↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Roof Spot lights and A bar spots
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Print this entire topic · 
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
kingofthesparks wrote:
thats why i want a traditional one, has anyone run cables above headlining and how easy was it

Yes, I've fitted loads over the years. If you want it switched from the front you are supposed to use an illuminated switch.

Remove the trim and run the cable up the windscreen pillar, remove the fir tree fasteners along one side of the front headlining and run the cable along the hardtop gutter and continue in a similar way until you get to the rear. Presuming you are fitting the lamp in the roof panel above and to the side of the rear door - remove the fir tree fasteners and grab handles and remove the back trim panel above the rear door. Drill holes, fit lamp, connect up, earth, refit trim and Bob's your uncle.

I've just fitted one (RTC8921AA) to my USW but have taped into the existing supply behind the rear, right speaker housing, ran the cables behind trim up and over the rear door to a switch which I have fitted in the L/H trim panel which is easily accessible from the rear door. The lamp itself is fitted top right of the L/H rear hardtop panel (not the roof as I didn't want the lamp above the roof-line.

Recent thread on worklamps here = http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5022.html Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #55400 27th Jan 2011 9:13pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
alantd wrote:
@leeds: got any good LED worklights you could recommend? I want to get one but I assume there are good 'uns and bad 'uns

Alan one of the biggest problems with the majority of lights on the market is the way they advertise/sell them. What the hell has the power consumed by the light (watts) have anything to do with the light output (lumens) or light intensity (lux)

Some of the few out of a myriad of lights that give the light output are Light Force and Vision X.

LED lights go from sub £50 to several thousand £. There are many lookalikes as well

The LED worklights on the back of our black 110

Click image to enlarge

Rated at 1 watt, don't ask me what light output is as I can not/do not know a figure. We have two on and they are great for camping/reversing by and have minimal current draw.

A friend of mine has one of these Vision X 10 watt light as a reverse light

This light has 900 lumen light output. More details HERE

The GENUINE Vision X light is about £85-90. There is a Chinese knock off which is about £75-80. Durite are doing an extremely similar one for about £99. Prices and quality on ebay go all over the place

ALan if you get to any of the shows you are welcome to have a good look at the lights on our trucks.

HTH

Brendan

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #55432 27th Jan 2011 11:44pm
18stone

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Anyone heard of this problem when wiring roof spots?

My auto sparks/LR inde has done thousands over the years (most on all LR models) but on my new Puma there's a dash light that comes on (a light bulb 'icon') when the lights are operated. They all work but there seems to be some feed back onto the dash through the new loom suggesting a problem. He's proposing to fit a diode in-line today to prevent the 'feedback'.

Any thoughts chaps? D300 HSE 110
Post #65466 29th Mar 2011 9:48am
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
I have the round type of light Leeds (Brendan) has on the rear of his 110.
Excellent little light, I got mine off ebay for about £40 i think.
Post #65475 29th Mar 2011 10:52am
ken

United Kingdom 
18stone wrote:
Anyone heard of this problem when wiring roof spots?

My auto sparks/LR inde has done thousands over the years (most on all LR models) but on my new Puma there's a dash light that comes on (a light bulb 'icon') when the lights are operated. They all work but there seems to be some feed back onto the dash through the new loom suggesting a problem. He's proposing to fit a diode in-line today to prevent the 'feedback'.

Any thoughts chaps?

Fitting a blocking diode is quite common Thumbs Up
Post #65480 29th Mar 2011 11:47am
18stone

Thanks Ken. Very reassuring. My man was a bit flumoxed that it had happened but sounded confident in his proposed solution. Thumbs Up D300 HSE 110
Post #65491 29th Mar 2011 1:47pm
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
18st, who are you using out of interest?
Post #65556 29th Mar 2011 11:19pm
18stone

SEB, Jon Norman at Brunel Performance in Tollesbury (Essex marshes). D300 HSE 110
Post #65607 30th Mar 2011 12:40pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
leeds wrote:
alantd wrote:
@leeds: got any good LED worklights you could recommend? I want to get one but I assume there are good 'uns and bad 'uns

Alan one of the biggest problems with the majority of lights on the market is the way they advertise/sell them. What the hell has the power consumed by the light (watts) have anything to do with the light output (lumens) or light intensity (lux)

Some of the few out of a myriad of lights that give the light output are Light Force and Vision X.

LED lights go from sub £50 to several thousand £. There are many lookalikes as well

Rated at 1 watt, don't ask me what light output is as I can not/do not know a figure. We have two on and they are great for camping/reversing by and have minimal current draw.

This light has 900 lumen light output.

The GENUINE Vision X light is about £85-90. There is a Chinese knock off which is about £75-80. Durite are doing an extremely similar one for about £99. Prices and quality on ebay go all over the place

ALan if you get to any of the shows you are welcome to have a good look at the lights on our trucks.

HTH

Brendan

Hmm. There are problems in advertising any light in lumens. The issue is that the area to be lit can vary hugely. It's actually lux and flux which are the important measurements of a lights intensity as opposed to lumens. Watts or joules are a very useful measure since if you know the power output that can be a reasonable indication of what kind of lux you're going to get. The only reason that light power is now advertised in lumens is due to yet another stupid EU law which about emissions which tries to get away from wattage as a measurement.

The important figure is the radiant flux given by a light as opposed to the luminous flux from which is derived "lumens". Luminous flux is basically just how the eye sees light, it's not actually an accurate measure of the light fall itself. That's not to say that a 1 watt LED won't be bright, it may well be, but its the radiant flux which is important or how far that light falls and with what kind of intensity. eg a worklight on the back of a vehicle does not need a huge lumen output. what it needs is a decent radiant flux. However, I've found that putting the transfer box in neutral and the main gear in reverse gives a decent enough light to work with assuming the engine/ignition is on. If not then a worklight is obviously more appropriate but realistically there is little point in getting carried away with buying lights which throw out many lumens. Your mates 900 lumen light for example - a worklight can get away with being 20 lumens only and still be highly effective. A 60 lumen LED light (like those found on the better spec petzl headtorches) will give significant light and decent radiant flux. In fact my petzl will reach over 100 metres in total darkness with no problem at all, and it's radiant flux is significant.

A further issue is that the marketing people in various light manufacturers have really seized on the term "lumens" and in the same way as retail camera manufacturers promoting more megapixels = good, less megapixels = bad, the light firms are doing the same. It's highly misleading the consumer unfortunately.

confused? Laughing
Post #65616 30th Mar 2011 1:26pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
BigMike wrote:
leeds wrote:
alantd wrote:

This light has 900 lumen light output.

HTH

Brendan

Hmm. There are problems in advertising any light in lumens. The issue is that the area to be lit can vary hugely. It's actually lux and flux which are the important measurements of a lights intensity as opposed to lumens. Watts or joules are a very useful measure since if you know the power output that can be a reasonable indication of what kind of lux you're going to get. The only reason that light power is now advertised in lumens is due to yet another stupid EU law which about emissions which tries to get away from wattage as a measurement.

The important figure is the radiant flux given by a light as opposed to the luminous flux from which is derived "lumens". Luminous flux is basically just how the eye sees light, it's not actually an accurate measure of the light fall itself. That's not to say that a 1 watt LED won't be bright, it may well be, but its the radiant flux which is important or how far that light falls and with what kind of intensity. eg a worklight on the back of a vehicle does not need a huge lumen output. what it needs is a decent radiant flux. However, I've found that putting the transfer box in neutral and the main gear in reverse gives a decent enough light to work with assuming the engine/ignition is on. If not then a worklight is obviously more appropriate but realistically there is little point in getting carried away with buying lights which throw out many lumens. Your mates 900 lumen light for example - a worklight can get away with being 20 lumens only and still be highly effective. A 60 lumen LED light (like those found on the better spec petzl headtorches) will give significant light and decent radiant flux. In fact my petzl will reach over 100 metres in total darkness with no problem at all, and it's radiant flux is significant.

A further issue is that the marketing people in various light manufacturers have really seized on the term "lumens" and in the same way as retail camera manufacturers promoting more megapixels = good, less megapixels = bad, the light firms are doing the same. It's highly misleading the consumer unfortunately.

confused? Laughing

fantastic Thumbs Up Mike
Post #65650 30th Mar 2011 5:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567