Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Front Shock Absorber Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
DG123

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
stephan123 wrote:
Hi,

I made a start today on swapping out the front shocks but fear I may have fallen at the first hurdle Embarassed

There is a large hose obstructing the cover in the engine bay. Seems fixed and I think it may be part of the aircon system which makes me even more uneasy. There was no mention of this obstruction the guide...just wanted to see if anyone figured a work around.

Many thanks

Click image to enlarge

Just finished fitting Fox shocks front and rear. I faced the similar issue on the passenger side with the large hose and some plumbing from the air con. The standard stock turret was a Censored to get out. The trick is to push the hose down under the metal inter cooler connector pipe rather than pulling it up. You can also take out the captive bolt holding the air con pipe to give a bit more space.

Click image to enlarge

It’s still a bit of a battle though Mad Much easier going back on with new Gywn Lewis turrets; they take up much less room
Smile

Click image to enlarge
 2012 110 XS SW Orkney Grey
2003 D2 Td5 Black [SOLD]
Post #913589 22nd Jul 2021 3:09pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
As other people have already mentioned, changing the front dampers on PUMA models is a bit more fraught as there are various pipes, air box etc. in the way.

When I did mine I found that getting the old turret passed the various obstructions to be a right PITA. I was installing new Gwyn Lewis HD turrets and rings so I did not need the old original ones. I used a small cut off tool https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cat...-off-tool/ to cut around the top of the turret. The much smaller top part of the turret and the old damper are much easier to pass through the limited space. Once the damper is out of the way, the bulky bottom part of the turret can come out sideways.
Post #984588 6th Mar 2023 3:31pm
nitram17

just doing some scouting before i change my front shocks shocks (puma 2015) the turret plastic access cover on the wing shield appears very difficult to remove on the puma with aircon pipes on the near side as the airbox is in the way ......do you have to remove the airbiox first?
Post #993427 20th May 2023 8:31pm
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Hey Nitram

Just done this last week new shocks all round. On the drivers side the screw hidden by the airbox can be unscrewed from under the wheel arch with a pair of pliers. No need to remove the airbox. When you refit you can screw it in upside down from inside the wheel arch with a screw driver.
Post #993500 21st May 2023 2:11pm
nitram17

Thumbs Up is anybody concerned with the plastic turret cap not exactly being sealed very well and crud /dust making it into the engine bay?

just t confirm the torque settings for the shock bushes is 38 nm top and bottom ?
Post #994613 31st May 2023 11:49am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
It doesnt seal. Dont worry about Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #994643 31st May 2023 4:10pm
nitram17

Thanks jst ..changed my springs and didnt need spring compressors and you wont uless your using huge springs.

I simply used a procedure see ride confort thread bottle jack on axle to give enough room for springs to fall out.
My drive is sloping so i cannot safely jack up both wheels.
!.Remove turret cover
2.Jack up car on chassis axle stands for safety
3. Remove wheel
4.Jack under axle(bottle) of side your doing and support axle only.
5.Remove botton nut of shock(bracing shock with mole grips)
6.Remove turret nuts
7.lift out shock ant turret
8.lower jack on axle and remove
9.Place bottle jack on flat surface of bump stop on axle and jack up against chassis (pushing the axle down in controlled way)slowly in a controlled fashion being wary of brake hoses,springs will fall out ..no levering .pushing or shoving this should work for all except very long springs.

Click image to enlarge

I was surprised how controlled it was and if i can do it anybody can.Obviously there is limit to the articulation due to the brake hoses but it should work easily enough on all but the larger springs.
Post #995833 10th Jun 2023 4:46pm
TriniDaddy

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Arles Blue
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Completed the job last week. Lost one of the turret ring bolts though. Small price to pay, Will just drill a hole and fit a new bolt. Definitely changing to the stainless turrets next time around. 110 SW 2.4
IZUMI BLUE
Post #1003662 10th Aug 2023 8:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234