolling with laughter Rolling Eyes Busted number two...

Click image to enlarge

Order number two of the day a new fuel filter housing from GORE because I do not need any of the connectors and I hope it won't just fall off one day Rolling Eyes

All packed back up and I will try to finish this little job later on this week... Ain't life grand...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #919963 4th Sep 2021 4:43pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
GORE TD5 fuel filter housing
Beautiful… it is really the only word for the GORE TD5 filter housing…

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

If it works as well as it looks and feels then I will be a happy man and Miffy a happy Defender. What gets me is that it isn’t any more expensive than the standard one supplied by Britpart or alike.

item comes with some diagrams as well to understand how the fuel system is plumbed in:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Just the pump adapter ring to arrive and Miffys back on the blacktop and taking no prisoners… 🤣🤣
Post #920611 8th Sep 2021 9:47pm
L110CDL

England 
It is nice that Gore item Very Happy

Liking the " steps usage " when having a good clean up Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #920615 8th Sep 2021 9:52pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ha ha Game on folks… the plastic adapter ring arrived today whilst I was out… Watch out Miffy! You’ll be hitting the open road in no time

Click image to enlarge
Post #920863 10th Sep 2021 2:58pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
She's alive...! Smile But the afternoon wasn't without its fraught moments.

The first step was to fit the new GORE fuel filter housing and to do that involved swapping over the copper intakes and replace the old one-way valve and bleed valve. But... while the bleed valve came with a new intake the other three would have to come from the old filter housing. These were quite (very) soiled with well soil, dirt and anything else that gets thrown up under the wheel arch.

Click image to enlarge

Looking at the filter housing it would have needed replacing very soon anyway as there was some bad corrosion eating away at the junction of the housing and the intakes copper washers. It would have been only a matter of time.

Click image to enlarge

Since a good seal is the aim the intake had to be cleaned and as I do not have a soda blaster or ultra-sonic cleaner I went for plan B: Queue the kitchen chemistry set... To clean any copper all you need is a solution of 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar and some salt (I used 1 cup vinegar, 3 cups boiling water and a tablespoon of salt), mix well, bring to the boil and add the bits to be cleaned. 10 minutes of boiling should do it for most of the dirt. I threw the sealing washers in as well.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The secret is to have a second solution of bi-carb and water with which to neutralise the reaction on the copper. All shiny again...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The copper washers were then annealed with a cooks blow torch ready for fitting. Next is to build up the GORE filter housing, making sure all the valves are in the right places. A new fuel filter and it is ready for fitting on to Miffy, but after a lick of paint for the filter guard. Of course Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Have to say, what I like most about the GORE filter housing are how beautifully made it is, it oozes quality and how un-bling it is.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next job is to install the new VDO fuel pump, adapter ring, seal and locking ring. The adapter ring had perished over the last 18/19 years and shattered. So the new one is a Land Rover original item and it is a tight fit over the tanks threaded lip. The adapter rind located on to two lugs and to fit it use the special tool. It was a tight fit...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Fit the pump seal in to the tank and slide the pump in to place making sure that the lug on the pump slots in to the gap in the adapter ring. Side by side the aftermarket and VDO pumps look identical, except for the lack of VDO on the pump of the aftermarket one.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Push the pump down, fit the locking ring and... pop up comes the pump again... Four times and the locking ring kept popping off. After a few choice words I checked the old locking ring and what do you know, the threads are much more pronounced than on the new one...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The moral of the story is not all parts are made the same... The new ring was a, yup you guessed it, Britpart part... Oh why didn't I just buy a genuine part...

Fitted the old part, which is only two years old and it was tight and positive. Perfect...

Click image to enlarge

Next the fitting of the fuel pipes and what I really appreciate about the VDO pump is that it comes with new securing clips, old ones off, clean the plastic pipe, a little silicone grease, fit the new clips and slot in to the pump. Replace the power cable and...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

... time to purge the fuel system, twice for good luck. Goodness the VDO pump is almost silent, the fuel pump relay clicks louder. No leaks. Starts first click of the starter. Job done and I am a very happy owner again. Time to re-fit the pump hatch:

Click image to enlarge

Life is good again Smile
Post #921056 11th Sep 2021 6:12pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Nice work!!
Post #921060 11th Sep 2021 6:46pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well that’s the test drive done… First impressions are excellent. The engine is delivering smoother power all the way up through the gears. No hesitation at all.
It is weird not hearing the pump whirring away, disconcerting in fact. How did that come to be a comforting noise 🤣

One interesting thing to note, the new VDO pump draws more voltage than the after market one taken out, 1 or 2 volts more at start-up. Interesting…!

Oh and no leaks… Tomorrow we will head off on our first longish trip to Anglesey and back so will give Miffy a good run.

Happy is the life where there is a working Land Rover in it 🤠
Post #921142 12th Sep 2021 11:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 18 of 60 <123 ... 171819 ... 585960>