↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 won't crank, even if electronics turns on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
50th_td5

Canada 
TD5 won't crank, even if electronics turns on
Hello, my name is Thierry I have a 1999 Defender 90 TD5, we've owned it for 7 years now and in the last two years its been acting out a lot.

We've added quite a few mods on it 6 years ago, we've added heating seats, new fog lights, kbx lights, a new audio system with a Kenwood (DNX8920) sat-nav system and a subwoofer.

We've changed the ecu twice because it stopped working (my mechanic told us so), we've bought both of them from MASTAZ.

Last summer we had problem starting it, but with a little bit of gas, it starts. This winter, the truck turned off completely while driving, it shut down on the middle of the road. (This winter it was always plugged to the wall, so the battery could charge itself and the truck wouldn’t start without being plugged or jumped). And we also changed the battery.

We brought it in at the beginning of spring and we changed the alternator, it worked for a week, the truck started with no problem, everything worked. Then, the next Monday when I tried to start the truck, NOTHING, the lights on the dash were on, the sat nav turned on, the lights too, but when I put the key in the ignition, it wouldn’t crank (of course, I waited for the spring light to turn off before trying to start it). The same day, in the afternoon my dad came to start it, it cranked and he gives some gas and it started. I went for a ride, came back, turn it off and tried to turn it back on, wouldn’t crank but same as in the morning, the lights were on everything was on in the car.

We are fed up, we are not able to fix this our mechanic doesn’t understand too. The gas tank is full.

Thank you
Post #956240 22nd Jun 2022 5:15pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
lf the engine won't turn over then it's got to be an issue with the starter circuit, the wiring and starter motor.

Have you checked the engine earth and ECU seat box earth? Have you tried a new starter? Also Mastaz is really knowledgeable on the Defender TD5 you could try asking him, especially as you've bought two ECU's from him
Post #956248 22nd Jun 2022 7:09pm
50th_td5

Canada 
Hello, thank you for the reply, I will ask my mechanic to look for the wiring, the engine earth and ECU seat box earth. I don't think its the starter because sometimes it crank, but if its not the wiring or the earth, I'll try a new starter. And I'll send a message to mastaz.

Thanks
Post #956253 22nd Jun 2022 7:48pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
Why you try to crank but it doesn’t start does the starter click?

I had this recently, was the starter motor solenoid failing, sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn’t but was certainly getting worse. If it doesn’t start try rocking the key, turn it back far enough that you can turn to the crank position again but not so far back that the you have to key off completely to get to the crank position again.
Post #956256 22nd Jun 2022 8:01pm
50th_td5

Canada 
what do you mean by the starter clicking??
Post #956361 23rd Jun 2022 7:28pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
If the starter doesn't do anything it could also have to do with the AS10 or the connection between the ECU and AS10. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #956362 23rd Jun 2022 7:36pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
50th_td5 wrote:
what do you mean by the starter clicking??

Does the starter make a clicking noise when you try to start? Or is it silent?
Post #956363 23rd Jun 2022 7:40pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
A bad starter can also create a problem with the crank sensor pulse, as well as not always turning the engine over.
Post #956415 24th Jun 2022 9:53am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Yes it can, l had the same with ours, would turn over but poor starting, tried all sorts but a new starter cured it, even though the old one seemed to turn the engine over with no issues.
Post #956448 24th Jun 2022 4:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1