Post Reply  Down to end
Page 34 of 41 <123 ... 333435 ... 394041>
Print this entire topic · 
Ranger 6

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Rimini Red
VVS210 wrote:
Just booked a session here...

Click image to enlarge

Chobham Ridge MoD steel plate range, closest target is 306 yards, furthest 1020 yards. Targets all the same size, 15"x25"

Been thinking about it for a while & a friend suggested it so an easy decision to make!

So you're one of the noisy ones then, disturbing our Sundays........ Laughing

Any suggestions for Clay clubs(except Bisley) in the area? 90 V8 CSW - 1988
Post #840412 29th Jun 2020 10:43am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
VVS210 wrote:
Just booked a session here...

Click image to enlarge

Chobham Ridge MoD steel plate range, closest target is 306 yards, furthest 1020 yards. Targets all the same size, 15"x25"

Been thinking about it for a while & a friend suggested it so an easy decision to make!

Are you doing a snipers course? Shocked
Post #840451 29th Jun 2020 1:32pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Ranger 6 wrote:

So you're one of the noisy ones then, disturbing our Sundays........ Laughing

Any suggestions for Clay clubs(except Bisley) in the area?

Don't shoot clays much these days so not really the best person to ask, I know you said not Bisley, but I do enjoy the odd session at Long Siberia pay'n'play. Friends tell me Hownhall is good (Midhurst). There is a local club to me that is family run & shoots twice a month just north of Winchester & a pretty easy run down the M3/A33 from your neck of the woods - not sure what their fixtures are like at the moment but they're called Wallers Ash Gun Club.

As for disturbing your Sunday, no sympathy I'm afraid as the ranges have been there considerably longer than any resident has lived in the area... Whistle
Post #840575 29th Jun 2020 11:24pm
walfy

Chopperone wrote:
If you want to be pedantic about how many cartridges you can store in one place- it is approx 12,000 before you need an explosives licence which you get from Trading Standards. Much depends on how much powder there is in each cartridge & then the cumulative amount.
Then if you are into Black powder which is way more fun if you want to make big bangs & is considerably more dangerous than nitro powder.....storage of this is even more tightly regulated.

Shooting glasses; Like Doc says I wear mainly Wiley-X as my main knock around glasses when I am teaching but on other days I wear a proper set of Hi-Def specs with interchangeable lenses.The only downside is the cost of each set of lenses which are about £125+.
Until you actually wear a pair you have no idea how good they are especially if you are shooting against a difficult background and an edge on fast moving target.The definition is absolutely outstanding.
Skeet vests - there are numerous ones out there. Pilla have just introduced a Skeet Vest at £230 !
Holland & Holland Shooting vest £690 upwards !!
A mesh vest in the summer is indispensable and way more comfy.
Whatever you choose you need to make sure that when you raise your arms that the pockets(and cartridges) do NOT lift up with you.
Personally I would spend as much as you can afford to do so in order to get the best kit.Any left over funds are best spent on proper tuition.
Guy

Guy

Many thanks for the advice, I was aware there would be an NEQ for the carts but was after what people normaly store. I don't think I'll ever have the funds to buy 12000 in one hit, plus it would take me years to fire that many off.
The issue is that the local club only allows their cartridges to be shot. Something to do with noise levels and planning rules or some such. It doesn't bother me that much as it's all I know. But I need to hold some stock for other shoots in the area. But to be fair, I like the club, and it's relaxed atmosphere. Plus if you become a member, you get a discount, and I think it works out to 6 or 7 shoots of 100 clays to make your money back. So not that big an issue.
I have been offered a morning with the black powder guys here but not sure it's my bag. I'd prob only go to sit and watch then sniff the clouds of smoke. Nothing like that smell. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #840629 30th Jun 2020 9:26am
walfy

jst wrote:
Mark, 3000 carts i believe is a limit with nfu car insurance,. Other than that 12k is the only other limit i am aware of. I tend to buy just before season for the season, clays wise i just buy 3k at a time.

Glasses , i wouldnt get too hung up on it, you need to try lots and go with what works for you.

Don't think I'll ever take 3000 carts to a shoot, I'd be there for days plus I have nowhere to store 3000 carts at home.
With the glasses, I've found a pair, well the Mrs has been given a pair from her brother when his sports shop closed. Trouble is, I can't find them anywhere for sale. And she won't let me use them to much incase I ruin them, she seems to hit more when she has them on. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #840630 30th Jun 2020 9:29am
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Any suggestions for Clay clubs(except Bisley) in the area?[/quote]

You could try Headley Clay Pigeon Shooting Club here https://www.headleyclaypigeon.com/ family run shoot and very friendly, they do 100 bird sporting, DTL and Compak every two weeks. Also Surrey Sporting here https://www.surreysportingclub.co.uk/ I have also just joined Pirbright CSC which is member only but a very good shoot.
Post #840639 30th Jun 2020 10:08am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
walfy wrote:
jst wrote:
Mark, 3000 carts i believe is a limit with nfu car insurance,. Other than that 12k is the only other limit i am aware of. I tend to buy just before season for the season, clays wise i just buy 3k at a time.

Glasses , i wouldnt get too hung up on it, you need to try lots and go with what works for you.

Don't think I'll ever take 3000 carts to a shoot, I'd be there for days plus I have nowhere to store 3000 carts at home.
With the glasses, I've found a pair, well the Mrs has been given a pair from her brother when his sports shop closed. Trouble is, I can't find them anywhere for sale. And she won't let me use them to much incase I ruin them, she seems to hit more when she has them on.

i always buy in bulk, works out cheaper Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #840651 30th Jun 2020 11:05am
walfy

I understand that but the amount I shoot, I couldn't justify spending out that much, I reckon in the next 12 months I might shoot 1000-1500 cartridges and the majority will be at my local club and I have to use their carts. So possibly only 2-300 at another location 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #840657 30th Jun 2020 11:12am
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
For a list of virtually all Shooting grounds and ranges have a look at www.shootingclubdirectory.com

They also produce a booklet which is handy to keep in your glove box

Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #840723 30th Jun 2020 4:57pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Been getting my eye in this morning ready for my session out on the sniper range. First shot at 1000 yards was c.2" off dead centre in a fish tailing wind, happy days 😃

Click image to enlarge
Post #843178 11th Jul 2020 7:58pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Nice work! Looking forward to the rut kicking off in a few weeks.

Got some training in this week at work, although not really sure what this coming season will bring.

Post #843180 11th Jul 2020 8:02pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
One of the shoots I pick up on is running this season but it's only a small farm shoot, not sure about the other one yet but it's odds on they'll be shooting. Was speaking to a mate the other day & a big shoot he picks up on has cancelled this season completely as they didn't want to risk investing in birds & feed then not be able to sell days to recoup their costs.
Post #843183 11th Jul 2020 8:13pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I’m part of a small syndicate, but bordered by a couple of big commercial shoots. We’re lucky that whatever we lose over the boundary comes back in the other direction. Our neighbours aren’t putting anything down so neither are we which means maybe only 3 or 4 days max this season. It has hit home that I’m not really bothered about the shooting, I’m really only bothered about the dog work!
Post #843204 11th Jul 2020 10:17pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Ranger 6 wrote:
Any suggestions for Clay clubs(except Bisley) in the area?

Surrey Sporting Club is a decent one.
https://www.surreysportingclub.co.uk/ Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #843207 11th Jul 2020 10:45pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
That's how the little farm shoot that I go to works, they put a few birds down but don't shoot until mid November by which time the big estate that surrounds them has been shooting for 6 weeks & the farm is a sanctuary of peace & quiet. Typically their bag on the first day is 35-45% of what they put down & by the end of the season they're often over 100%.

I love working the dogs too, give me a day with a mate or two walking up the hedgerows or the rough bits of ground with a few old long tails & I'm more than happy Thumbs Up
Post #843208 11th Jul 2020 10:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 34 of 41 <123 ... 333435 ... 394041>