↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > who's fitted an EGR?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
blackrock

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Firenze Red
Well, I was about to change the EGR, and have actually bought a new one. Went off to do the job, and as far as I can see, in order to get access on my 2,2 Puma with air conditioning I would have to remove the heater unit. there's just no way I could get in there to undo at least 3 of the bolts. in order to get the heater unit out it is necessary to discharge the air conditioning. so, really, that's not practical for me. So it's booked in at a local garage to have it done. To be fair, they weren't that much more expensive than the parts.

So, anyone want a 2.2 PUMA EGR valve, with gaskets?

Andrew
Post #965294 17th Sep 2022 2:44pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I have a 2.2 with aircon as well.
No need to remove the the heater unit, you do have to remove the heater valve bracket, but that’s not hard and all you loose is about 300ml of coolant. One bolt is relatively easy to remove from above, the lower bolt is hard as are the two other nuts and studs, but still possible, the two hose clamps are difficult but possible.
I keep meaning to do a how to guide as I was helped by another member with instructions via a pm and in turn expanded those instructions and helped an additional member myself via pm’s. I just don’t have any pics.

As for costs, you must have got a good price from the local garage as I purchased a true OEM pierburg valve for £99 ( prob £130 now) and expect a good indi would need circa 2 hours min to do the job if they have done several times before. Having said that it is a real pain and if their hourly rate is low then half way though doing the job yourself ( circa 4hrs first time) most I expect will regret not paying 2hrs labour for a good uni to do it.
Post #965340 17th Sep 2022 10:44pm
blackrock

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Firenze Red
I'd like to see a video or photos of this being done, as I had a good look at this and I couldn't see how to do it without removing the heater. Holding the new EGR up to find the bolt and stud alignment, I could just see the end of one bolt, the other three I couldn't see or even feel. As for getting tools in there, I
just couldn't see how to do it.
The heater valve bracket doesn't seem to be in the direction you'd need to use to get tools in there, does it help that much?

And yes, they did give a pretty good price, although they probably get the parts cheape than I can manage, and I'd say they added 2 hours labour, maybe 3.

Andrew
Post #965343 17th Sep 2022 11:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234