↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Question: L663 Heated steering wheel function retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
captain slow

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Question: L663 Heated steering wheel function retrofit
Hi All,

I am seeking the advice of the collective:

I am looking at buying a second hand L663, but it doesn't have a heated steering wheel (which is a must for my wife who suffers with Raynaud's disease).

Does anyone know if it something that can be added later either by enabling or swapping the steering wheel out for one that does? Is the wiring in place? etc

thanks in advance 2.2 Tdci 110 XS CSW Corris Grey
Prince Harry's D3 (gone but not forgotten)
300 Tdi 110 CSW (gone but not forgotten)
Post #1013417 31st Oct 2023 8:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lightning

United Kingdom 
Yes you can retrofit the heated steering wheel, l've seen it advertised online.

LR Retrofits do it.
Post #1013425 31st Oct 2023 9:02pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
You will need a heated steering wheel, switch pack and harness and I believe you need the whole of the indicator/wiper switch assembly as the clock spring doesn't come separate on the Defender and a new one is needed for the heated steering wheel. I have terrible problems with arthritis in my hands and changed the heated leather steering wheel on mine to an heated alcantara one (along with the paddles) and it feels so much better. Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #1013443 1st Nov 2023 12:44am
captain slow

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Thanks Ian.

That sounds like a possibility. Any help you can give on where to source the parts (particularly the alcantara wheel) would be greatly appreciated Thumbs Up

Many thanks
John 2.2 Tdci 110 XS CSW Corris Grey
Prince Harry's D3 (gone but not forgotten)
300 Tdi 110 CSW (gone but not forgotten)
Post #1013547 1st Nov 2023 5:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hairy Dan

Hi John, I got all my bits from Sophie at Duckworth Land Rover (forum sponsor) as I wanted all Land Rover genuine bits. I did all the work myself but as I already had the heated wheel I didn't need to replace the clockspring also there is a setting in the CCF file which needs changing to enable the heated wheel Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #1013598 2nd Nov 2023 12:34am
makd110

United Kingdom 
Prolbem with retro-fit heated wheel
Hi All

My first post on the forum, but have followed for quite some time; a great resource.

I've got a 2020 110SE and decided to add a heated steering wheel. I have installed the necessary compatible column stalks/switch unit, heated steering wheel, right hand wheel switch and wiring harness. Also installed a 10A fuse in socket no43 and used my GAP Diagnostics to modify the CCF for a heated steering wheel.

Despite all of the above, I keep getting the fault 'B1380-16 (2F) Steering Wheel Right Switch Pack - circuit voltage below threshold (this is the GWM-Gateway Module 'A' ECU) and of course no heating of the wheel itself!

I can only assume that the right switch has a fault, despite it seemingly working, but thought I would check I haven't missed any other key step.

Many thanks

Mark
Post #1028868 21st Mar 2024 5:17pm
Hairy Dan

The only thing I can think of is are you sure you plugged all the wires from the new harness in properly? I take it you have replaced the harness with the black plastic cage on it? I know when I did mine there was one connection that was really tricky but that may have been for the flappy paddles as I fitted them when I was doing the wheel. Cheers Ian
--------------------
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #1028887 21st Mar 2024 7:17pm
makd110

United Kingdom 
Thanks Hairy Dan for the reply - I did in fact remove the wheel and strip it down again to double check - all is correct and cannot see any damage to the harness or switch unit. I am certain I also correctly hooked up the clock spring/stalk unit - unless there is a hidden plug I am not aware of!

As you can imagine, I don't really want to buy new units to fault find, but not sure what else to try other than replace the right hand switch pack on the steering wheel.

Many thanks

Mark
Post #1028978 22nd Mar 2024 2:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1