↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > who's fitted an EGR?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Just ignore that, mine was the same.
They've no doubt improved them in various ways. Thumbs Up
Post #349648 5th Aug 2014 1:43pm
Marco

Netherlands 
Thanks!
Post #349649 5th Aug 2014 1:50pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You may notice that it acts slightly differently on shut down too. Thumbs Up
Post #349681 5th Aug 2014 4:49pm
martinfiattech

England 
Come on lads it`s an egr valve it`s not rocket science.
The same engines in Fiat ducato`s, peuegot boxer, citroen relay. and a few others.
If access is an issue LET THE FRONT TYRES DOWN.

Two 10 mm hex headed bolts into egr from heatexchanger.
Two 8 mm hex headed bolts from egr into induction pipe towards inlet manifold.
Don`t mess about with fitting new allen or torx bolts. As when they corrode they will round off much quicker.
It`s replaced in a hour, check the electrical multi plug for corrosion it can and does corrode.

If your worried about the bolts snapping get it stinking hot first. Slacken the two 8 mm headed bolts first.
This will stop the steel tube going into the inlet manifold from twisting on it`s axis. It`s made of chocolate, then carry out same to the others. leave to cool and serve with Jaffa cakes and fresh mug of tea !

Yes the bolts can and do snap put steel thru ally it will corrode !
Examine the bolts on removal if ok re fit. Myself I put some coppa slip on them for the next person, it may be me.
You don`t really need a torque wrench common sense and a short spanner is all that's needed.
If the bolts do snap, and this happened to me on Tuesday.
2.2 puma engine fiat ducato with 185,000 miles behind it just whip out the steel tube. 1. 10 mm bolt to block and two 8 mm short screws into plastic inlet manifold.
Drill the remains out nut and bolt straight thru, you don`t need to go all fancy with re tapping treads.

On the subject of the steel tube that goes into the inlet manifold from the egr valve, I have had that block up.
This has given rise to egr insufficient flow faults, this is usualy accompanied by black smoke.
This is always on vehicles of low mileage / short runs. such as my own defender now 1700 miles since I got it in November !!!

I`ve fitted hundreds of egr valves to vehicles over the years, if you want a good one may I suggest the new merc sprinter om 651 twin turbo engine .
Standard merc time 5.3 hours. 3 hours of which you will spend upside down.

As for the old wifes tail of blocking it off. Yes you can put a plate in with a 10 mm hole init to restrict flow, I`ve done 20 or 30 transits with out issue. I thought it was a waste of time but he was paying me so what do you do !!

If you choose to fully block it off with out the ecu being re programed, at some point it will recognise a low thru the egr via the air flow meter, as it expects to see a reduction in measured air mass while egr cycling.
After all the air has to come from some where.

Happy mending to all, off to drive the defender for the first time this week.
Since my hols I`ve put on half a stone so I`ve been biking it to work. Door to door 2.5 miles in 7 minutes, it`s quicker than the car and much cheaper on the fuel to. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #350437 8th Aug 2014 11:37pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Jist is to be progressive and gentle but not go at it like a bull in a china shop.
One of those things that once you've done once you could do it time and time again in next to no time.
Not that you'd want to. Whistle
Post #350442 9th Aug 2014 12:34am
munch90

England 
martinfiattech wrote:
Come on lads it`s an egr valve it`s not rocket science.
The same engines in Fiat ducato`s, peuegot boxer, citroen relay. and a few others.
If access is an issue LET THE FRONT TYRES DOWN.

Two 10 mm hex headed bolts into egr from heatexchanger.
Two 8 mm hex headed bolts from egr into induction pipe towards inlet manifold.
Don`t mess about with fitting new allen or torx bolts. As when they corrode they will round off much quicker.
It`s replaced in a hour, check the electrical multi plug for corrosion it can and does corrode.

If your worried about the bolts snapping get it stinking hot first. Slacken the two 8 mm headed bolts first.
This will stop the steel tube going into the inlet manifold from twisting on it`s axis. It`s made of chocolate, then carry out same to the others. leave to cool and serve with Jaffa cakes and fresh mug of tea !

Yes the bolts can and do snap put steel thru ally it will corrode !
Examine the bolts on removal if ok re fit. Myself I put some coppa slip on them for the next person, it may be me.
You don`t really need a torque wrench common sense and a short spanner is all that's needed.
If the bolts do snap, and this happened to me on Tuesday.
2.2 puma engine fiat ducato with 185,000 miles behind it just whip out the steel tube. 1. 10 mm bolt to block and two 8 mm short screws into plastic inlet manifold.
Drill the remains out nut and bolt straight thru, you don`t need to go all fancy with re tapping treads.

On the subject of the steel tube that goes into the inlet manifold from the egr valve, I have had that block up.
This has given rise to egr insufficient flow faults, this is usualy accompanied by black smoke.
This is always on vehicles of low mileage / short runs. such as my own defender now 1700 miles since I got it in November !!!

I`ve fitted hundreds of egr valves to vehicles over the years, if you want a good one may I suggest the new merc sprinter om 651 twin turbo engine .
Standard merc time 5.3 hours. 3 hours of which you will spend upside down.

As for the old wifes tail of blocking it off. Yes you can put a plate in with a 10 mm hole init to restrict flow, I`ve done 20 or 30 transits with out issue. I thought it was a waste of time but he was paying me so what do you do !!

If you choose to fully block it off with out the ecu being re programed, at some point it will recognise a low thru the egr via the air flow meter, as it expects to see a reduction in measured air mass while egr cycling.
After all the air has to come from some where.

Happy mending to all, off to drive the defender for the first time this week.
Since my hols I`ve put on half a stone so I`ve been biking it to work. Door to door 2.5 miles in 7 minutes, it`s quicker than the car and much cheaper on the fuel to.

also you can stick the gaskets to the egr before fitting , makes much easier job when trying to line everything up !!!
small amount of glue round the bolt holes ,
ONLY SMALL AMOUNT AND MAKE SURE YOU DONT GET ANY IN THE VALVE AND ITS NOT TOO THICK TO STOP VALVE BEING TIGHTENED DOWN AND SEALING !!!
Post #350479 9th Aug 2014 8:31am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
FYI, someone in ZA has managed to disconnect the EGR without the MIL coming on: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=159476 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #350512 9th Aug 2014 12:56pm
Marco

Netherlands 
I've not yet started the job, and do agree it's not rocket science to replace. Have done much more on Landies but not yet on this 2.4 Puma one. I've cleared the logged fault code of the open EGR actuator and it has not come back. So wonder if I should replace the EGR anyway as it is already on the shelf. Vehicle is 2.4 Puma, 2007 @80500 km. So relative low mileage compared to age. Not sure about the average lifespan of the EGR?
Post #350924 11th Aug 2014 8:00am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Mine went faulty at 50k miles (80k km) so about the same as yours, noting mine is on a 2.2 so different valve and far more awkward to get at the fixings, but I got their in the end.
If you have one on the shelf ready to go I would change it out now, else it can get worse and put you in limp mode at the worst time, ie miles from home.
Post #934700 22nd Dec 2021 5:59pm
Nino4x4

Spain 
The EGR can be canceled in two ways, the first, which is the normal one, is EGR off or closed, which is what they usually ask me, and in this case it is not necessary to put a plate since it is closed and there is no air passage, and the second way is if you want to remove and disconnect electronically that can also be done by overriding the ECU
Post #934745 22nd Dec 2021 10:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackrock

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Firenze Red
Just got a new EGR and was expecting gaskets to be supplied with it. Have I got to order gaskets or are they re-usable?
Post #962508 22nd Aug 2022 1:19pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You really want new gaskets, they aren’t expensive. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #962536 22nd Aug 2022 4:46pm
blackrock

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Firenze Red
On the subject of gaskets, are the britpart ones any good. Are the LR and britpart gaskets actually the same part in different bags or is it worth spending the extra on LR ones?
Post #963738 2nd Sep 2022 12:03am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
For the 2.2 the EGR OEM is Pierburg. They supply ford who in turn supply to LR. You can even see they have ground the FOMOCO casting off the valve when pierburg sell it direct.
I strongly suspect pierburg are OEM for the 2.4 EGR as well. You should therefore be able to get the OEM quality pierburg boxed gaskets cheaper on the open market

For my 2.2 I found buying the pierburg badged valve less than half the price of the LR boxed one and it’s exactly the same valve but with included gaskets. So if your are going to get a new valve then worth looking up the pierburg part number and seeing if it is lower cost than from LR or Ford.
Post #963739 2nd Sep 2022 1:11am
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Using the truck only on long distance trips I cannot report any EGR related problem (more than 100K miles).
Post #963822 2nd Sep 2022 9:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>