↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Emergency Collision Braking - Dangerous False Alarms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
XplusYplusZ

Emergency Collision Braking - Dangerous False Alarms
I'm not sure if something has been updated recently, but twice last week, cyclists weaving through traffic have triggered my collision avoidance emergency braking. It has not happened before in 8000 miles.

These are false alarms, violently stopping the car on the spot with vehicles behind me - who almost crashed into the rear. With my wife being 8 months pregnant, we definitely don't want this happening with her in the car.

I am now consciously having to turn off the collision avoidance every time we start up the car. Just in case a pedestrian or cyclist weaves between traffic.

I'd like to understand the behaviour of the braking triggers a bit better. It's hard to replicate the circumstances, but both times it's happened when a cyclist has crossed in front of me and I'm rolling slowly forward in traffic. The alarm seems to be a little delayed and the cyclist has already moved out of the way before the alarm sounds, after 2 seconds the braking kicks in. It ends up slamming the anchors on with an empty road in front of me - the cyclist is well gone.

Whilst I do appreciate the safety and benefit of the emergency intervention, and I want to keep it running for my own protection. I am now so scared it's going to go off on a false alarm I have been opting to turn it off each journey.

Does anyone know if the braking part of this feature only triggers if i dont brake/react?
(i.e. If I see the danger, know it's not a problem, the alarm sounds, can i dab the brake to avoid emergency braking? Or is the emergency braking inevitable, as soon as the alarm is triggered?

I really hope I can avoid the emergency braking by taking some action, as it's currently risking doing more harm than good.

Cheers
Post #994499 30th May 2023 3:31pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l know if you turn it off it comes back on next time you use the vehicle.

But there's also an option to adjust the sensitivity of the system. You could try turning it down and see if it remembers that.

lt's happened to me once, when l was in the middle of the road turning right, and it didn't like how close the car was coming the other way. Braked violently. At first l thought l had been hit from behind!
Post #994505 30th May 2023 4:35pm
Moo

Ukraine 
It seems to be random how and when it activates. I've had it activate when no other vehicle was around! I really don't trust it not to actually cause an accident! Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #994520 30th May 2023 5:19pm
Tim in Scotland

I’ve had mine activate recently after driving through clouds of bugs. This year seems to be worse than recent years too for them - frequent cleaning of the top of the windscreen around the cameras seems to cure it and unfortunately the wipers seem to be totally crap at removing their remains…….. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #994522 30th May 2023 5:22pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Not to hijack the thread, but my wipers are utterly useless. I ended up cleaning the bugs off by hand and when I tried to use the wash/wipers the following morning they didn’t even have the strength the clean off the water marks!

Back on topic, I got the shock of my life when the emergency break assist triggered on mine a few days back.
Post #994531 30th May 2023 6:20pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I thought you could adjust the sensitivity ? but not turn the system off Mike
Post #994535 30th May 2023 6:38pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
You can turn it off but you have to do it every time you start the vehicle.
Post #994545 30th May 2023 7:56pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
The AEB request for braking can be overridden by a turn of the steering wheel or press on the accelerator.
Post #994564 30th May 2023 10:38pm
haymeister

Japan 
Both the cameras (above the rear view mirror) and the forward facing radar (on the front bumper) are used for the AEB system. 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #994568 31st May 2023 12:14am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Do these systems also provide any form of rear collision avoidance? For example, if you are stationary can the system detect that something is about to ram you from behind and (if there is space in front) move smartly forwards?

I suspect that when we have a significant number of vehicles on the road which randomly and spuriously start to brake as hard as technology allows, we are going to have a spate of rear end collisions from the kind of idiot that follows too closely behind.

I was always brought up to believe that there is no excuse for hitting the car in front, but nowadays that seem to be challenged, with "cash for crash" scammers and "brake checkers" being held liable. What is the score if your vehicle autonomously decides to "brake check" the vehicle behind?

I predict a period of chaos before leaving a sensible distance to the car in front become the norm again!

It will also be interesting to see the domino effect when a whole line of semi-autonomous cars takes collision avoidance action because the one at the front of the queue has braked hard.
Post #994624 31st May 2023 12:59pm
XplusYplusZ

Glad I'm not the only one who finds it frustrating/dangerous. I fully agree it's going to cause accidents.

There is a sensitivity option - where I can make it even MORE sensitive/proactive. The default level is 'normal' and it wont let me go any less sensitive than that.

I will definitely try an input to cancel the braking in future. In both instances, I was rolling along in traffic with plenty of room so I didn't actually need to brake, accelerate or steer. I will try it next time though - anything to prevent this violent skid to a halt. Thanks Nick
Post #994629 31st May 2023 1:56pm
J77

Scotland 
No issues here. Beginning to wonder if mine works, as I seem to be the odd one out. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #994633 31st May 2023 2:52pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Yep no issue here either, the rear collision avoidance system did work when I was reversing out of a spot and a young lad came flying past on a bicycle, I didn't see him but thankfully the car did Confused Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #994641 31st May 2023 4:04pm
haymeister

Japan 
blackwolf wrote:
Do these systems also provide any form of rear collision avoidance? For example, if you are stationary can the system detect that something is about to ram you from behind and (if there is space in front) move smartly forwards?

Yes. It is called "Rear Collision Monitor." I've never experienced this alert though. It also does not smartly move forward, just flashes the brake lights.

I have experienced gongs and warnings from the "Rear Traffic Monitor", that Hairy Dan mentioned, in tight car parks. Reassuring piece of assistance tech, to supplement your own eyes and judgement. Never found it to be too sensitive.

More info here: https://www.landrover.com/ownership/incont...tance.html 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #994692 1st Jun 2023 1:54am
Garthlands

United Kingdom 
Not much help to the debate here, as I've got conflicting opinions of this "nanny state" technology!

The positive vote comes from an incident a few months ago on a dark morning, reversing out my driveway, admittedly not paying enough attention to notice that some clown had parked his black car across my gates, the rear collision thing did its stuff and stopped me in my tracks before I smacked into the side of it.

On the negative side however, reversing a trailer the other day, opened the drivers door to lean out and gauge the distance to the wall I was backing up to. No, no, no we're not having any of that said the car as it applies the brakes, goes into Park and bongs away to its hearts content! I had to close the door and put my seatbelt back on before it would move again. I swore at it a lot for that!! Sad
Post #994717 1st Jun 2023 11:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>