Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Anti Theft Solutions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jascon

Australia 
Anti Theft Solutions
Howdy All,
Just looking for options. We live in Far North QLD, Aus and unfortunately like a lot of places. Car Crime is becoming a serious problem. we are not talking about Savvy criminals who are trying to steal and sell your car, more like kids who want to take it for a joyride.
As I have recently purchased a new Defender. looking at options expensive and cheap to deter wanna be criminals.
I have looked into various remote immobilisers, however In Aus they require the engine to be used ( against my will) and then engined turned off again before you can remotely kill the fuel line.
Other options would be for small keypad to be fitted to the dash etc and key entered before used.
This unfortunately would mean no pre air conditioning can be used using the LR app before car entry, which in super humid days and 2 young kids is used daily.
I’m looking at a cheap steering wheel lock but the ones I google don’t fit the defender.
So looking for ideas…. Any ideas if possible.
Many thanks In advance
Post #976966 7th Jan 2023 9:27am
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
The best steering lock by far is the Disklok - https://www.disklokuk.co.uk/shop/disklok/

They ship worldwide.
Post #977036 7th Jan 2023 9:15pm
Tim in Scotland

Do you use the Guardian Mode that is part of the OEM Security system and is part of the LR App?

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #977049 8th Jan 2023 7:39am
Jascon

Australia 
Thanks for that mate, seems strange but that’s not an option on my LR remote app. Must be a different one used in aus or something. We love to be different out here lol.
Post #977060 8th Jan 2023 9:28am
Lightwater

Australia 
A Bosch 10.8v angle grinder is brilliant for the first 2 minutes cutting 60 x 3mm steel pipe, second cut 4 minutes & third cut 7 minutes.

2 minutes is long enough for most things. I use it more than my 18v angle grinder.

An actual failsafe setup!

Click image to enlarge

Additionally, a used baby nappy on gear stick for second line of defence! Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #978414 16th Jan 2023 8:33pm
RR08

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I have fitted deadlocks to all doors and security hinge kits.

A removable steering wheel is very useful, makes it impossible to drive off without the wheel.

Good quality locator and live tracking.
Post #978442 17th Jan 2023 12:53am
haymeister

Japan 
How bad has it gotten in the UK?! Shocked 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #978445 17th Jan 2023 2:19am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
In general……don’t ask.

Look after yourself and your property as the police and courts won’t. The criminals have more rights than the victim.

But then some may say it’s an all expenses paid four star hotel utopia
Post #978449 17th Jan 2023 6:57am
Tim in Scotland

Have you looked t hiding an apple AirTag somewhere in the car? I know several owners of old defenders who have got a discount on their insurance for hiding one somewhere in the car. There is a PowerfulUK video about them. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #978514 17th Jan 2023 12:21pm
LR Nuts

My neighbour has a tag on her cat, yes little Pussy.

It's about the size of a watch and can alert your mobile phone app if it moves out of it's territory. A monthly fee gives her peace of mind.

Only fitted as cat went missing for over 3 weeks and covered a distance of 8 miles. It took Facebook to find it.
Post #978515 17th Jan 2023 12:28pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Re: Anti Theft Solutions
Jascon wrote:

As I have recently purchased a new Defender. looking at options expensive and cheap to deter wanna be criminals.

What is the main vulnerability of the New to be stolen for a joy ride? Apart from the obvious pyhsical access, they have to overcome the immobiliser:
Keyless entry relay attack -> put your car keys in a shielded case.
Immobiliser attack via OBD port -> relocate the plug and/or install an OBD Saver.
Post #978589 17th Jan 2023 7:46pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Thats never stopped them in the UK. We have a whole industry geared up to car theft!

Stolen cars are either stripped for parts or shipped to Africa or Russia. Its a lucrative trade!

Have google about car theft in the UK. Here's a recent one and also from the Disco3/4 forum. Theft is rife over here! They are now getting access via the canbus in parking sensors!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-64151619

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/rise-theft-...ight=theft
Post #978604 17th Jan 2023 10:01pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I'm aware of the situation in the UK for 30 years. Hasn't improved. Sad But despite the emotional side of it (I'd rather hang the scum in the market place...) it is in parts a technical problem - they're not doing magic. So why not spend a few 100£ on simple technical measures to make theft more difficult. Sadly there is no 100% security, of course.

In the CCTV video in the first article you can clearly see the f**er is getting at the OBD port.
Also some of the posts in the forum you linked to say they've seen this on their CCTV.
The OBD Saver or a relocation loom is a simple thing you install and forget about.

Also "so maybe they cloned the key or found a way to get into it when I'd been out and about,",
"He also recommended owners consider other security options, such as Faraday key pouches and steering wheel locks."

Gaining access to the CAN bus via a parking sensor - was just a matter of time until they found out.
Won't work with every make or model though, as many sensors are not directly connected to CAN or via a gateway ECU which may not forward messages to the security-relevant parts.
Communication bus security is something car manufactures have neglegted for decades. It is improving, but bad press and the occasional law suit may be a good idea, too.
Post #978624 18th Jan 2023 6:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1