BajanRover

1995 Defender 130 300 Tdi HCPU Alaska White
ok great noted.
Post #981693 7th Feb 2023 6:34pm
BajanRover

Dave T wrote:
maybe give it a tap before removing..........you never know Whistle Whistle

No luck, I tried everything, but the engine is locked tight.... I can't get the crank bolt turned one bit.

The engine was turning fine before I refitted the gearbox to it which means there is a high possibility I damaged the clutch splines or something inside there.

I will split the engine and the box again tomorrow but until then what do you think is preventing the engine from turning over?
Post #981718 7th Feb 2023 11:16pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
BajanRover wrote:
What also doesn't add up to me is that why would the bearing be making noise if the gearbox is in neutral? Shouldn't the shaft be stationary once the gearbox is in neutral?

I'm assuming it would make noise when a gear is selected.

I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

When the engine is running, the input shaft, the lay shaft and all the gears (except reverse idler gear in certain boxes) are turning, even though box is in neutral.
When you press the clutch pedal, the clutch is disengaged, and at that moment the gearbox become fully stationary. When a gear is selected, that particular gear is locked to the gearbox mainshaft and the mainshaft then drives the transfer case, then the diffs and then the wheels.

Why your engine is now locked, I would think something is not right around the flywheel/pressure plate, perhaps binding with something in the bellhousing. But this is really a guess. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #981724 8th Feb 2023 6:33am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
You would think that the engine being lock up AFTER changing the clutch has something to do with you changing the clutch. Engines don't seize up spontaneously.

Remove the starter and try to turn the engine, at least you can eliminate that/

So can we assume that when you put it all back together, it did not go together smoothly? There would be the pilot bearing, which I recall had failed - was this changed and did you check a smooth fit (although I doubt the pilot bearing has the strength to lock and engine). Then there is the spline engagement. Most importantly did you use the bell house bolts to mate the engine and gearbox (forced) or was it mated by hand without any force and the bolts just secured the assembly?

Obviously it needs to come apart again.
Post #981736 8th Feb 2023 10:57am
jfh

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Chawton White
Most probably the clutch is installed incorrectly.
Post #981871 9th Feb 2023 2:04pm
BajanRover

TexasRover wrote:
You would think that the engine being lock up AFTER changing the clutch has something to do with you changing the clutch. Engines don't seize up spontaneously.

Remove the starter and try to turn the engine, at least you can eliminate that/

So can we assume that when you put it all back together, it did not go together smoothly? There would be the pilot bearing, which I recall had failed - was this changed and did you check a smooth fit (although I doubt the pilot bearing has the strength to lock and engine). Then there is the spline engagement. Most importantly did you use the bell house bolts to mate the engine and gearbox (forced) or was it mated by hand without any force and the bolts just secured the assembly?

Obviously it needs to come apart again.

it was forced i'd say..... i used the bolts to help fasten the GB to the engine.....Can there also be a possibility of the gearbox being in gear but the gear stick is showing it's in neutral?

Reason i am asking is because i did remove the gear selectors in order to remove the gear stick.
Post #987827 3rd Apr 2023 9:11pm
BajanRover

jfh wrote:
Most probably the clutch is installed incorrectly.

The clutch was never touched.... i only removed the gearbox to change the clutch fork, the clutch was working perfectly before separating the GB from the engine.
Post #987828 3rd Apr 2023 9:12pm
Dinnu

BajanRover wrote:
...Can there also be a possibility of the gearbox being in gear but the gear stick is showing it's in neutral?

Reason i am asking is because i did remove the gear selectors in order to remove the gear stick.

If gearbox is in gear, and handbrake is on, you should still be able to rotate the engine a bit clockwise and anticlockwise until you take up the backlash in the gears.

If clutch pressure plate is fouling on something, then probably engine will be rock solid and cannot rotate at all. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #987845 4th Apr 2023 4:59am
BajanRover

Ok well i definitely have to take back out the engine and inspect the pressure plate and the clutch, while im at it i will take a look at the bushing where the output shaft goes into on the crank side.
Post #987958 4th Apr 2023 11:30pm
BajanRover

Update...

I took some time away from the Landy to focus on work for a few weeks and decided to basically diagnosing the issue from a fresh start.

Currently the gear stick feels to be in neutral as I can wobble it all over the place, if I jack up the rear of the truck I can also spin both wheels freely when the T-case is in neutral, but when all wheels are on the ground I cant pull or push the truck from the outside acting like its still in gear.

I will double check the grub screw to ensure its tight but if it is what would be the cause of this issue?

Remember I did not touch the clutch nor the pressure plate while conducting the job, all was done was the engine was removed to change out the worn clutch fork, I also changed the master cylinder and the slave cylinder along with the clutch hose.

I can also rotate the engine by hand using a socket on the crank bolt but from the time I mate the engine back to the gearbox it seizes and I'm unable to turn it by hand.
Post #991196 2nd May 2023 5:31pm
Dinnu

Quote:
if I jack up the rear of the truck I can also spin both wheels freely

If you jack both rear wheels at the same time, it could be that only the differential is working, and while you spin one wheel clockwise, the opposite wheel is spinning anticlockwise. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #991200 2nd May 2023 5:46pm
BajanRover

Correct, this only happens when the T-Case is in neutral, but from the time I engage either high or low the wheels lock up even when the Gearstick is in the neutral position.

Basically if all wheels are on the ground and I have both the T-Case and the Gearbox in the neutral position I should be able to pull the truck freely along but this is not the case, I can barely push or pull the truck a few inches, it is acting like its in gear..... funny this is the truck is on a slight incline and should just roll backwards if neutral is selected.... but it's not moving anywhere.

Why could this be?
Post #991204 2nd May 2023 5:59pm
htb2

Scotland 
If you take the PTO cover off the back of the transfer case and take out the transfer input gear, you should be able to further diagnose the problems location, by selecting what gears move when gearbox or transfer case are in neutral. It will only take 15mins to remove cover and gear.
Post #991219 2nd May 2023 7:19pm
BajanRover

Valid point... Will take a look.
Post #991254 2nd May 2023 10:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>