↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Solar battery trickle charger?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
swisslad

United Kingdom 
Solar battery trickle charger?
Anyone using/recommend a solar trickle charger for 12v battery?

Ideally, I would like to leave the solar panel on the dash and plug into 12v cigarette lighter socket for when the car is not used for longer periods.

Running XS P400e
Post #971797 20th Nov 2022 2:21pm
riz5x48g0

2014 Defender 110 2.5 TD SW Firenze Red
Have a look at this thread: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83906.html

I haven't tried charging through the 12V lighter socket (my solar charger doesn't have the 12v plug) and haven't seen any information that this would be possible.

LR recommends to hook up any charger to the leads in the engine compartment. The car electronics don't like it if you hook it up directly to the battery leads under the seat.
Post #979306 23rd Jan 2023 7:15am
Tim in Scotland

From experience with 2010 FFRR, 2014 Evoque, 2015 RRS and now with the Defender you cannot plug in chargers through the 12v socket anymore as they go to sleep when the car shuts down and shuts off the BMS. I left my 110 D240 in the long term outside car park at the airport for a month last summer and hooked up my Maplin solar trickle charger to the jump start posts under then bonnet, lead the cable inside through the bonnet seal, door hinges and left the solar panel on top of the dash. Came back to a fully charged battery! I can take a photo of how I do it if you like.

Swisslad - I see your Defender is the P400e - I also run a Mini Electric and that will top up the 12v battery from the HV 32kWhr battery if the 12V drops below a certain level - I have a home charger that I can operate remotely over the internet so I left the Mini plugged in and set to “ charge immediately” but the charger in Stopped Mode so I could start it from any Wi-Fi connection. fYI in the month I was away the Min’s battery only depleted by 3kWhr - that might be the way around topping up your P400e’s batteries. While I was away the level 2 home charger wasn’t called on once in the month. When I had a PHEV Mini Countryman I used to go away for 3-4 months at a stretch and just left the car plugged into the “granny charger” and could monitor the SOC via the Mini Connected app and start it charging if necessary - again even after 4 months it had lost very little charge from the motive battery or the q2v battery. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #979336 23rd Jan 2023 12:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1