Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Flippin’ 3 Amigos
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Screbble wrote:
Bluest wrote:
I’ve had mine out and back in but I took the wing off. It takes longer, but I liked having proper access. I replaced the shuttle valve switch, I didn’t do the bypass as I didn’t know at the time, but it’s been fine since.

BTW, I know you’re sorted now, but I’m in East Lancs with a Nanocom if you ever need.

Thanks for the info and kind offer Bluest 👍

Did you replace the whole ABS unit or take it out just to replace the shuttle valve switch on the bottom?

My pump motor has failed but I understand you can’t simply replace that - a new ABS block is required £££££

Did you disconnect the unions/pipes and have to re-bleed? If so, was it difficult?

Cheers,

Will

I just replaced the shuttle valve and put the same pump/motor back. I did disconnect at the unions and re bleed the whole lot. I went through a lot of brake fluid but got there in the end. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #972547 27th Nov 2022 8:58am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Thanks Bluest,

Yes it did cross my mind that you’d need to completely refill the system - which is no bad thing.

I’ve managed to source a decent ‘guaranteed’ second hand unit that’s nearly 10 years newer than mine so might be a job I tackle myself - not sure yet.

Not worried about the removal and re-bleeding per se, more hoping that it can be done without taking the Defender apart!
Post #972548 27th Nov 2022 9:15am
Screbble

Bluest wrote:
Screbble wrote:
Bluest wrote:
I’ve had mine out and back in but I took the wing off. It takes longer, but I liked having proper access. I replaced the shuttle valve switch, I didn’t do the bypass as I didn’t know at the time, but it’s been fine since.

BTW, I know you’re sorted now, but I’m in East Lancs with a Nanocom if you ever need.

Thanks for the info and kind offer Bluest 👍

Did you replace the whole ABS unit or take it out just to replace the shuttle valve switch on the bottom?

My pump motor has failed but I understand you can’t simply replace that - a new ABS block is required £££££

Did you disconnect the unions/pipes and have to re-bleed? If so, was it difficult?

Cheers,

Will

I just replaced the shuttle valve and put the same pump/motor back. I did disconnect at the unions and re bleed the whole lot. I went through a lot of brake fluid but got there in the end.

Hi Bluest,

When you drained/emptied the system to replace the unit did you just use one of the bleed nipples on the caliper or use a syringe or similar at the master cylinder?

I’m thinking ahead and might buy some blanks for the two master cylinder pipe union ends I disconnect from the unit.
Post #972755 28th Nov 2022 9:35pm
Bluest

I didn’t deliberately set out to drain the entire system, in fact I didn’t really plan ahead what would happen with all the fluid, it just sort of all ended up running out. At the same time I fitted some Pioneer flexi hoses to the front callipers so that drained a good chunk of the fluid out while I was faffing around doing that, then when I took the abs pump out I think I just let the rest drain from the unions into a container. It comes out very slowly. I tried putting a plastic bag over the reservoir and screwing the lid over it in the hope it’d create a vacuum and keep fluid in but it didn’t work.

Bleeding the system was a chore. I tried following the power bleed procedure in the wsm with my Nanocom, but I could never get any fluid to actually flow from the callipers. I have a Sealey pressure bleeder which is usually great, but couldn’t get a firm pedal with that. I think the problem there is you can’t get them to a high enough pressure to flush the valve block properly without risking bursting the reservoir (you can see it swelling at normal low bleeding pressure). So in the end, back to basics, got my dad to sit in and pump the pedal as hard as possible and did it the old manual way. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #972758 28th Nov 2022 10:06pm
Screbble

Cheers Bluest - all good to know Thumbs Up
Post #972759 28th Nov 2022 10:19pm
Screbble

Obviously as the weather gets colder and wetter, and the nights are drawing in, I’m considering replacing the ABS pump and valve block…(as my Landy is now unfortunately off the road).

Although Si and I have identified the fault, I’ve yet to remove the unit (succumbing to man flu last week).

I’m still at the planning stage, and am thinking of trying to blank off each of the brake pipes as I remove them from the block. I’m not sure if minimising fluid loss etc. is actually any benefit as I’ll need to completely refill and bleed the system anyway. But I do have quite a number of spare female brake pipe connectors that I can ‘convert’ into blanks/caps.

Anyhow…

It looks to me as though 4 of the connections are M10x1 and possibly 2 are M12x1.
Can anyone confirm this please?
Post #973295 3rd Dec 2022 9:03am
Screbble

Had a closer look with corrected vision.

Looks to me like the following:

Master cylinder feed F - M12x1
Master cylinder feed R - M12x1
FR - M10x1
RR - M10x1
FL - M12x1
RL - M12x1

So slightly different to my first thoughts.

Anyone able to confirm?
Post #973311 3rd Dec 2022 11:47am
neon1991

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Firenze Red
sorry just seen this! I replaced the unit on mine. I actually used a disco one. much cheaper and tons second hand. just ignore the labeling on the unit and make sure you connect up all the pipes in their original positions (if that makes sense) it's exactly the same unit.
Post #973596 6th Dec 2022 11:45am
Bluest

Neon - is it known whether the the Disco pump actuates the correct wheel even though it's "plumbed
wrongly"? I'm just thinking it might all fit and plug in correctly, but it could be wired differently internally to reflect the different port locations. If wrong it could have serious consequences when it triggers.

It could probably be tested using the functions in a Nanocom, so someone may well have checked. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #973600 6th Dec 2022 12:16pm
Screbble

Thanks all

This is all really helpful.

My Landy is still off the road as I haven’t had time to remove the ABS unit.

I had heard that the Disco units were slightly different (master cylinder feed pipe location) but I honestly don’t know.

I have found a company that reconditions ABS units on an exchange basis with a warranty/guarantee which sounds a little more reassuring than me opting for a second hand unit (prices are comparable).

Something that did cross my mind based on other feedback above is whether I can actually get the unit out from above. It all looks tight…

Any other info welcome before I take the plunge.
Post #973606 6th Dec 2022 1:03pm
neon1991

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Firenze Red
When you go through the process of bleeding you will quickly realise it actuating the correct wheel so yes. Verified. I have a recon unit waiting to go in because I bought the disco unit out of impatience 🤣 just to see if it worked and it did. If anyone has done that job before then you don’t really want to do it twice 😂
Post #973681 6th Dec 2022 7:37pm
Screbble

Neon1991,
Did you manage to remove the ABS unit ‘as one’ from above i.e. without removing the wing or inner wing?

I’m guessing that without the power connected to the unit then the valve block is simply a ‘straight through’ scenario for bleeding purposes?

When the weather improves (???) I’m planning to remove my unit and send it off for reconditioning.
Post #974053 9th Dec 2022 1:19pm
Screbble

Well not a great end to the year…

Dad passed away after a short illness and I contracted COVID since my last post - so not a great deal of progress with the ABS removal until a few days ago, when I felt well enough.

Finally removed the ABS unit from above (it was a pain in th’arse) and I sent it off to ECU Testing.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I blanked off each of the brake pipes as I disconnected them to minimise the ‘mess.’ It worked well.
The service and comm’s from ECU Testing over Christmas have been excellent and they are reconditioning my unit which should have a lifetime warranty. The cost isn’t much different to buying a second hand unit off eBay.

I’m not really looking forward to refitting it as it’ll be a faff, but I am looking forward to the distraction from the negativity - and I am looking forward to getting back on the road in the new year.

All the best to you all and wishing you a happy new year!

Will
Post #976192 31st Dec 2022 5:29pm
Sicastle71

England 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Alaska White
Sorry to hear about your dad my condolences. Let me know when you’re ready and I will come round with the nanocomm and help bleed the brakes. Si
Post #976238 1st Jan 2023 6:57am
Screbble

Thanks Si - much appreciated.

I’m just waiting for the reconditioned ABS unit and then I’ll take a deep breath and get it fitted. I suspect it’ll be with me early next week.

I’ve got the Defender inside the garage now as I didn’t want to be faffing about with the bonnet and vents off etc. outside in this weather. That’ll make our life easier when we bleed the brakes too!

I’ll give you a shout when we are ready to go 👍

Thanks again Si 👍
Post #976463 2nd Jan 2023 9:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>