↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Transmission oil change & pan / filter replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lockley

United Kingdom 
Transmission oil change & pan / filter replacement
At 51,000 miles decided it was time to change the gearbox oil and replace the pan/filter.
I hope the following pointers are helpful for anyone else planning the same.

I contacted ZF customer services and supplied vehicle details and they gave their service kit part number: ZF1087.298.365.

I ordered this through autodoc.co.uk - £257. This includes the pan/filter, 7L of the LifeguardFluid-8 & new pan bolts.

At my local deanship I was quoted £266 for the pan/filter (out of stock anyway), and £568 for the oil! The LR part No for the pan is LR065238 (which cross-references with OE numbers on the autodoc website.

I followed the Topix guides, TRANSMISSION FLUID PAN, and TRANSMISSION FLUID DRAIN AND REFILL, in conjunction with the ZF guide that came with the kit.

Relatively straightforward job.

You do NOT have to remove the transmission crossmember (as is stated in Topix); you just need a slim stubby wrench to access the rearmost two pan bolts - I used a Teng 1400B 1/4" MINI BITS RATCHET. There is a wiring harness attached to the crossmember to unclip and move to one side to gain access.

You do NOT need LR special tool 307-452 Wrench, Transmission filler plug, as specified on the Topix guide. You can easily get a 3/8" torque wrench onto the filler plug without he LR extension tool. That was a wasted £100, ordered from JLR tools -jlrequipment.service-solutions.com.

I finish with a question. The last step of the Topix guide, having completed the final hot fluid level check, is to EXTRACT 350ml of transmission fluid. (applies only to 3L diesel and petrol engines). Does anyone here have any thoughts or insights as to a reason for this? It is not stated in the ZF guide.

Any questions, I’ll be happy to try and answer. L663 D300 SE MY22.

Last edited by Lockley on 3rd Nov 2023 8:59am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1013696 2nd Nov 2023 9:13pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Thats good to know. I'm averaging 20k a year so will do this at 40k. Curious about the extraction though Confused

I have a brilliant independent so will let them do it.next year Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1013736 2nd Nov 2023 11:07pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
When is the recommended oil change for this transmission?

Did you ever check the oil level, to make sure the correct quantity was present. One of my customers asked his dealer to check the transmission as it sometimes took a second to engage when accelerating after slowing down.

They found it was about a litre short of the correct amount (l assume they followed the correct and rather complicated procedure to check the oil level)

Anyhow, after adding a litre of oil he said the transmission was much better and no longer had the intermittent delay engaging drive.
Post #1013828 3rd Nov 2023 9:21pm
Lockley

United Kingdom 
Hi Lightening,

So, LR state it’s filled for life. And in fairness ZF themselves state this transmission is “generally” filled for life.

https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemedia/mas...d-8-it.pdf

However, they also state a 150,000km service interval because of so many varying parameters.

Additionally, this service centre say that ZF recommend an interval of 50,000 miles.
?si=0x5oTTq9l2HW2L-1

So certainly some conflicting advice is available. So I’m playing it safe. Likewise I change engine oil & filter every 7,000 miles, and did rear differential and transfer case at around 30,000 miles.

Good point about existing fluid level - sorry I didn’t check. L663 D300 SE MY22.
Post #1013844 4th Nov 2023 12:18am
lightning

United Kingdom 
The discussion about this subject is everlasting on various forums.

However my opinion is, certainly won't do any harm to replace engine or transmission oil more often than recommended.

l will change the engine oil annually (around 10,000 miles) and will probably get the transmission done after five years.

Never thought about the differential oil! Probably get that done at the same time as the transmission.
Post #1013869 4th Nov 2023 11:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1