↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Anyone fitted air suspension to a Defender?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Thanks for the update, that is all very interesting.

I wondered about the compressor noise... I saw a video of a defender with air suspension and the compressor noise was quite noticeable. I guess it's early days, but I wonder if this will be something you hardly notice in time or if it will become annoying!

I'm on a mission to quieten my truck, so please keep us updated on how you get on and also how low you can go... Mine is a poptop and I would love to lower to under 2m.
Post #960792 6th Aug 2022 8:16am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I've seen a few defenders that IRB have fitted out with air suspension - never noticed any compressor noise?
thats not to say there isn't - I just haven't noticed it. my guess is there's minimal otherwise I'd like to think I'd have noticed?
Post #960793 6th Aug 2022 8:33am
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
To stop the bags over pressurising, the controller will allow air out when the bag compresses as you drive along so will need to top back up now and then. This is why the compressor will kick in for short durations when you’re driving.

The compressor isn’t the quietest on mine but I don’t notice it really unless the engine is off and that’s with my compressor being under the drivers floor and my 90 is very heavy. It does kick in at traffic lights at times but you do get used to it.

I have the controller loose between the seat and cubby box as I haven’t found anywhere to mount it permanently, it’s been like that for over a year and I’m not bothered by it. Having it loose also allows me to take the controller outside the vehicle to help me level up when I use the roof tent.

The see saw motion when raising and lowering is very common, range rovers and disco’s all do the same thing from the factory.
Post #960799 6th Aug 2022 9:03am
blackrock

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Firenze Red
andy2111 wrote:
Thanks for the update, that is all very interesting.

I wondered about the compressor noise... I saw a video of a defender with air suspension and the compressor noise was quite noticeable. I guess it's early days, but I wonder if this will be something you hardly notice in time or if it will become annoying!

I'm on a mission to quieten my truck, so please keep us updated on how you get on and also how low you can go... Mine is a poptop and I would love to lower to under 2m.

The compressor noise is definitely noticeable, but I'm not too bothered by it. Maybe I will ignore it after a while.
I checked how low it can go and it doesn't go to the bump stops, which is maybe a good thing, it stops about 10mm from them. I'll measure that more accurately when I get back. How tall are you with your poptop? i measured the rear of mine at 2035, as per spec. sheet.
Post #960803 6th Aug 2022 9:27am
blackrock

jimbo55 wrote:
To stop the bags over pressurising, the controller will allow air out when the bag compresses as you drive along so will need to top back up now and then. This is why the compressor will kick in for short durations when you’re driving.

The compressor isn’t the quietest on mine but I don’t notice it really unless the engine is off and that’s with my compressor being under the drivers floor and my 90 is very heavy. It does kick in at traffic lights at times but you do get used to it.

I have the controller loose between the seat and cubby box as I haven’t found anywhere to mount it permanently, it’s been like that for over a year and I’m not bothered by it. Having it loose also allows me to take the controller outside the vehicle to help me level up when I use the roof tent.

The see saw motion when raising and lowering is very common, range rovers and disco’s all do the same thing from the factory.

Ah, nice to know there's nothing wrong. I also found that the loose controller is useful when you get out and want to see what's going on. Also, the passenger can muck about with the air while you drive.

Do you have a VB Air system?
Post #960804 6th Aug 2022 9:29am
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
Yes I have a VB kit, I do find the lights on the controller a bit too bright so always have the controller face down to stop any glare on the windscreen
Post #960807 6th Aug 2022 10:06am
andy2111

Not sure how high I am. Only got the poptop done 2 weeks ago then had the truck in the workshop having the aircon fixed then in another workshop having service and various mods... and am now typing this from the sun deck of a ferry to Santander where we will start 2 weeks of exploring the Pyrenees! Will measure it when I get home home but am guessing it adds around 15cm to overall height. Will just stay away from low overhead barriers for now!
Post #960815 6th Aug 2022 11:14am
blackrock

After taking 6 people to a couple of places, the lowered suspension definitely makes it easier for ingress and exit. The rear step is very close to the ground. Whereas before there was a lot of grunting and groaning, now they just get in.
the ride is definitely smoother. I think some of the bumps aren't felt, but can still be heard, as the wheels still ride up and down. Maybe. It's all quite subjective. Speed bumps are now less of a problem.
Post #960823 6th Aug 2022 12:44pm
blackrock

andy2111 wrote:
Not sure how high I am. Only got the poptop done 2 weeks ago then had the truck in the workshop having the aircon fixed then in another workshop having service and various mods... and am now typing this from the sun deck of a ferry to Santander where we will start 2 weeks of exploring the Pyrenees! Will measure it when I get home home but am guessing it adds around 15cm to overall height. Will just stay away from low overhead barriers for now!

Sounds like a real adventure. You popping in to Andorra?
I'm writing this from a table at Paignton Zoo. Not quite the same...
Post #960824 6th Aug 2022 12:45pm
andy2111

Yes we are. First week camping in France then joining a convoy of 4 other landies on a tour through the mountains crossing France, Spain and Andorra. Should be great fun and looking forward to using the poptop for the first time
Post #960825 6th Aug 2022 12:53pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
If you want to estimate the height, measure the overall height and measure the gap between the bump stop and the axle, on the rear you’ll get down to 10mm clearance with a VB kit so you can make a rough estimate.

My 90 with 33”tyres and roof bars is 2m tall so you may just get to 2m with a pop top but it would be very close.
Post #960849 6th Aug 2022 7:42pm
andy2111

Thanks for the tip, will do that when I get home!
Post #960881 7th Aug 2022 5:20am
blackrock

Well, the 110 now fits in the garage. When in car park mode it is about 191cm high at the back. Which means 2.0m height restrictiions aren't a problem any more.

There are two custom settings which can be set up, I set one to the lowest possible height and that is about 10mm lower than carpark mode. Strangely, though, while carpark mode will be exited at any speed above 30kph, the custom mode is exited at a slower speed, I'm not sure what. So if you want to lower the vehicle and then drive in, you can't use the custom height.

Andrew
Post #961024 8th Aug 2022 3:14pm
blackrock

I've noticed something a bit odd. I previously fitted an optimill removable steering wheel and lined it up with the original wheel that came off. No noticeable difference in wheel alignment. On the current trip I was on the M1 and noticed that when going straight ahead the wheel was about 5-10 degrees clockwise of centred. Oh dear I thought, I've bent something. No recollection of potholes or anything and I've subsequently looked and not seen anything obviously wrong. The interesting bit is, that when I lower the suspension the steering wheel turns anticlockwise and when raising it it turns clockwise. So I am wondering if the air suspension fitting has caused this. Does the geometry of the steering rotate the wheel when it goes up and down. Obviously without air suspension you'd not really notice.

Andrew
Post #963250 29th Aug 2022 12:30pm
blackrock

So far the air suspension is great. It's used all the time for ease of entry and exit, and getting in to car parks. I did find a height limit for one car park of 1.9m which was irritating as that's too low. I've also used it while stationary in a queue to go up and look over the van in front of me to see what the obstruction was. Ride does seem better, better now than my other car (mini Countryman).
Post #963251 29th Aug 2022 12:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>