Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Caravan Porch Awning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
JSG wrote:
To get back on to the original topic and question;

I hate awnings - now I have a caravan why do want to erect a blooming tent on the side of it? However it was decreed that we needed one for the dog and boots to be dumped in, so;

I bought this porch awning at the Excel show in Feb for £100. It's very light and packs up into a small back. The pole are light - easy to erect and it proved fully waterproof and windproof over Easter.

I'll dig the name and details out if you want them.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I have spotted a big No No on the photo has anyone else.
Post #145421 16th May 2012 9:10pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
mick wrote:

The rain flaps (black bits round the bottom, not sure of their proper name) are supposed to go INSIDE the awning.

Oh and you are supposed to fully uncoil the leccy cable to prevent overheating! A bigger no-no than the above but the second one I spotted!
Post #145423 16th May 2012 9:12pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Pam W, did you get additional the rear leg poles? If not then the following wont make much sense to you.

The reason I ask is that im not sure I fitted mine correctly. I expected them to trap the vertical pad between the pole and the caravan, so that the pad protected the van from the pole rubbing against it. But in order to tie the fabric tie strips around the poles, the poles had to be positioned behind the pad.
Post #145448 17th May 2012 1:27am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Pam W wrote:
mick wrote:

The rain flaps (black bits round the bottom, not sure of their proper name) are supposed to go INSIDE the awning.

Oh and you are supposed to fully uncoil the leccy cable to prevent overheating! A bigger no-no than the above but the second one I spotted!

Rain flaps - nope, they go outside as shown as far as I know - there are pegged elastics inside of them.

Cable - yes, OH connected It and I uncoiled it after the photo. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #145449 17th May 2012 1:32am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lorryman100

The rain flaps in or out depends on the awning, my big awning tucks in the way, but it is pegged from the outside. The porch awning pegs from the inside, so it's rain/snow flaps go on the outside. I also tend to unroll the excess cable at the rear of the van. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
Post #145474 17th May 2012 9:48am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pam W

WarPig wrote:
Pam W, did you get additional the rear leg poles? If not then the following wont make much sense to you.

The reason I ask is that im not sure I fitted mine correctly. I expected them to trap the vertical pad between the pole and the caravan, so that the pad protected the van from the pole rubbing against it. But in order to tie the fabric tie strips around the poles, the poles had to be positioned behind the pad.

No, we didn't bother with rear leg poles, we thought we'd wait and see if we needed them - which is probably a no!

Not sure exactly how they are supposed to go, but the little instruction booklet seemed quite good - is there a pic in there that shows how they are supposed to look?

Didn't really get to see how effective the 'bumper' pads were, as when we tried to peg the awning touching the caravan, we then got a flappy vibration thing going on - due to the windy conditions, prolly not an issue when it is calmer! I guess with the extra poles the vibration may be lessened too though. Might see about getting them when I order the monsoon poles.
Post #145504 17th May 2012 12:53pm
WarPig

Thanks Pam, the instructions dont really show a photo of how they fit.

Re the flapping, im sure it must have been the strong winds, but did you pull the bottom corners of your awning under the caravan before pegging? I think this helps create a tight seal against the caravan.
Post #145558 17th May 2012 5:03pm
Pam W

It was when we pulled the corners of the awning under the caravan that we got the noise issue. Had exactly the same with our smaller porch awning. If the edge is taught against the caravan and pegged underneath the van, then when the wind blows (even a mild wind) through the tiny gap it vibrates and makes a buzzing noise which is really irritating, especially when you are trying to sleep. The 'cure' seems to be to peg it with slight gap, but still nice and tight. Not quite as draft proof but much quieter! Smile
Post #145618 17th May 2012 8:57pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
It was the cable
Post #145646 17th May 2012 10:43pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I bought a Kampa 330 after reading this thread. Took it away this weekend and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Our full size awning is too big, too heavy and too difficult to erect. We've 2 young kids so we're usually reduced to 1 effective adult available for construction duties.

The Kampa is simplicity. 1 person; 1st time; 30 mins. Job done (best to ignore the strange instructions, though - the pictures and text seem to be about different subjects. Pretty obvious what needs to be done).

Obviously not being able to completely seal its sides to the van increasses the wind penetration but with more attention paid to the pegging, I could have pretty well eliminated it if required.

It makes a massive difference to have that extra space - to get a table out there for eating and to give the kids somewhere to shelter from the British summer. Being mostly windows, it also means that if they want to muck about outside, we can pretty much see them the whole time.

100% converted. 100% satisfied. Thanks all. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #146460 22nd May 2012 6:11pm
WarPig

Good work alantd Thumbs Up They get lots of good reviews, and the adjustable legs allow the awning to still be pitched when the ground is sloping either away or towards the caravan. We got one for short stays, quick to put up & take down, and quick to dry once home. Not quite the quality of the Isabella Magnum, but nor does it share the £1000 price tag Shocked

Id be interested to hear if you have the optional extra rear support legs, and how thet fit against your van.
Post #146476 22nd May 2012 7:38pm
Skippy R

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Chawton White
To stop the draft at the rear of the awning (against the van) , i purchased 2 extending alloy poles and covered them with extra fat pipe lagging,the foam stuff, worked a treat in keeping the elements out especially as my little awning came with a mini side skirt for the van, Thumbs Up
Enjoy ! Dave
98 'S' 90 300Tdi (sold)
07 D3 HSE (now sold)
1993 Scania 143 450 (should have kept that ! )
Post #147391 28th May 2012 7:05pm
Lorryman100

JSG wrote:

I hate awnings - now I have a caravan why do want to erect a blooming tent on the side of it? However it was decreed that we needed one for the dog and boots to be dumped in, so;

Personally we live in the awning and sleep in the van. You effectively double the available space of your van and with an awning it only needs a little sun to become quite cosy. If no sun is available then a small heater does the same job. Also when it gets to warm you can easily remove a side or two. Admittedly I only put up the full awning if we are staying at a site for 2 weeks or longer as it is to much of a pain to erect/dismantle myself for a long weekend, then we use a porch awning which I can erect/dismantle without help. I have only been caravanning for 5 years and tried the light weight awnings at the start but moved up to the porch awning and can assemble that including the pegs in 30 mins (the missus does the curtains) so there was no time saving with the light weight porch.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Just my tuppence worth. Thumbs Up

Brian.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #148437 3rd Jun 2012 5:14pm
WarPig

Just reading through some old threads and though Id add a few more photos of our Kampa 330. Its a great awning and I can easily errect it on my own, which mens less arguing with the wife...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #234878 12th May 2013 2:14pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Hmm I'm also re reading this thread and that Kampa is quite tempting. Had to laugh at Lorryman talking about living in the awning and sleeping in the caravan. I have tried that and I just find the inside of an awning to be quite a miserable sort of temporary living room ! Laughing If its nice we sit outside. If its not we go inside the caravan. The awning is a sort of holiday shed for us but I imagine they're a necessity if you have dogs so you can keep those smelly things out of the van Rolling with laughter
Post #235038 12th May 2013 9:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>