↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Help! VCV/ ECU PROBLEM Scared I’ve bought a nail!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
whathaveidone

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Back again. 😂😬 Car drove amazingly today. Several trips locally, starting and stopping fine. No battery light and power back to normal. Just went to go back out, turned key to position 1 and hear the mega fuse blow again. This was before the starter engaged (plus new starter fitted yesterday.) Am I right in thinking that it’s only the starter and alternator on the constant live from the battery? Therefore presume the alternator is failing and leaking to earth causing the mega fuse to blow? I’m getting there, helped with your great advice! Thank you.
Post #994732 1st Jun 2023 3:16pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
A pause and a think over a brew always works.

I bet a 500A fuse blowing sounds like a rifle shot!

Keep going, it sounds like you're nearly there.
Post #994733 1st Jun 2023 3:34pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That is rather odd!

The megafuse protects the cable from the battery to the starter and on to the alternator, and there is nothing that immediately comes to mind that could cause a load in excess of 500A to appear on that cable just because the ignition is turned on. I think I'll need a cup of tea and a think to digest this.

The usual reason for the megafuse to blow (other than the hard frontal collision it is intended for) is that the cable has chafed against the vehicle structure or engine and is intermittently shorting to ground. On the Puma the engine harness in particular is notorious for chafing anywhere it contacts the engine, and it would certainly be worth checking the harness carefully for damage.

The only alternator fault I could see that could blow the MF would be if there was a fault with the field coils and there was a short to ground as a result. I am pretty sure that if this was the case it would be a short to ground irrespective of the key position though.
Post #994738 1st Jun 2023 4:26pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Did you look at the under dash fuse box like I suggested? I have had this exact fault, you could even remove all the relays and it would still start sometimes. The chip in the 10AS was corroded water had come in around the windscreen and windscreen “hinge” footwell

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #994766 1st Jun 2023 8:10pm
whathaveidone

Hi. Yes, I did check for water ingress there, thank you. I’ll look again for sure. I woke up thinking that those lives are surely live all the time irrespective of key position? Making this even more odd! I’ve got a decent tester to measure any earth leak however I feel it will be hiding! 😂
Post #994803 2nd Jun 2023 5:58am
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
An odd thought - scrotes accessing underneath and cutting battery cables is a known attempted theft method - have you physically checked the whole length of the battery cables for damage?

Then as you've done everything else I'd change starter and alternator, not overly expensive, both a PITA to do, but if it doesn't cure the fault at least you will not have to worry about them failing for the next 100k....

HTH Keith
Post #994807 2nd Jun 2023 8:19am
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Keith
Thread shows OP has done both the above Embarassed Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #994874 2nd Jun 2023 4:56pm
whathaveidone

Thank you for more suggestions. It would appear I possibly found the fault quite quickly. The plastic housing for the mega fuse has an indentation that holds the fuse. The after market replacement fuse was much shallower than the original ford fuse. I believe contact was not being made by a real fraction of a mm due to the plastic housing. We will see! 😂 This weekend i will spend some time with my family who have only seen my feet poking out from under the defender of late. The defender will be put into regular action on Monday so fingers crossed! 😂 Have a good weekend all and thank you again. I will update next week.
Post #994934 3rd Jun 2023 6:47am
whathaveidone

Morning all. Just an update after a week. Car power is great, no weirdness or loss of power so the vcv sorted this. The advice for anyone changing the vcv is to aware of cheap parts. I even had a dud denso part out of the box. Also having changed the starter motor the main fuse has stayed good. The battery light came on earlier in the week but then the car had been started over and over and conducted some short runs, so I hope this was just coincidental. I’ve driven for a week and even almost enjoyed it! Thank you all so much for your kind help. Until the next time…. 😂😬😂
Post #995865 11th Jun 2023 6:01am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
the 2011s are good cars hopefully it will start to behave DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #995868 11th Jun 2023 6:44am
whathaveidone

Thank you. I absolutely loved my Td5 as a daily driver 10 years ago. I’m really hoping to trust this thing more and more. Fingers crossed. Thank you.
Post #995869 11th Jun 2023 7:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234