Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Caravan Porch Awning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Caravan Porch Awning
Can anyone recommend a porch awning?

Im after a porch awning for my caravan when we go away for just weekends. I want one thats easy to pack away and easy to dry out if taken down when wet. Will use our full size Isabella for longer trips.

Im considering a Kampa Rally 260 or 330 size, but ive also read a lot of good reviews of the Isabella Magnum. They are probably both worlds apart in terms of price/quality etc but was wondering what folk here use?

Last edited by WarPig on 16th Apr 2012 4:59pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #139406 15th Apr 2012 6:43pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
If you're going for the flexi pole type, check the quoted height for the awning rail against the height of yours.
Otherwise they won't pitch very well. 
Post #139409 15th Apr 2012 6:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sparkylee

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
Hi mate we have just gone from a caravan to a motor home and we have a sun camp light weight porch awning and both Issabella porch awnings magnum and minor that are all mint as we're brought with the last 2 caravans we had in the last year which we are going to sell
The sun camp and magnum we have never even used the minor I brought new we used one weekend before we seasonaly pitched and fitted a full size inaca
Let me know if your interested and can sort pics and prices
Cheers
Lee It's good to be back from the dark side

DC110 -2012 Black with black hood and black x-tech
FFRR 4.2 vogue
Renault traffic auto
PT crusier convertible
Laika x700 Motorhome
Post #139442 15th Apr 2012 8:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Funnily enough we are also looking at caravan porch awnings at the mo!

We have one already which is really easy to put up and very lightweight. It has stood up to some mighty gales pretty well for something small and cheap!

- it is similar to this but slightly bigger (a different make that I don't think is around anymore)

It has been great so far but we could now do with a bigger one since getting new lounger chairs last year and not having enough space for both of them plus a table and room to move!

So far the Kampa Rally Club 330 is the front runner for us too ! Just need to work out if it is big enough for the chairs and stuff so gonna map it out on the patio sometime this week before committing the £330!

Click image to enlarge
Post #139455 15th Apr 2012 9:16pm
WarPig

sparkylee wrote:
Hi mate we have just gone from a caravan to a motor home and we have a sun camp light weight porch awning and both Issabella porch awnings magnum and minor that are all mint as we're brought with the last 2 caravans we had in the last year which we are going to sell
The sun camp and magnum we have never even used the minor I brought new we used one weekend before we seasonaly pitched and fitted a full size inaca
Let me know if your interested and can sort pics and prices
Cheers
Lee

Lee, Im interested in your Magnum awning, I'll send you a PM Thumbs Up

Cheers
Steve.

Pam, the 330 Club is about the right size for me also, but then for about £100 more theres the choice of the 330 Plus which has the sleeping annexe. I contacted Kampa and asked them if I bought a Club awning, could I add the annex later. But sadly it isnt compatible, I have to decide in advance whether I want an awning with an annex or not. Sods law I'll buy one and then find I bought the wrong one!
Post #139499 16th Apr 2012 2:35am
Lorryman100

I have a full size and a porch awning from Isabella. The porch awning is an All in one 360, this is an all year round awning and has reinforcement poles for touring in snowy places. It has stayed put in a force 9 on the coast where as other peoples awnings where blown over the top of their vans. It gives you lots of extra space compared to the Magnum for the same money.

I forgot the curtains on this trip but they where not needed as the awning gets used as a storeroom for muddy boots,dogs etc.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Brian.
Post #139523 16th Apr 2012 10:11am
WarPig

Nice looking awning Brian Thumbs Up

Ive just checked on the Isabella website and unfortunately the All-in-one 360 is a little too long for my caravan, the end wall would finish over the middle of a window Sad
Post #139540 16th Apr 2012 11:52am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi Guys ...
not sure if its for a landy or caravan ... but you could try this one...

Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #139553 16th Apr 2012 12:55pm
WarPig

Thanks wyvern. Its for my caravan, ive edited my original post Thumbs Up
Post #139596 16th Apr 2012 5:00pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
It was probably me not reading the post properly in the first place ...! Whistle
But as you see how we use ours - keep your options open for the back of your wagon! Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #139611 16th Apr 2012 6:45pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
of all the caravan jobs to be done the only one I hate is putting up the awning. Having wrestled with lots of large awnings over the years I finally realised that all we do with them is 1) walk through them and 2) dump crap in them so :
We got a caravan whose layout suits us perfectly which means that we don't need a big awning. We only bring the awning when we're away for a week or more ( whats the point messing with one of those things over a weekend?)

I've been through a few but the one that I believe is the best value is the Bradcott Portico plus. Its well made , small enough to transport easily, sturdy and just about big enough for storage-bikes, chairs, BBQ etc and it was around £400. Very impressed overall. I have had a couple of those very lightweight ones that use long flexible poles and guy ropes but they usually end up in the bin after a couple of uses !
Post #139617 16th Apr 2012 7:17pm
Pam W

Rossy - the lightweight awnings make life soooo much simpler!

My other half can put ours up on his own while I get the kettle on.... awning up, tea up! It is so light and being a porch awning there isn't so much to thread through the channel, plus it feeds in much easier without the canvas weight dragging it down. We wouldn't swop back to a heavy one now. In fact we gave our heavy one away to a couple in our off-road club when their (heavy) one collapsed in a gale. Same gale, our little lightweight no problem, no damage!

That said, I've just ordered the Kampa 330 as described above. It is quite a bit larger than our current one and has a different pole system. So time will tell if it is easy to put up! But I'm sure it will get 'wind tested' at Robin Hood's Bay when we go in a few weeks - it is always windy there!
Post #139639 16th Apr 2012 8:24pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Don't other with any of that cheap rubbish it will end up in the bin or shed get an Isabella top notch gear Thumbs Up
I have one like lorryman and had 2' of snow on it in the alps drilled the peg holes in the ice and it was solid were as the cheapo ones just broke.

Last edited by mick on 16th Apr 2012 9:00pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #139657 16th Apr 2012 8:54pm
Pam W

Mick - very happy with my lightweight thanks. As stated above - stood up to wind and rain when others (heavy canvas things) collapsed around it! Rolling Eyes Laughing
Post #139659 16th Apr 2012 8:57pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Pam W wrote:
Mick - very happy with my lightweight thanks. As stated above - stood up to wind and rain when others (heavy canvas things) collapsed around it! Rolling Eyes Laughing

That's because they won't av put them up right or they will be a crap make Rolling Eyes
Post #139660 16th Apr 2012 9:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>