↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > DEFENDER 300TDI - Gear Stick Will Not Go Into Any Gear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
BajanRover

1995 Defender 130 300 Tdi HCPU Alaska White
Alright so here is some insight for you guys after a bit of looking around this morning...… I did everything you guys suggested, Bled the clutch, jacked up the wheels but here is one thing I noticed which was rather immediate, from the moment I back off the bolts that mate the GB to the engine everything works like it should, I can shift into any gear and the engine rotates from the starter motor like normal which to me eliminates anything to do with the gearbox, T-Case or the selector but as soon as I tighten back the bolts the engine doesn't turn over any longer and the gears are then again impossible to get into....

My guess is that I damaged something in between the GB and the engine during my first attempts on getting everything back together. Possibly damaged friction plate fingers or clutch springs or maybe even the input shaft........I will resume after lunch and pull the engine out and remove the clutch and pressure plate and see what's up with that.
Post #991333 3rd May 2023 4:32pm
BajanRover

Been busy with work so I didn't have much time to attend to the truck, however, after taking the engine out again I noticed the spigot bush was knackered, I replaced that along with crank oil seal and throw out bearing.

Engine bolted back to the gearbox smoothly without tension.

And not to my surprise I still have issues getting the gear stick into any gear without a fight.

The clutch was bled and I have really good resistance on the clutch pedal.

The master and the slave was changed with new fluid so that's all checked out and working, so I'm fairly positive the hydraulic system is good.

Maybe I damaged something in the gearbox when trying to mate the gearbox to the engine in the beginning not knowing the spigot bush was broken inside, I never pulled down the R380 so I'm not familiar with how the internals work.

Any ideas before I go looking for a new gearbox to put in?
Post #998226 2nd Jul 2023 2:48am
BajanRover

Decided to take the extension housing off the top of the gearbox to see if the grub screw for the shifter shaft came loose.........nothing seemed out of the ordinary, I could shift into 5th gear fairly easy but all the others are giving too much resistance when attempting to select the gear.

This just seems so bizarre to me that everything worked fine before taking the GB out and following putting back to the engine I can't select gears.... baffling to say the lease.

Any thoughts Question
Post #998976 6th Jul 2023 10:19pm
Fossil

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Coniston Green
The clutch plate fitted backwards can cause these kind of symptoms, are you sure it went in the right way round?
Post #999021 7th Jul 2023 9:39am
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Just read through this and have the same thought as above, is the clutch plate in backwards?

Never pull a gearbox in with the bolts either it’s a sure sign something is wrong.
Post #999056 7th Jul 2023 1:14pm
BajanRover

Fossil wrote:
The clutch plate fitted backwards can cause these kind of symptoms, are you sure it went in the right way round?

Well to be honest my anxiety is kicking in slightly now....

But I'm fairly sure I installed it the correct way.... the clutch has to faces, one face is flat which I believe mates against the flywheel, the other side is slightly raised in the center where the springs are, I believed this side mates facing the pressure plate.

If someone can confirm my explanation is correct then maybe it is something else.
Post #999059 7th Jul 2023 1:26pm
Fossil

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Coniston Green
Well, the fact that when you back off the bellhousing bolts you can select gears suggests the gearbox is OK. And this happened when you changed the clutch....so it suggests it may have something to do with that... just saying
Post #999111 7th Jul 2023 8:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234