↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Defender Twin Screen Washer upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
I.AM_a driver

Scotland 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Defender Twin Screen Washer upgrade
I've often considered putting tubing onto the wiper arms, but decided to go down this route instead. I ordered the washer jet from eBay, and picked up washer tubing and a T-piece from Halfords:

Click image to enlarge

During the install, I also purchased two non-return valves from a local motor factor, and Halfords supplied the blanking cover for the hole left by the original location for the washer jet:

Click image to enlarge

First I removed the dash top rail, using a flexi-adapter screwdriver (stubby also works well):

Click image to enlarge

Next I removed the centre console (02MY) until the dash looked like this:

Click image to enlarge

The panel at the back of the centre console must be removed to gain access to the existing screen washer jet:

Click image to enlarge

The dash moulding and vent at the passenger side must also be removed in order to get at the location for the passenger side washer jet.

I routed the original tube around the heater to keep it tidy (no exensive HeatShot needed for me!) and then connected the T-piece near to the wiper motor assembly on the passenger side:

Click image to enlarge

Note that I had to use a large metal washer to secure the washer jet in the hole meant for wiper spindle, as the nut was almost the same size as the hole. The above pic also shows the non-return valve for the passenger side. Another useful point is to thread the nut and washer onto the tubing attached to the washer jet, to prevent to loss of parts into the depths of the bulkhead.

The rest was simply putting it all back together (after testing that it didn't leak!) and the finished result looks great:

Click image to enlarge

Parts Costs-

Washer Jet £4 eBay
Tubing & T-piece £6 halfords
2x Non-Return valves £5 local motor factor
blanking cover £2 halfords

So for less than £20 in parts, plus a few hours (it's more involved with Td5 centre console dash), a worthwhile improvement to make to your defender.

EDIT- new photo hosting Mark S
CONVOY for HEROES
www.facebook.com/convoy4heroes
www.lothian4x4response.org
------
Td5 90
Thread in 'My Defender' Forum

Last edited by I.AM_a driver on 2nd Sep 2015 12:12pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #228653 18th Apr 2013 8:11pm
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
Nice job. I might copy that!
Post #228659 18th Apr 2013 8:20pm
SiWhite

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Good effort - I've always done this with my Landys.

What's the gizmo on the dash on the driver's side in the third picture? CB? My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

110 TD5 BuildHERE - sold!
110 Tdci Build HERE - sold!
Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #228668 18th Apr 2013 8:37pm
I.AM_a driver

thanks guys

on top of dash are display/controllers for CB & amateur. More pics here: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic1416-15.html Mark S
CONVOY for HEROES
------
Td5 90
Post #228671 18th Apr 2013 8:48pm
Mr Baldylocks

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Re: Defender Twin Screen Washer upgrade
I.AM_a driver wrote:
I've often considered putting tubing onto the wiper arms, but decided to go down this route instead. I ordered the washer jet from eBay, and picked up washer tubing and a T-piece from Halfords:

Click image to enlarge

During the install, I also purchased two non-return valves from a local motor factor, and Halfords supplied the blanking cover for the hole left by the original location for the washer jet:

Click image to enlarge

First I removed the dash top rail, using a flexi-adapter screwdriver (stubby also works well):

Click image to enlarge

Next I removed the centre console (02MY) until the dash looked like this:

Click image to enlarge

The panel at the back of the centre console must be removed to gain access to the existing screen washer jet:

Click image to enlarge

The dash moulding and vent at the passenger side must also be removed in order to get at the location for the passenger side washer jet.

I routed the original tube around the heater to keep it tidy (no exensive HeatShot needed for me!) and then connected the T-piece near to the wiper motor assembly on the passenger side:

Click image to enlarge

Note that I had to use a large metal washer to secure the washer jet in the hole meant for wiper spindle, as the nut was almost the same size as the hole. The above pic also shows the non-return valve for the passenger side.

The rest was simply putting it all back together (after testing that it didn't leak!) and the finished result looks great:

Click image to enlarge

Parts Costs-

Washer Jet £4 eBay
Tubing & T-piece £6 halfords
2x Non-Return valves £5 local motor factor
blanking cover £2 halfords

So for less than £20 in parts, plus a few hours (it's more involved with Td5 centre console dash), a worthwhile improvement to make to your defender.

Brilliant, nicely detailed. I've fancied doing that but wasn't sure what to get and quite how to do it but now I've got the confidence so roll on next day off Thumbs Up Life is one big adventure, that's why we have the vehicle for the journey.
Post #228673 18th Apr 2013 8:52pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i did this on my trayback rebuild a while back, certainly worth doing and some good pics/links from the OP. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #228676 18th Apr 2013 8:58pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Great write-up - thanks for posting Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #228677 18th Apr 2013 8:58pm
Litch

England 
Good conversion and one that is widely carried out.
I did it many years ago and always found it a massive improvement over the original set-up. A couple of years ago I replaced the reservoir for a later twin-motor set-up and plumbed each twin-nozzle to a separate motor (soft-top with no rear wash/wipe to worry about) and I can confirm that it made no difference whatsoever to the pressure or quantity of water delivered however the increased capacity is very useful. ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #228683 18th Apr 2013 9:12pm
Stoney

1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Epsom Green
I have just done this to mine as well Thumbs Up what advantage do the non return valves have ? I didn't fit any Rolling Eyes
Post #228685 18th Apr 2013 9:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
That's a great write up, particularly as I have all of the bits in my garage to do the same. One question though - did you need to put anything under the nozzles to cover the holes from the outside? I notice that they're oval and I haven't offered up a nozzle to see if they're going to be big enough on their own. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #228716 18th Apr 2013 10:06pm
I.AM_a driver

As I had clear pipe, when I tested I could see that it took longer to get to the drivers side and it drained back to the T after stopping. I figured while I had the dash apart anyway, for the extra couple of quid putting the valves in couldn't do any harm and might help keeping screenwash ready to use in the tubes.

If it becomes an issue I'll use the excess tubing to even the lengths of the branches from the T, or even make the passenger one slightly longer so I get more on drivers side, although after testing it I don't think this will be required. Mark S
CONVOY for HEROES
------
Td5 90
Post #228718 18th Apr 2013 10:11pm
I.AM_a driver

LRA- sorry you must have posted as I was replying to the above

I didn't use anything, as you say the holes are slightly oval but even in the original figment there was no sealant around the hole. If you had black sealant I suppose you could infill the trough that goes under the ledge below the windscreen, I may still do this but haven't as yet. Mark S
CONVOY for HEROES
------
Td5 90
Post #228721 18th Apr 2013 10:19pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Excellent, thanks Thumbs Up Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #228722 18th Apr 2013 10:22pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I'd just like to add a couple of bits, I'm sure Mark won't mind. I put my T piece in on the end of the existing pipe that comes off the washer when it's in it's original central position. I cut two equal sized lengths of new pipe and put that straight on the washer bodies with the fixing nut and washer removed. I then fed the pipe through the new holes from outside and when the washer jet was ready to be fixed thread the washer and nut along the pipe, that way they can only go to the washer jet and not slip from your fingers right at the critical moment never to be seen again, also you know that the pipe is fully on the washer jet as it's pretty nigh impossible to fit when in place Whistle

I didn't put any non return valves in my mod, I'm pretty sure the original one is in the line anyway seems to jet water on the screen with very little delay on pressing the lever Thumbs Up
Post #228725 18th Apr 2013 10:24pm
shaun.mobile

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
great write up.

my only comment would be that the non return valves may cause a problem in winter when it is sub-zero and the water cannot return to the tank.

if it is minus 10 outside the tank is likely to freeze regardless but there will be a point where it is cold enough to freeze the water in the jet but not cold enough to freeze the water in the tank and that is the point where your washers won't work.
Post #228779 19th Apr 2013 9:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>