↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > The Shooting Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 41 of 41 <123 ... 394041
Print this entire topic · 
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
Hi
I am an RFD and own a Shooting Ground ( also own a Caterham Very Happy )

On my grounds we offer clay shooting, BP clay shooting ,mini rifle, LBR ,LBP,Speed Steels and Practical shooting and Air rifle. We have two Home Office approved Clubs based here and we are accepting new members.
My Range is 100m but also split into 11 practical bays.

Best thing to do is have a think about what you would really like to do and then come and have a look.
Reading between the lines l think you would probably like the Mini Rifle/Practical shooting.
Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #981839 9th Feb 2023 8:32am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Just be wary once you get into shooting you end up justifying all sorts of things.

My other half's boss saw her eating some venison steaks for lunch and asked which butcher she got them from. She said Ed (me) as we shoot our own.

Of course in order to do that I not only have my Defender but also a 4.4TDV8 Range Rover and Dad also bought an Argocat a few years back to make retrieval more efficient, then there's the 1400 mile round trip to get them. But it is much nicer meat when you get to select the beastie and butcher it yourself.

You can have a good family outing too. First time the little one had been up when I was stalking and when she saw a deer on a joy ride in the Argo she immediately said "shoot it!". She even helped with the butchering and packing up of the meat afterwards.

Click image to enlarge

And the first beastie with the 300 Win Mag, it certainly packs a punch.

Click image to enlarge

An expensive hobby to say the least, at least I'm not doing the amount of competitive shooting I used to. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #981840 9th Feb 2023 8:46am
AJC

United Kingdom 
Ha da good season myself, only done 3 days shooting but have spent most weekends beating/picking up on a local shoot with my kids and sometimes the wife would come along too.
Post #981845 9th Feb 2023 9:08am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Caterham wrote:
/\ many thanks for the comments.

I appreciate there are hoops to jump and I fully appreciate your comments (and while I agree with them it doesn't stop me from having my own 'wants' Smile )

so can anyone give a bit of guidance on the least painful course of action?

Find out where Guy (next post to yours) has his ranges as it looks like he could show you a number of disciplines. Ask if you may attend and go and have a look.

I enjoy the practical disciplines and they are definitely on the up. How much you spend is up to you.

Don't be scared to travel to a good club as some are welcoming whilst others can be set in their ways and have a tight nit group.
Post #981857 9th Feb 2023 11:07am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Chopperone wrote:
Hi
I am an RFD and own a Shooting Ground ( also own a Caterham Very Happy )

On my grounds we offer clay shooting, BP clay shooting ,mini rifle, LBR ,LBP,Speed Steels and Practical shooting and Air rifle. We have two Home Office approved Clubs based here and we are accepting new members.
My Range is 100m but also split into 11 practical bays.

Best thing to do is have a think about what you would really like to do and then come and have a look.
Reading between the lines l think you would probably like the Mini Rifle/Practical shooting.
Guy

I think I need to drop you PM later Thumbs Up
a caterham and 100m range......what more could I possible wish for......oh and you're 'local' Mr. Green Thumbs Up
Post #981963 10th Feb 2023 11:22am
Jeebs

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Barolo Black
Bit of an odd one, went out for a shoot this morning and had a strange issue with the bottom barrel on my shotgun.

The ejector seems to be ripping the brass off the cartridge cases. I was using fiocchi lite speed.

Click image to enlarge

Top barrel is absolutely fine and chucks them miles. I was out on Friday and put 100 gamebore cartridges and they were fine.

Any ideas?
Post #1003194 6th Aug 2023 4:42pm
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Looks like there is an indentation at the base , maybe a faulty batch of cartridges. I would make a note of the batch number on the box and speak to supplier or distributor.
Post #1003197 6th Aug 2023 5:29pm
Jeebs

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Barolo Black
Out of 50 I had 1 eject correctly from the bottom barrel, I had to get a cleaning rod and push them out otherwise.

I was the only one having the issue today, so unless I was the unlucky one to get the duff box, I’m doubtful it’s the cartridges. If it had been I’d have thought the top barrel would do the same.

It’s a relatively new gun, the action is still very stiff, part of me wonders if the ejector springs are a bit too stout for low brass?
Post #1003199 6th Aug 2023 5:39pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
An old thread resurrected, but I hoped it might give one or two of you a good laugh:

While my wife and I are waiting for our gun licences to be finally issued by the Police (a long-winded process obviously, written test, evidence of regular attendance at a shooting range, gun-safe installation etc.), we go to a club where we use two of their guns for the session. First come, first served, I get a different pistol every week, the missus is more comfortable with a revolver and the President lends her his personal Colt Python .357. I find it quite interesting to shoot different firearms, last month we were checking out the differences between an AK-47 and an AK-74. Some I like - or LOVE, I’m saving my pocket-money for a Laugo Alien, some I don’t - despite the hype I don’t like Glocks.

Yesterday my Hobson’s Choice was a Tanfoglio, I’d fired it before and wasn’t too happy, but they are well-respected match pistols so I thought I’d persevere. After a few fliers, I settled in and actually got more in the black than out of it, a first time for me and I was feeling cocky.

The missus was getting a bit tired (a Python with six-inch barrel is HEAVY), so I took over her gun. My first shot had hardly any recoil and not much heard through the ear-protectors, I didn’t think anything of it other than it was a lot easier than the pistol I’d just been using. Cocked it for single action and fired again, still nothing. One of the club officials came over and snatched it away snarling the French equivalent of: “Well, that’s f……d”. I thought that was a bit of an exaggeration, but although 9mm cartridges are as cheap as chips, the club evidently reloads its own .38s and .357s and the first cartridge was a squib, i.e. for those who don't know, the primer had ignited with enough force to push the bullet along the barrel but the main charge hadn’t ignited to propel it out on its merry way. Luckily the second one was a squib round too, otherwise I might not still have my hand(s)!

But the barrel has split open, and the gun is probably a write-off. The missus is still “Annie Oakley”, but I’m no longer “James Bond” but the guy who destroyed the President’s pride and joy…

Dare I go back next Sunday?

Peter
Post #1017390 4th Dec 2023 2:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 41 of 41 <123 ... 394041