↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Front + rear speaker upgrade D90 + sound deadening mod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Defendit..

Netherlands 
Front + rear speaker upgrade D90 + sound deadening mod
My 90 came with the basic 6 speaker configuration. So after my round trip Wales and Scotland, 3000mls I was not satisfied anymore with the sound.
First things first, sound deadening for the doors. Bought a package with 3 kind of materials for a four door car.
( Doors are big on a 90, everything is applied ) STP doorkit silver
Dismantle the door trim/cards ( Powerful video )
Wireloom complete disconnect from card and panel.

Click image to enlarge

Started with the heavy material full covered followed by the layer of dense innerfoam.

Click image to enlarge

After a lot of reseach I went for the 2ohm Blam 2way composet, first choice was the Live 165A , but after some more searching I found a higher spec set Blam Signature 165.80 for the same price.

Click image to enlarge

Did some more sound deadening inside door and panels.
The deadening is the most time consuming part of your front speaker upgrade.
Spend arround £ 85,- /€ 100,- on the deadening materials

Click image to enlarge

Bought some 6,5" speaker rings, ( Ford C max/S max ≥2006, EAN 4026724336818 / arround £ 17,-/€ 20,- )
applied inside and outside the ring also dampening material.
Connected the new woofer for now to the existing speaker cable.
( Tested the provided crossover, but it did not add any extra sound improvement for now, Future mod new cables direct to DSP )

Click image to enlarge

Glued in the new tweeters, connected with the existing tweeter cable with inline resistor . ( Future mod new cables)

Click image to enlarge

So with the stock amplifying the sound seriously improved, it's a full warm rich sound with smooth deep bass.
But first they need to run in ( 40hrs) to perform optimum.

​​​​​​Future upgrades will involve adding midrange speakers front, coaxial speakers rear (subwoofer) DSP 10ch and amplifier.

So my write-up for now, any questions let me know. No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..

Last edited by Defendit.. on 13th Aug 2022 10:36am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #956100 21st Jun 2022 12:08pm
Will.I.AM

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Kaikoura Stone
very interested in this - did the soundproofing make a big difference?
Post #960401 3rd Aug 2022 10:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Defendit..

Netherlands 
Yes, it did make all the difference !
Time consuming to apply, but fully worth . STP doorkit silver

Search for some nice 2ohm speakers ( Blam / Focal ). You'll be blown away No Mud flaps for my 90.!
P300 S on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #960416 3rd Aug 2022 1:23pm
Defendit..

Netherlands 
So after my sound deadening of the front doors and replacing the speakers and tweeters, now it is time for the rear speakers.
I did know the speaker size is the same as front 6'5", I choose an coaxial 2ohm speaker ( Blam Signature 165.80c )

Sidepanel removed, speaker out. Oh.. we have a problem. The speaker is mounted in a bracket which is direct mounted on/to the inside panel.

Click image to enlarge

What was Landrover thinking, this cabinet is leaking at 3 sites, impossible to build up any pressure / Bass .
My second problem with the new speakers was the depth, not sufficent.
But what is that Aluminium triangle there ?

Click image to enlarge

Behind that aluminium butyl deadening material is a great space, So with some measuring I figured out to take away some of the material.
( Very easy to drill, soft aluminium, easy to finish also)

Click image to enlarge

Next step was the sound deadening of the new discovered cabinet , at least there was more room to reach al the corners.
At the end of this cabinet, on top of the inner wheelwell I did put isolation and foam to close it up.

Click image to enlarge

I did not have the right speakerrings, so decided to use them from the old speakers, all the cheap **** removed and finished the inside smooth round ,
sound dampening applied inside and outside, I could connect the pins inside to the new speaker. So no cutting in the original wireloom.

Click image to enlarge

First testing, wow there is serieus Bass now, covered up some holes which where leaking air and some more finetuning beside the ring.

​​​​​​Sidepanel back, despite the new speakers are 5mm higher I could put it all back, very tight, as result no resolution from the speakergrill anymore.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So, a lot of work and research, worth the effort.. that's up to you. For me it is
I will have to run them in first for my final conclusion on the sound. No Mud flaps for my 90.!
Post #961508 13th Aug 2022 10:52am
Lightwater

Australia 
I have stuck acoustic insulation in every conceivable space in my Freelander. Pulled the car apart many times. There maybe some ideas you can use on your Defenders.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026.html Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #962823 25th Aug 2022 8:48am
widger

Australia 
Mate this is great.

Did you have any luck in replacing the factory AMP? This is where I am stuck with the wiring inputs for the standard sound system, any help would be great..

Cheers,
Aaron
Post #992533 14th May 2023 3:04am
starbai

United States 
Any chance you could provide some more information on the sound deadening material you used? If there is one thing the Defender leaves to be desired is noise at highway speed. I'm not expecting a vault as its a brick on wheels, but its noticeably louder than my X5 for example. I like exhaust/engine noise. I dont like wind noise. lol
Post #1013680 2nd Nov 2023 7:06pm
Defendit..

Netherlands 
Just go to a good autoparts store or car hifi shop, they can advise and or sell you.

1st.layer heavy butyl selfadhesive
2.nd layer medium density foam selfadhesive

Doorpanel inside, butyl and foam.

It's not difficult, just time consuming.. No Mud flaps for my 90.!
Post #1013700 2nd Nov 2023 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1