↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 17 of 60 <123 ... 161718 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Noisy crank signal and high speed crank faults
I have recently started having a very irritating fault where the engine will turn over and fail to start, Sometimes it throws out the MIL lamp and fault codes for High Speed Crank and Noisy Crank Signal, sometimes it doesn't. I can start her first turn of the key in the morning, drive around, pull up turn off and then she fails to start throwing the faults... Irritating to say the least...

So fault diagnosis, this is where I am at

Electrical system

Relays - Under the drivers seat. Open the relay up and check the contacts, they corrode over time. Can stop fuel pump.
Earth points - Chassis and ECU. Clean up, grease and replace.
Sensor connector - Check for corrosion of the terminals
Sensor wiring - Continuity check the sensor wiring. This is known to get brittle and fracture. There are by-pass looms to replace this. Or you can make one yourself with twin core shielded wire, connector and shouldered in to the red ECU plug.
Sensor - Fairly robust units. Replace if unsure, but it is more likely the wiring.
Starter motor - This is known to "interfere" with the signal from the crank sensor at start-up, especially budget motors. Shielding the wiring may help. Wrap sensor wiring with tinfoil to test?!

Fuel system

Injector seals - Check for diesel smell in oil. Maintenance item. Replace.
Fuel regulator - Check for leaks
Fuel filter one way valve and filter - Known to fail and allow fuel to empty from engine.
Fuel filter housing - Known to corrode at the inlet/outlet connections and allow air in to the system.
Fuel pump - Is it working? Is it pumping at the required pressure. Can make all the right noises and not be pumping correctly.

It is completely intermittent. It doesn't happen after an overnight sit, so it is unlikely something to do with the injector seals, regulator or the fuel filter one way valves. If it were then the fault would be consistent with extended periods of dis-use. The exception is that it could be the pump not pumping quite enough... Rolling Eyes

I have previous checked the relays and found that after 20 years the contacts had worn with evidence of arcing and smoke staining in the plastic housing. These have been replaced so are not the source of the problem.

I have been through all the earthing points recently, cleaned them up and greased them. I have also added a direct earth from the ECU to the negative terminal of the battery.

I have recently changed the starter motor, again after 20 years of use, for a Britpart item and there is a possibility that given its proximity to the crank sensor wiring it is interfering with the relatively weak signal of the crank sensor. I plan to shield the sensor wire with a homemade faraday cage as an experiment to see whether that helps. Could do... Rolling Eyes

The sensor itself is a OEM LR item that I have no reason to suspect is faulty. I have not found anywhere of a test for these. Anyone?!

The sensor wiring itself is my next step. It is possible that after 20 years the thin wires have perished or even broken inside their sheaths. Sometimes working sometimes sort of working and throwing out the fault codes. It is possible to make a complete by-pass loom going from the sensor all the way back to the red ECU plug, so I have bought the components and I will make up the loom shortly. At the same time I will test the original loom for breaks etc.

The bypass parallel loom consists of two core screened cable (approx. 1m), cable sheathing, heat shrink, Econoseal sensor connector and pins, plus pins for the red ECU plug. cost = £15

Should be a nice evening project... Rolling with laughter
Post #917679 19th Aug 2021 10:26am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re-bushing update...

It is funny but having just got back from a quick drive out to the woodlands for a dog walk and I realised that the marginally concerning clonk I had thought was a transmission clonk seems to have been in fact worn bushes. No clonks no rattles and Miffy feels like she's as light as a feather in the corners Thumbs Up

Now all that is irritating is the squeaky sometimes unoccupied passenger seat... Rolling Eyes Laughing

I did find a little carpark ramp to test the bushes out and I am very happy with how they flex and take the punishment of pot holed forest tracks. Very impressed actually. Big difference...

Some almost pointless Miffy flexing images... Rolling Eyes The 285/75/16 tyres only just fit in the standard Defender rear wheel arch, millimetres to spare. This is pretty much full articulation that the +2" Old man Emu shocks would allow. I really miss the Gwyn Lewis +5" suspension I used to have on her. Immense suspension that... Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #917785 19th Aug 2021 4:49pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
TD5 crank sensor bypass loom
Here you go, 30 minutes of effort and the bypass loom is ready to be installed.

I wonder if it will cure the intermittent starting faults Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

We will know soon…

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #917849 19th Aug 2021 8:40pm
L110CDL

England 
geobloke wrote:
Quote:
Great work that your doing on Miffy and really good news with the head coming off and then putting the new one on and Miffy going well Thumbs Up

Did you go for the standard head or the performance head for Miffy ?

HA I didn't even know there was a performance TD5 head Rolling Eyes So it's a standard but upgraded AMC head and it is settling in nicely, hasn't sprung any leaks so far, she pulls well, doesn't smoke as much as she did do at start up and the top end is definitely less noisy than it was. Happy so far.

The next step is to tackle some of the bodywork, specifically the doors which having suffered massively living next to the coast for six years or so. That salt spray is a killer for Land Rovers by the coast...

My fault, there is no Td5 performance head, i looked and i think i got mixed up with all the different heads you can get for the 300 Tdi / 2.8 Tdi engines Rolling Eyes

Good luck with fitting the new loom on Miffy and hopefully it will cure your problem Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #917856 19th Aug 2021 8:48pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
My fault, there is no Td5 performance head, i looked and i think i got mixed up with all the different heads you can get for the 300 Tdi / 2.8 Tdi engines Rolling Eyes

Good luck with fitting the new loom on Miffy and hopefully it will cure your problem Thumbs Up

Ahh yes. You got me thinking I had missed out on MAJOR POOOOOWWWWEEEERRRRRr Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Fingers crossed for the loom. Rolling Eyes
Post #917914 20th Aug 2021 9:18am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: Noisy crank signal and high speed crank faults
geobloke wrote:

So fault diagnosis, this is where I am at

Electrical system

Relays - Under the drivers seat. Open the relay up and check the contacts, they corrode over time. Can stop fuel pump.
Earth points - Chassis and ECU. Clean up, grease and replace.
Sensor connector - Check for corrosion of the terminals
Sensor wiring - Continuity check the sensor wiring. This is known to get brittle and fracture. There are by-pass looms to replace this. Or you can make one yourself with twin core shielded wire, connector and shouldered in to the red ECU plug.
Sensor - Fairly robust units. Replace if unsure, but it is more likely the wiring.
Starter motor - This is known to "interfere" with the signal from the crank sensor at start-up, especially budget motors. Shielding the wiring may help. Wrap sensor wiring with tinfoil to test?!

Fuel system

Injector seals - Check for diesel smell in oil. Maintenance item. Replace.
Fuel regulator - Check for leaks
Fuel filter one way valve and filter - Known to fail and allow fuel to empty from engine.
Fuel filter housing - Known to corrode at the inlet/outlet connections and allow air in to the system.
Fuel pump - Is it working? Is it pumping at the required pressure. Can make all the right noises and not be pumping correctly.

So this reared its ugly head again today. Miffy just would not fire up. Kept faulting with a 19,6 noisy crank signal. She'd turn over and over but just would not fire up Rolling Eyes We were getting some interesting looks from folks in Denbigh Morrisons I can tell you... Rolling Eyes

I guess today is the day to fit the crank sensor bypass loom and see if that helps. Failing that it mightt be interference from the newly replaced Britpart starter motor or possibly the noisy fuel pump... Keep ticking off the diagnosis check points.
Post #918546 24th Aug 2021 3:12pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
A few years back my 110 would not start if the starter was warm. Over night or end of the work day, it would start OK.
But would go with a bump/tow start. In the end, took the starter off and repaired it, OK for a bit but went again.
Got the starter checked and there was some issue with the contacts and wasn't worth fixing. New started required and touch wood, so far so good.

I didn't have a nanocom at the time and as such unable to check for errors. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #918551 24th Aug 2021 3:32pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
So I have thoroughly tested the standard loom from the ECU to the crank sensor and nothing, it is in perfect working order. I could not get it to break continuity and the resistance through each wire is good too. I also ran the bypass loom to double check and the ol girl is still failing to fire up. I am beginning to think that the Britpart starter motor may be so darned noisy (electrically speaking, actually it is a screecher too) as to be interfering with the weaker sensor signal. Possibly... I am not sure how to test for that though...

Anyone?

The other thing that happened yesterday was that the Bearmach fuel pump became suspiciously quiet, having always been a noisy pump from the day I fitted it two years ago. From day one you could hear the pump over the noise of the engine and exhaust whilst inside with the doors close and windows up. Perhaps, this is also on the way out... Eeeshk... I just want it to be trustworthy once more, I think Miffy would appreciate that too being the stalwart gal that she is...

I will sort this out one way or another... Smile
Post #918671 25th Aug 2021 1:45pm
excossack

Worth removing the starter and checking for issues/corrosion etc. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #918675 25th Aug 2021 2:14pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Absolutely John Thumbs Up Have to say I took the risk on the Britpart starter motor because how different could t be to the original... Quite it the answer to that. Outwardly it looked similar but as if you are looking at it through someone else's prescription glasses. Nearly, but not quite the same... Rolling Eyes
Post #918677 25th Aug 2021 2:45pm
excossack

Time to fork out for a new one of non Britpart quality.
Is it less than 2 years old, warranty claim ?

PS No bunting at the weekend, I looked both on the way into Bala and out from Bala… Sad 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #918689 25th Aug 2021 3:53pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ah you know what the council told us to pull it down and pack it all up, apparently the dancing girls lining the road were a bit of a distraction Rolling Eyes

There is only a 1 year warranty on Britpart items, so yes, guess what I just bought???? Denso this time, not going to faff about again. Once singed twice shy... Thumbs Up Same goes for the fuel pump Shocked
Post #918691 25th Aug 2021 4:00pm
excossack

That's a shame...Sad

24month on their website
https://www.britpart.com/about-us/24-month-guarantee

I went Denso for alternator, packed in after 18months, Used the 2 year warranty, got a refund and then bought another from another supplier for less than the other one and still 2 years Smile 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #918692 25th Aug 2021 4:08pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
It must be Christmas...

...or possibly a Thursday in the life of a Land Rover owner...! Rolling with laughter

So I have bitten the bullet and bought some parts to chase down this ridiculous non-firing issue I am having with Miffy. I believe more and more that it is down to the choice of buying budget parts. I guess I will find out whether that holds water or not this week Rolling Eyes

So to correct the starter motor interfering with the crank sensor signal I have purchased a Denso alternator, same as the LR original one, identical in fact. I will stick a comparison photo of the Britpart one later.

The to correct the cheap as chips possible fuel pump issue there is a new VDO pump to replace it. Along with a new fuel filter that will hopefully accept the water sensor, the current one has a small thread at the bottom for some reason...!?!?! Plus a new set of one way and bleed valves for the filter housing. It's a bit belts and braces, but the ones in there are now very old.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #918789 26th Aug 2021 3:16pm
donmacn

Well.... something in there should do it!

Sometimes I'm quite glad I drive a simple old 300Tdi. Wink

I do sympathise though - tracking down things like this can be a pain, and as you've said above it can get to a point where you lose heart slightly.

No doubt confidence in Miffy will be restored shortly. Thumbs Up Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #918795 26th Aug 2021 3:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 17 of 60 <123 ... 161718 ... 585960>