↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > The Shooting Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 33 of 41 <123 ... 323334 ... 394041>
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Co1 wrote:
Good progress shaggy dog. I fear you may struggle to find a syndicate this year. We haven’t bought any birds due to c19 and there a few other local shoots in the same position. We might get 3 or 4 selective wild days in but the season will be a short one for us. Hopefully will be able to find enough work to keep the dog busy though!

I fear that may be the case! Especially as an outsider, i only have one friend who shoots but he is relocating to Bermuda this year so sadly wont be around much more to go with Neutral I have heard of a few syndicates being dissolved or abandoned around the country at the moment. Truly terrible times!

Huttopia - He is getting better at not running in but when he does he will bring the dummy back. I still give him lots of praise for bringing it back, whatever he has done out there he will always praise for returning and lots of praise for bringing back the dummy. i don't want to discourage returning.

I can remember my trainer saying call them whatever you want when they are running around misbehaving but whenever they come back they are your best mate, praise and move on. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #825295 14th Apr 2020 7:29pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
do you always train in same area? try and find alternatives to maintain the enthusiasum (for both!)

our syndicate is going ahead this season. as i pointed out if we cant shoot come Oct then i will have bigger problems to worry about than some money lost on rearing poults. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #825341 14th Apr 2020 9:10pm
Danny Fireblade

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
I have never trained a gun dog but when I trained my boxer I used cheap peperrami that I sliced into 1mm thick slices.

It will stink more than ham and certainly helped in the training of our sadly departed mutt.
Post #825362 14th Apr 2020 9:46pm
jst

got to be honest the only rewards i do are cuddles and gratitude. i dont do the food reward, i would only forget it one day when out picking up. mind you i do have the two easiest dogs to train, them being labs. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #825364 14th Apr 2020 9:53pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Our syndicate is going ahead as usual, birds ordered, etc. We have secured our access to tend the birds (it's on MoD land) so providing we are actually permitted to gather, should be fine and are planning to continue as normal. We tend to start the season quite quietly too, so hopefully any delays will be made up for later. Our problem is more that we share our ground with a number of other camo-clad ladies and gents that have priority over us for their training exercises so I can see some weekdays forming part of our allocation. Either way i'll be out there every day with the dog, as long as we're still allowed to exercise .... fingers crossed.

Click image to enlarge
Post #825369 14th Apr 2020 10:03pm
jst

what could be better a bit of plinking and the dogs for company. photo at a rest period so not shooting with the dog as she is!

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #826423 19th Apr 2020 6:09pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Here is the pack, on our way to the fields for a training session on the dummies. The little one sat and watched whilst the older ones did a bit, and at the end I let the little one go out for a puppy dummy, which she brought back all pleased with herself! She still has a lot of growing to do...

Click image to enlarge
Post #826466 19th Apr 2020 9:00pm
walfy

Now my local ground has opened up again, I've managed 2 shoots this week. Both 100 shots, went as a group of 3 but didn't follow the norm and we shot what we fancied and didn't wait for some stands as it was hot. But of the 100 I hit about 60 I reckon. Some nice new stands have been built during lockdown.
Then again this morning with the Mrs, so was a lot less structured and more for her fun and enjoyment.
Anyway, it me to thinking, I need to replace my shooting glasses, I'm still using the nice balistic glasses isseud to troops in Afghan, so not the prettiest but they were cheap, read free. So I didn't need to invest in glasses incase I didn't like shooting.
But as it turns out I love it, not very good but love it none the less.
So without paying Pilla prices or ebay knock offs what is a good set of glasses with multiple lenses going to cost me? I suppose my budget would be £50-£100 for a decent branded set.
Am I in the right ballpark for costs or am I spending to much or not enough?

Also to save me more embarrassment, of fumbling in pockets for cartridges, what is a decent vest going to cost me? Again, I don't mind spending if there is a proper need to. Would rather spend my money on clays and cartridges.

Lastly, sorry for all the questions, my local ground I use only allows the use of their cartridges, something to do with planning regs, not sure exactly. But if I go to other local shoots, I'll need to provide my own. So what is an acceptable amount of cartridges to have at home? 500? 1000? 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #839922 26th Jun 2020 6:47pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I don’t think there’s any limit to how many shotgun cartridges you can hold (unlike firearm ammunition).

As for shooting glasses, Wiley X get good reviews but there’s plenty of others that’ll do the job perfectly well (Beretta’s selection for example).

Skeet vests are similarly much of a muchness. I bought one by Browning as my first (the Masters one) and it was great. I’ve got one by Shooterking now and it’s even better - a mesh vest for summer practicing on the clays!
Post #840035 27th Jun 2020 2:06pm
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
If you want to be pedantic about how many cartridges you can store in one place- it is approx 12,000 before you need an explosives licence which you get from Trading Standards. Much depends on how much powder there is in each cartridge & then the cumulative amount.
Then if you are into Black powder which is way more fun if you want to make big bangs & is considerably more dangerous than nitro powder.....storage of this is even more tightly regulated.

Shooting glasses; Like Doc says I wear mainly Wiley-X as my main knock around glasses when I am teaching but on other days I wear a proper set of Hi-Def specs with interchangeable lenses.The only downside is the cost of each set of lenses which are about £125+.
Until you actually wear a pair you have no idea how good they are especially if you are shooting against a difficult background and an edge on fast moving target.The definition is absolutely outstanding.
Skeet vests - there are numerous ones out there. Pilla have just introduced a Skeet Vest at £230 !
Holland & Holland Shooting vest £690 upwards !!
A mesh vest in the summer is indispensable and way more comfy.
Whatever you choose you need to make sure that when you raise your arms that the pockets(and cartridges) do NOT lift up with you.
Personally I would spend as much as you can afford to do so in order to get the best kit.Any left over funds are best spent on proper tuition.
Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #840053 27th Jun 2020 4:12pm
jst

Mark, 3000 carts i believe is a limit with nfu car insurance,. Other than that 12k is the only other limit i am aware of. I tend to buy just before season for the season, clays wise i just buy 3k at a time.

Glasses , i wouldnt get too hung up on it, you need to try lots and go with what works for you. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #840099 27th Jun 2020 7:45pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Just booked a session here...

Click image to enlarge

Chobham Ridge MoD steel plate range, closest target is 306 yards, furthest 1020 yards. Targets all the same size, 15"x25"

Been thinking about it for a while & a friend suggested it so an easy decision to make!
Post #840183 28th Jun 2020 10:44am
jst

looks fun. i consider myself quite lucky with out to 300m at home range wise. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #840196 28th Jun 2020 11:49am
Thon

United Kingdom 
I would suggest if you like the look of Chobham Ridge you might also like WMS Firearms - www.wmsfirearmstraining.com

I've had 2 brilliant days there with Andrew Venables - it's a first class operation, stunning scenery and cake afterwards Thumbs Up
Post #840329 28th Jun 2020 9:51pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
This was the last place I shot plates - it was just a tad warmer than Wales & a lot drier, not to mention flatter!!

Click image to enlarge

Have thought about going up to WMS but it's a bit far - I can be at Chobham Ridge in an hour and when we're done we can head to 'the Artists' or the White Hart at Pirbright for tea & medals 👍
Post #840343 28th Jun 2020 10:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 33 of 41 <123 ... 323334 ... 394041>