↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Emergency Collision Braking - Dangerous False Alarms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
XplusYplusZ

It's tricky - as a manufacturer, I guess they have to weigh up safety vs. functionality.

I'm sure it's not hard for them to turn off the door open/reverse prevention nanny... but I bet there have been cases of serious injury and accidents by not having such safety features.

I do wonder if this was a safety feature by JLR, or a regulatory requirement.

I also wonder how the 'door closed' sensor works and if it could be bypassed if needed.... Twisted Evil
Post #994720 1st Jun 2023 11:02am
lightning

United Kingdom 
I've seen a video where a woman somehow gets out of her SUV while it's in reverse (probably a temporary "brake hold" like on our Jimny)

Then the vehicle drives over her, and she's killed. Not straight away, she gets up and chases after the vehicle.
But apparently she died later from her injuries. After that became known the video was of course taken down.

l imagine it's to prevent that kind of thing from happening.
Post #994752 1st Jun 2023 6:25pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
You can override the door open issue by just putting it back in gear manually. You can then drive with the door open to your hearts content - albeit with the bong going off.
Post #994761 1st Jun 2023 6:57pm
Kingfisher24

England 
Collision warning
I have just been driving at about 30 mph in a town with nothing in front of me and a car behind. The collision lights flashed and alarm sounded and the car squealed to a stop. Much to the amazement of the cars behind. I could see no reason for this at all.
Post #1028804 20th Mar 2024 7:03pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Our Volvo XC60 has a right hissy fit on the road into Blaco in Lancs there is a lay-by on a bend so if a car is parked in it the Volvo thinks you are stupid enough to drive into it as opposed to steering around the corner.

I much prefer my MY2010 130 without any aids, I drive it does what I say it does not even have ABS and guess what after 140,000 miles and 14 years I have never driven into anything or failed to stop in time. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #1028823 20th Mar 2024 9:36pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
As above 90,000 miles in my old Defender with no ABS or collision avoidance technology and l never went into the back of another vehicle.
Post #1028863 21st Mar 2024 3:17pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You're much more likely to now, since the vehicle in front may have this idiotic and unnecessary feature! Rolling with laughter
Post #1028873 21st Mar 2024 5:14pm
XplusYplusZ

This forum is clearly quite self-selecting. We're all on here because we enjoy driving, it interests us and as a result, we pay attention and drive well(ish).
It's easy to forget that the majority of the population really don't care about driving as much as we do, and really aren't employing as much focus on getting from A to B as they probably should.
These nanny aids are there to help the plonkers (of which there are many), not the enthusiasts.

And whilst none of us are likely to need the auto-anchors, we may well benefit from not being rear-ended by someone who definitely does need this help. (Uber drivers watching youtube, school run parents telling off their toddlers, Teens on tikotk..)

In an update to my original post on this topic, I have found that if I do make a deliberate adjustment (dab of brake) the auto-braking feature is disabled. But depending on how stupid the cyclist is, and how close to my bonnet they are, the time I have to react before the auto-intervention can vary.
Most of the time, it's triggered by a very obvious cyclist coming from one side of the vehicle and cutting across to the other-side, perpendicular to my direction of travel. (annoying in normal circumstances, expletive-triggering if the auto-brakes jam on). My previous approach would have been not to alter my trajectory, knowing I'm not going to hit them. But now I do have alter my behaviour and dab the brake to avoid the bongs and whiplash.
Post #1028968 22nd Mar 2024 10:19am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Unfortunately you and many others are Beta testers for the forthcoming self driving vehicles.

With all the electronics and the user of their new and shiny clicking on 'I Agree to the Terms and Conditions' without reading anything, manufacturers are data gathering.

Apparently Tesla are the worst company in terms of protecting their own customers from data theft.

This is why you never hear anything from JLR in terms of self driving test vehicles, i think the one they had was a D5 with the radar on the roof. And as the greater public doesn't want them, new car drivers are supplying data without the visual giveaway that the technology is being tested.

It will only get worse.
Post #1028973 22nd Mar 2024 12:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12