↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Is PPF worth having? You bet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Is PPF worth having? You bet
If you intend to use your lovely L663 Defender off-road anywhere where you might succumb to bramblerash or pinstripes here is why you should seriously consider putting PPF onto your pride and joy ………

As some will know I managed to bash the offside/ driver side rear ¼ panel of my 110 in February and the panel was replaced and to “blend” the paint the film on the driver’s side rear door was also removed. It will be replaced in July as that is the earliest I can spare the car. Anyway today we did a 50 mile drive on seriously dusty tracks and was amazed to see when I pulled back onto the paved road and accelerated how much dust blew off my car straight on to the old style 90 following me! When home I had a look at the car and the difference in the cleanliness or lack of dust in the pinstripes on the unwrapped panels is quite evident compared the the wrapped drivers door and front wing…….

Left of pic is rear passenger door unwrapped - right of photo wrapped drivers door - you may need to expand the photo to see the stark difference between finishes.
Please excuse the iPhone rotation

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This is the near side which has two year old PPF on it after the run and drive home

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #954642 5th Jun 2022 8:17pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
That’s seriously impressive Tim. Gives me a good feeling about having had mine done.
Post #954702 6th Jun 2022 3:39pm
DefenderFonz

Looks good, which company did you go with for the PPF?
Post #956379 23rd Jun 2022 11:29pm
cfitzge

United States 
How much did the PPF cost? Thinking of doing a wrap for my P400
Post #977632 11th Jan 2023 7:42pm
Tim in Scotland

In 2020 it cost £1900 (which I’ve been told is a really really good price) to have the front grill, front wings, bonnet, wing mirrors and both sides up to the window line done.
I got a quote yesterday to do the same areas but on a 90 at £2100 + VAT @20% from the same company using Xpel clear gloss again. The cost of labour and the film has increased but again I was told today by a friend who had his 110 done with the same film and the company he used charged him £4000 in 2021. I use a local company who are approved Xpel fitters - Ultimate Shine Autos in Stirling

I also noticed today the first damage to the film - my driver side A Pillar decided to try and make a bid for freedom again (2nd time!). Fortubately I was driving quite slowly due to the severely flooded roads here and was only 10 minutes drive from the dealership. Lucky for me I had stopped before any damage to the trim was done but while pushing it back before driving back to the dealers I noticed there are some nicks out of the edge of the film where it meets the base of the A Pillar trim - I suspect it was from the last time the trim came loose and twisted through 90 degrees tapping on the wing as it did. It looks like a mouse has nibbled the edge, you have to look hard to see and as the car is going in March when my new 90 arrives Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #977640 11th Jan 2023 8:03pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I have it - im happy with it, i dont have the roof side and rear door done. i DO regret the roof sides, given its black, the front of the roof is protected

ive got a couple of different patterns on the car ive noticed, where it wraps around the panels i have had some lifting (repaired under its warranty) but otherwise it does give peace of mind. Mike
Post #978280 16th Jan 2023 10:09am
LR Nuts

Click image to enlarge

does it work on Key'ed panels ?
Post #978286 16th Jan 2023 10:53am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Yes they do

If its deep it wont heal, but then you can just remove the sheet!

The only think with my templates, they dont wrap round each of the panels (does on some) so theres a 1mm edge on certain panels Mike
Post #978287 16th Jan 2023 11:04am
haymeister

Japan 
Money no object my only regret is not wrapping the whole car and not just the front. Have some bramble rash on the side....

The guys I went to used the template method as well. As MSE said there's a 1mm or so edge but you don't really notice it after a while, unless you're really OCD. It also depends what colour you have. The dirt accumulated on a Fuji white car would show the edge more. 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #978339 16th Jan 2023 3:29pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
LR Nuts wrote:

Click image to enlarge

does it work on Key'ed panels ?

The detailer who did mine had recently had a Bentley and a Porsche back in that had both been key'd. Even he was amazed to find there was zero damage to the paintwork.
Post #978447 17th Jan 2023 6:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1