↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > EGR Valve Cleaning!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 12 <123 ... 789 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Matt, no need for thanks, it is a pleasure helping you out with minimal timescale involved but a trip to the Post Office. Thumbs Up

custom90steve wrote:
Corrosion resistance for fixings and bracket?

Binned the screws supplied in the kit, sourced some decent stainless self-tappers and then wet-assembled the whole kit and kaboodle with .....yes.....here it comes.....no surprises.....Sikaflex 29i Marine Grade sealant.....No issues with any corrosion....

Thumbs Up Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #175609 14th Oct 2012 10:13am
custom90

United Kingdom 
K9F wrote:

Binned the screws supplied in the kit, sourced some decent stainless self-tappers and then wet-assembled the whole kit and kaboodle with .....yes.....here it comes.....no surprises.....Sikaflex 29i Marine Grade sealant.....No issues with any corrosion....

Thumbs Up Laughing

I take it you won't be taking it off at all then. Razz Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #175640 14th Oct 2012 12:24pm
K9F

custom90steve wrote:
I take it you won't be taking it off at all then. Razz

That'll be a definate.....NO! I have no intention of selling my Defender and never fit items with a view of subsequent removal. I have even 'knocked on' most of the OEM stuff so I have no option to keep them on. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #175689 14th Oct 2012 4:45pm
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Well my egr has just packed in. Have run EGR cleaner through it and some 10k stuff which both sorted it out for about half an hour. Then the egr self clean fires up and clogs it all up again.

What are the implications of the blanking kit? Do you have to adjust the ecu or can you just put the plate in and it auto adjusts? Looks like I will be crawling to work tomorrow with juddery revs. Also with it blanked out is that an MOT failure with the new regs?

One very bummed out Lishlandy ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #175718 14th Oct 2012 6:03pm
K9F

Lishlandy,

Read page 2 of this thread....Dgardel's post in blue.... Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #175737 14th Oct 2012 7:08pm
Lishlandy

K9F wrote:
Lishlandy,

Read page 2 of this thread....Dgardel's post in blue.... Thumbs Up

Hi K9F,

I made sure to read the whole thread Thumbs Up but could not find anything relating to if the ecu will manage the blockage, I'm talking about blanching it entirely, not reducing it to 10ml or so. I couldn't see anything about the implications to the emissions and a possible failure of MOT if you don't have an active working egr.

Or shall I go mental and ring up BAS and just get w hole tune and get them to switch off the clogged up egr?

I'm a bit out of my depth here as am not mechanically minded at all. So please state if I'm being a div and correct me Embarassed ===================================
Steve
110 USW X-TECH
Post #175743 14th Oct 2012 7:24pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
my understanding is if you blank the whole thing off MiL light will come on and give you limp home mode as it needs to see some flow unless ecu switched off.

personally i would ring Pete. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #175756 14th Oct 2012 7:52pm
K9F

If you blank it completely you will have a permanent MIL light, the vehicle will not go into limp mode. I believe (but am not sure) that with recent or forthcoming legislation having an illuminated MIL light at MOT time will be/is a failure. Several people in the early days of the Puma did just that.... blank completely and run with the MIL light.

In my opinion for what it may be worth) running with a MIL light is not a very prudent thing to do as it could potentially mask a more serious condition should it arise.

Either go for the remap and 'switch off' facility or go for the cheaper option of finding the correct blank with the right orifice for your vehicle as both have been well-proven as effective methods. Depends what you want to achieve and how deep your pockets are I suppose.

Ring Pete all it is is the cost of a call...... Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #175761 14th Oct 2012 8:06pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
In the meantime, if you just unplug the EGR valve the MIL comes on after 3 start/stop cycles but nothing goes limp.
That's okay if the EGR valve is closed to start with. If not (and you'll probably notice other problems) then it can still be unplugged but will need to be blanked as well to stop the exhaust poisoning the intake air. IMHO these are really just temporary measures as both of the above result in a MIL that can only be cleared every 3 cycles with a Scangauge etc.

Remap (e.g. ALIVE, BAS) can keep the valve closed (still plugged in) and no MIL but only if the valve isn't so knackered it can't close in the first place.

Blanking with a small hole allows just enough exhaust gas through to fool a functioning EGR valve without poisoning the intake air too much. Again, if the valve is knackered it won't help.

I think in any event you may need a new EGR valve - then take it from there... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #175764 14th Oct 2012 8:10pm
ZeDefender

Embarassed beat me to it Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #175765 14th Oct 2012 8:10pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Sound advice from both Ze and K9F there. A tune that shuts off the valve or blanks of the correct hole size. Either way you will need a new EGR valve or you will keep getting the MIL. I changed my own EGR valve for a new one and cleared the DTC's with a tool I bought. Even factoring in buying the tool and a new torque wrench just to do the job was 1/4 the price of garage labour. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #175812 14th Oct 2012 10:22pm
Lishlandy

Thank you all for the sound advise. I have access to all the tools involved, it's just the access to the valve that is proving problematic and the fact that I was a bit begrudged at now having to spend 100 on a new EGR and try and fit it myself.

Think it puts the tune up higher in my list of things.....oh poor me Whistle .

Thanks again guys. ===================================
Steve
110 USW X-TECH
Post #175814 14th Oct 2012 10:40pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I managed to get mine being the last of the old stock (Still brand new EGR old price) at the previous prices for 92 but now they are around 130! If you got access to the tools your sorted. Fitting and access is just damned annoying time consuming and mainly fiddly. I found it took twice as long fitting the new one than removing the old one. Mainly getting gaskets to line up. Rolling Eyes Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #175815 14th Oct 2012 10:47pm
ZeDefender

Just thought - if you blank off most of the exhaust gas, perhaps it will prolong the EGR valve life...

p.s. wish I could:
a) read the signal voltages that come back of the EGR valve when it's operating, and
b) be clever enough the make a small plug-in device that mimicked them
Packaged with a blanking plate, I wonder what I could charge... Laughing
p.p.s. I paid a lot for my hardware speed unlimiter and it basically does something similar Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #175837 15th Oct 2012 7:51am
K9F

Many avenues of EGR 'mimmickery' were tried for example a resistor of the same value in lieu of the EGR, shorting out the connectoe etc. etc. by various individuals and it was a long path before the resolution of the ECU software swtch off was reached.
The blanks came first and despite much debate about correct hole size they worked.

Hands were in tatters after fitting the blank the first time due to so many sharp edges in that vicinity. Whether fitting a blank or changing the EGR valve my advice would be to get a pair of decent fitting gloves to do it. It'll save you pain and grief and about a weeks healing time afterwards. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #175847 15th Oct 2012 8:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 12 <123 ... 789 101112>