↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > 300Tdi Air filter options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
300Tdi Air filter options
I've gone through a fair few air filters over 12 years of owning the beast.

Always bought Mann or Mahle given the option.

One of the above had the outer cylinder completely fabricated from expanded metal mesh rather than a solid cylinder half perforated with holes. It seemed to last longer and work better but I only found it the once and can't find it listed anywhere.

Given it's bigger area available for cleaning air I would like to get the same type again as it did seem to improve the lung capacity of the engine.

I'm guessing I got lucky with that particular one and they are no longer available. The nearest thing I can find now it the Pipercross type of cleanable and reusable filter which has no mass obstructions between the air inlet and the filter medium.

Has anyone got any experience of these aftermarket "upgrade" air filters, do they make a difference and more importantly do they do the job properly? 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #999099 7th Jul 2023 6:28pm
MercianRover

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Java Black
They don't filter as effectively as a paper element - that's how they manage to flow more air. If you look at construction plant it uses paper elements, typically Donaldson as does every application where durability is key. There's an excellent comparison on an Australian website of oiled cotton gauze versus paper filters.

This is pretty in-depth but not what I was looking for:
https://www.project200.com.au/filter-testing/

If you are concerned about filter life why not fit a pre-cleaner.
Post #999119 7th Jul 2023 9:47pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Re: 300Tdi Air filter options
300TDi CSW Phil wrote:
I've gone through a fair few air filters over 12 years of owning the beast.

Always bought Mann or Mahle given the option.

One of the above had the outer cylinder completely fabricated from expanded metal mesh rather than a solid cylinder half perforated with holes. It seemed to last longer and work better but I only found it the once and can't find it listed anywhere.

Given it's bigger area available for cleaning air I would like to get the same type again as it did seem to improve the lung capacity of the engine.

I'm guessing I got lucky with that particular one and they are no longer available. The nearest thing I can find now it the Pipercross type of cleanable and reusable filter which has no mass obstructions between the air inlet and the filter medium.

Has anyone got any experience of these aftermarket "upgrade" air filters, do they make a difference and more importantly do they do the job properly?

what i have done in my Peugeot 306 HDI and in my old 300 TDI, my TD5 and my dads 200 TDI was fit the ITG panel filters, which just replace the OEM filters. ITG are used in the BTCC and in other racing cars, I have had no bother at all with MAF sensors on the Peugeot and TD5. The Peugeot has ran one for over 10 years. If anything i replaced the filter last year, rather than re oil it, due to the age of the unit. Do they do anything performance wise, very little. The De Cat made a more difference to the 306, the TDI and TD5 just more of a growl that's about it. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #999144 8th Jul 2023 2:10am
MercianRover

MAF isn't the critical element here, it's grit ingress into the engine and making it's way into the oil. BTCC engines probably last a season and cost is relatively not a problem.

Oily sponges are ok for dirt bikes and garden equipment, machines which are assets use paper elements.
Post #999187 8th Jul 2023 12:41pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
MercianRover wrote:
They don't filter as effectively as a paper element - that's how they manage to flow more air. If you look at construction plant it uses paper elements, typically Donaldson as does every application where durability is key. There's an excellent comparison on an Australian website of oiled cotton gauze versus paper filters.

This is pretty in-depth but not what I was looking for:
https://www.project200.com.au/filter-testing/

If you are concerned about filter life why not fit a pre-cleaner.

Interesting video comparison that. Thanks for posting it Thumbs Up I confess that I flip-flop between the ITG filter and paper filters depending on where my opinions fall on the subject of filtration versus air flow.

What I have noticed is that since fitting the Mantec-style downward facing cyclonic RAI head, albeit an all plastic version with upper rain gutter, the amount of water getting into the airbox has reduced to almost nothing. Whereas the Safari scoop head even with its rain channels was next to useless and regularly soaked the air box and filter. Living here in North Wales rain is something you have no choice about, if it isn't raining, it is either just about to or if you are really lucky it might have just finished Rolling Eyes

And whilst I am on the topic of air flow and precipitation... Love the snow cowl I have on Miffy as it does what it is meant to, but... in traffic it doesn't half suck up the exhaust emissions from the car in front Shocked Just an observational warning... Rolling Eyes
Post #999190 8th Jul 2023 1:20pm
kenzle8a

MercianRover wrote:
MAF isn't the critical element here, it's grit ingress into the engine and making it's way into the oil. BTCC engines probably last a season and cost is relatively not a problem.

Oily sponges are ok for dirt bikes and garden equipment, machines which are assets use paper elements.

That’s a fair bit of nonsense, I’ve used ITG elements for years, they are rather better made than the others. My father in law runs them on both his v8 Morgan racers that do 3-4 seasons between rebuilds.
Post #999222 8th Jul 2023 4:39pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
lord-haggis that's why i switched to ITG stuff, if high end racing cars use them, and even club racers i have seen use ITG induction kits too. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #999264 8th Jul 2023 8:57pm
kenzle8a

Paper will flow fine. However I've seen a few interesting things gain entry to an inlet plenum punching through a paper filter, the ITG's have a decent supporting grid in them.

ITG are also one of the few that don't screw up MAF's and Map Sensors. In my experience a lot of the others have too much oil in them and it messes with the electronics as it ends up coating the sensors. This is where paper is still superior as it will never mess with a sensor.
Post #999327 9th Jul 2023 3:02pm
Fossil

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Coniston Green
Considering this is (originally) about 300tdi filters, sensor fouling is not a consideration, there is nothing to foul.
Post #999382 9th Jul 2023 9:31pm
MercianRover

lord-haggis wrote:
MercianRover wrote:

That’s a fair bit of nonsense, I’ve used ITG elements for years, they are rather better made than the others. My father in law runs them on both his v8 Morgan racers that do 3-4 seasons between rebuilds.

What OEM specifies a filter element other than pleated paper?

3-4 seasons between rebuilds is beyond the pocket of most of us on here.
Post #999402 10th Jul 2023 7:43am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Just fit a good qaulity replacement paper filter its still the best filtration/air flow combination as used by most high performance car manufacturers
Post #999432 10th Jul 2023 10:40am
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I've done the sensible thing and just put the standard MANN filter in as always. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #999500 10th Jul 2023 4:19pm
donmacn

Re: 300Tdi Air filter options
300TDi CSW Phil wrote:

Given its bigger area available for cleaning air I would like to get the same type again as it did seem to improve the lung capacity of the engine.

I meant to reply to this earlier as I'd chased around the same issue a couple of months ago.

It's always seemed to me that the standard Defender filters 'hide away' too much of the filter material, so I was looking for a similar thing to yourself. I did find out that you need some sort of cover as this protects the filter material at the point where the air intake enters the filter housing. I posted a picture of my last 'standard' filter cartridge and it clearly shows a rusty 'blast spot' where moisture droplets come in.

Click image to enlarge

So a filter with a more exposed or unprotected paper element would risk damage, and possibly weakening at that critical spot. I found a Donaldson filter, with a plastic 'sleeve' at that point and have put that in. I think the part number is P182052. It did need the plastic fins trimming a little, but it wasn't a big deal.

(Edit: In fact it's very like the 200Tdi filter here: https://www.paddockspares.com/ntc6660-air-...WMQAvD_BwE but I don't know if this will fit in the 300 housing...?)

Does any of it make any difference at all....? Who knows. Unless you had access to a lot of high-tech diagnostic equipment it's probably very subjective. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #999503 10th Jul 2023 4:43pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
Always genuine filters for me Oil/Fuel/Air as they are not expensive if bought via second source suppliers like Paddocks etc and not worth risking substandard parts which could do ££££xpensive damage if they are not upto the job.

I use the 200tdi filter in my 300tdi as it is a straight fit and IMO a better design. See threads below...

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic86495.html?

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83095.html?
Post #999950 13th Jul 2023 6:07pm
spudfan

Ireland 
My first Land Rover was a Turbo Diesel 90 bought new in 1990. The hand book that came with the vehicle stated that if your air filter needed replacing and you could not get a replacement you could wash your existing one. You just immersed it in a bucket of warmwater with a drop of washing up liquid for a short time. Then once removed you let it dry in a warm place like an airing cupboard or similar. It had to be bone dry before you used it again. Just out of curiousity I tried it and it worked.
The Mahle catalogue says that the 300 tdi air filter is to be discontinued, so it must be gone now unless you could find one on EBAY. The 200 tdi filter is still listed in the Mahle catalogue.
https://web.tecalliance.net/mahle-catalog/...7;groups:8 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1000339 16th Jul 2023 12:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>