↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Anyone fitted air suspension to a Defender?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
I'd also be interested to know what the approvals are? I'd be very surprised if people like on air are installing kit that breaks safety regulations.

You'll need to tell your insurance company, but it would be helpful to know what else needs doing to ensure a safe and compliant installation?
Post #958654 17th Jul 2022 8:13pm
keith

Scotland 
Awesome videos and great explanation.
Post #958666 17th Jul 2022 10:03pm
kenzle8a

andy2111 wrote:
I'd also be interested to know what the approvals are? I'd be very surprised if people like on air are installing kit that breaks safety regulations.

You'll need to tell your insurance company, but it would be helpful to know what else needs doing to ensure a safe and compliant installation?

Only in Germany for the TUV regulations. There’s no approval standard for after market suspension in unit Uk.
Post #958670 17th Jul 2022 10:19pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
The vb kit is TUV and VCA (type approved) for Germany and the Uk, you can also have one and keep any Land Rover warranty you may have left
Post #958686 18th Jul 2022 7:54am
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
One other point to consider, what do you use your vehicle for? Is it an off-roader where you want a lot of suspension travel or does it spend most of its time on road?

Pretty much all of the kits available will require you to use an anti roll bar so will lose a lot of travel off road but gain a fair bit of on road handling.
Post #958695 18th Jul 2022 10:00am
blackrock

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Firenze Red
It'll be for almost 100% on road so compromising off road suspension isn't going to bother me.

The VB systems looks to be well designed and I'm not surprised that it meets the approvals. It's also fairly expensive though, to match.
Post #958699 18th Jul 2022 10:25am
Def90

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Hi
Give the guys at On Air a call, they are very helpful and have a lot of experience with Defenders and their system is the one Juice Motors fit.
Post #958713 18th Jul 2022 1:14pm
blackrock

I've booked in for a VB Air suspension to be fitted. I was going to do it myself, but it turns out to not be hugely cheaper, even the inexpensive kits are pretty expensive. The reason for the VB Air kit was firstly that it looks like a well made kit, and secondly it lists one of the lowest travel, down to the bump stops. Some other kits list -60mm, I'm not sure why, the VB (and one or two others) list -110mm max and -100mm as the lowest workable height. I measured the bump stops and I think the -110mm is to the bump stop. These measurements are all at the rear, which on a 110 is my problem height.
I'm wondering if the kits that only go 60mm lower are restricted by the air springs not being able to compress that far?

We'll see how it goes...
Post #959352 24th Jul 2022 11:35am
andy2111

Would be great to hear how you get on and see some pics - when are you having it done?

Do you mind saying how much the installation is? I had a quote for OnAir installation of approx £5.5K with the self levelling module included
Post #959729 27th Jul 2022 5:01pm
blackrock

I have spoken to the OnAir people, a bit later than the VB people and as their website was down the early research didn't really include them. Their docs also state a -60mm maximum drop at the rear which wasn't as good as some other people. Being a 110 it's being fitted to the starting point is higher than a 90 so every extra mm is worth it (to me).

The VB install is £6.1k, so not cheap, and obviously not as cheap as doing it yourself. This is without the optional auto levelling, which I don't need. I think its probably retro fittable. It does include height sensors so its not a pressure based system. It also has emergency valves for manual setup if the compressor breaks, for example.

It's booked in for next Wednesday, and they say it's 2 days if the nuts all come undone and 3 if not.

Spares are available, I've been told. I think if the controller broke I'd look at building my own, the air springs I suspect could be replaced with a suitably sized version from elsewhere.

I can posted photos when it's done, no problem.
Post #959738 27th Jul 2022 6:03pm
andy2111

Who is installing it for you?
Post #959751 27th Jul 2022 6:57pm
blackrock

Courtside Conversions in Tiverton. They've been pretty good so far, we'll see how it goes...
Post #959752 27th Jul 2022 7:03pm
andy2111

Very interested to hear how you get on, especially with ride quality and any reduction in vibration that reduces cabin noise..
Post #959797 28th Jul 2022 8:12am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I have always been curious about fitting air suspension to a defender. Love the idea of being able to fit under parking height barriers at the press of a button Rolling with laughter

Actually I have been curious since I read an article in LRO or other mag about folks fitting bus air suspension to their defenders. Years and years ago now. Then more recently the Grizzly n bear overland couple on youtube with their 130.

Looking forward to hearing how this mod goes.
Post #959805 28th Jul 2022 9:24am
blackrock

Well, I picked the Defender up this morning. I dropped it off at 8:30 on Wednesday and it was done by 3pm the next day.

The installation is air springs front and rear with the front shocks moved as they used to be inside the springs. New shocks were also included. The controller was left unattached to the dash on a trailing wire, as the installers weren't sure where I wanted it. I'm not sure either at the moment, I may leave it on the cable, or I may attach it somewhere. Emergency inflation valves were also included, they have been fitted inside the engine bay. There's an air tank and a compressor fitted underneath the vehicle and height sensors on each corner that the Air ECU uses to sense the height. The Air ECU is under the passenger seat.

The controller lets you select one of four presets, or one of two heights that you can program yourself. You can also manually move up and down. There's also a 'service' mode that turns the air controller off and that is designed for vehicle servicing when jacked up with dangling wheels. The height sensors will then indicate a high height and the ECU will try to counteract, continuously I suppose.

First impressions are that the ride has changed, the smaller higher frequency bumps you feel when driving on a surface that isn't completely smooth are gone, and the bigger bumps are also now smaller. The medium bumps are about the same I think, if that makes sense? It's definitely more 'floaty', if that's a word.
The raising and lowering works, and it drops down almost to the bumps stops on the 'park' setting that has been pre-programmed. You can lower below that, too, by a small amount.

One thing that is a surprise is how often the compressor cuts in when driving. I expected it to run when moving to a new height and then stop, but it cuts in now and again. It seems that the controller is always controlling the height, occasionally when stopped at traffic lights the front of the vehicle was driven up or down and the compressor ran for 5s or so.

Lowering is also non intuitive in that the front and rear lower in a see-saw fashion, I think this is due to the layout of the air manifold. The compressor only drives front or rear air springs at a time I think.

It remains to be seen how well we can fit under height restrictions, it looks like it will be fine.

I have photos if anyone is interested.
Post #960701 5th Aug 2022 6:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>