↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > The Shooting Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 32 of 41 <123 ... 313233 ... 394041>
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
What a fantastic collection!

We only have a pair of dummies and an acme whistle at the moment but were still getting the fundamentals in!

Click image to enlarge
 Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #824957 13th Apr 2020 12:56pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
There is a forum which has a wealth of advice. It is different to Facebook in as much as folk actually know what they are talking about and similar to this forum everyone is considerate even when the gundog equivalent of ‘my lights don’t work, is it the switch?’ is asked for the eleventy millionth time 😁

https://www.gundogtrainingforum.co.uk/phpbb/
Post #824964 13th Apr 2020 1:34pm
shaggydog

Many thanks for that i'll give it a look! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #824971 13th Apr 2020 1:47pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Huttopia wrote:
There is a forum which has a wealth of advice. It is different to Facebook in as much as folk actually know what they are talking about and similar to this forum everyone is considerate even when the gundog equivalent of ‘my lights don’t work, is it the switch?’ is asked for the eleventy millionth time 😁

https://www.gundogtrainingforum.co.uk/phpbb/

Cheers for the link. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #825016 13th Apr 2020 6:23pm
jst

My two, just waiting.....

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #825017 13th Apr 2020 6:26pm
Thon

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Illy, dreaming of the start of the season, when he can stop being an arse and do what he was born to do.
Post #825037 13th Apr 2020 7:20pm
ak615

If you can't do any practical you can always bone up on your theory

Click image to enlarge
Post #825043 13th Apr 2020 7:41pm
shaggydog

I tried reading it too him but his eyes glazed over and he just went to sleep Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Its very frustrating with this lockdown, he was doing so well and now I throw a dummy he just looks at it then at me and goes "yeah, what? You know there is some tasty rabbit poop over there right? Im just going to go get that instead....."

Giving him a break from training for a few days then back to basics again. Rolling Eyes Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #825048 13th Apr 2020 8:39pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
What is he like on blinds? Sometimes it is easier to generate some drive if the dummies / titbits are hidden and then it becomes a game. More fun than out and back. 👍
Post #825051 13th Apr 2020 8:53pm
shaggydog

It can be completely random, he will do 3 perfect retrieves no problem, then send him on one and he just gets distracted by a smell then no amount of calling or whistling or anything can break his concentration.

He is incredibly head strong, even my trainer has said he is one of the most headstrong labs he has come across. He will literally look at you and go..."nah not intrested". In some ways its hilarious as if you say sit and he doesn't want to he will look up at you then back at what he is focussed on. Say it again and he will do the same but huff. Then again and he will sit and go HUFFFF and look at you as if to say "RIGHT HAPPY NOW?"

I have tryed ham, cheese, titbits you name it, if he has found a scent he goes into his own world. Then comes trotting back over like oh hey what you looking so flustered about. In the garden he is ok but anywhere new he is a liability.

Problem is if I can't call him back 100% I'm reluctant to take him off the lead as that's irresponsible but if he gets a scent he will just follow it.

Whats most frustrating is in January a couple pips on the whistle and he would be back like a shot didn't even need a treat he would coma back like a magnet. Yet now he just looks up and goes...eh no. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #825056 13th Apr 2020 9:06pm
jst

^^^^ too much to soon?

If hes great for the first three, stop trg then and come back next time.

Training must be fun and at time to suit dog and duration to suit.

Just my thoughts. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #825075 13th Apr 2020 10:12pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
You are right not to let him off if his recall is patchy. Don't be afraid of using a long line on him if it's the only way you can ensure he does recall or bring back the retrieve. My wife and I spent 18 months, 2 hours per day in training our illy after finally biting the bullet and engaging a professional regularly to teach us, virtually all of which was on a long line, so you may need some patience. You could try feeding him as a reward whilst training, presuming he's on kibble - we did this and it worked quite well for a dog not particularly food motivated.

Another thing to bear in mind is that dogs learn contextually - by that I mean that how he performs in the garden is no indicator of how he will perform in a "foreign" environment, so be prepared to start over in a new type of environment if necessary. Keep it fun, set him up for success and keep it fresh so he doesn't get bored.

I would also vouch for the web forum mentioned above - lots of great advice there, having spent many hours / days on there in the past.

Click image to enlarge
Post #825100 14th Apr 2020 12:15am
shaggydog

All good points to be going on with Thumbs Up

Tried something different today with some ham.

Threw the dummy, pause....sent him for it, he runs over, pounces on it, then runs back leaving dummy behind Rolling Eyes
Walk forward, pick up dummy, walk back.
Throw dummy again but closer....pause.....send him, he runs over touches it with his paw, I praise, he comes straight back without the dummy and nuzzles my hand to get the treat -unsuccessfully.
Try again, this time he picks the dummy and returns, give him some ham and lots of praise, then go indoors.

Few hours later, go outside again.
Throw the dummy, pause.......send him forward - picks it up immediately brings it back! Success! lots of praise back indoors bit of kibble.

Think he was so excited by the prospect of ham he forgot what he was supposed to be doing. Will see how he is tomorrow now.

On the subject of shooting to bring the thread back on topic, who else is itching to get back out into the field? Very Happy

As soon as this lockdown is over I'm going to be looking for a small syndicate to join!
If there are any left that is Shocked Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #825257 14th Apr 2020 5:22pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Good progress shaggy dog. I fear you may struggle to find a syndicate this year. We haven’t bought any birds due to c19 and there a few other local shoots in the same position. We might get 3 or 4 selective wild days in but the season will be a short one for us. Hopefully will be able to find enough work to keep the dog busy though!
Post #825275 14th Apr 2020 6:33pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Does he bring it back if you let him run in, i.e. throw it out and let him go?
Post #825277 14th Apr 2020 6:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 32 of 41 <123 ... 313233 ... 394041>