↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Decision time...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
pjb

DefenderOfTheEarth wrote:

Just nervous of another big failure - warranty is up in a month.

If warranty is an issue buy one when it comes to renewal some warranties offer good coverage - but not cheap 2020 P300 HSE
Post #95060 19th Oct 2011 2:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pjb

The thought of driving a bland anymoblle softroader was rather depressing.

I have one of those a company Q5 Embarassed 2020 P300 HSE
Post #95061 19th Oct 2011 2:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
pjb wrote:

If warranty is an issue buy one when it comes to renewal some warranties offer good coverage - but not cheap

Well without a major battle, we'd be well over a grand poorer using the LR Used Approved "warranty" so that's out of the question. Faith now borderline zero.
Warranty Direct are utterly appalling - we used them once and I wish i'd spent the £250 on a cracking night out. Or a very nice bottle of vintage Bordeaux. Or even a large container of loo roll.
Warranty Wise seem to have about 70% glowing feedback and 30% utterly dreadful reviews. Knowing our luck, we'd be in the 30% if we needed to claim. They would also insist on using our main dealer - I'd rather use our much better independent garage to do any work.

What we've learned is how hard warranty companies (who are just insurance firms in disguise) will try to wriggle out of any claims - it's the way they work and TBH I'd rather shell out £1500 on an actual problem than £600 on a pantaloons insurance policy. Sorry for the random rant but it really gets my goat how awful these firms appear to be!! Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #95062 19th Oct 2011 2:33pm
Barry

United Kingdom 
If you think you can put stuff behind you , Keep it , returned mine a few weeks back and I can't even bring myself to seriously look at something else never mind buy anything else . Saying that after having the 2011 2.4 £210 tax I can't bring myself to buy a 2012 model either which I guess is all there is now.

Rock and Hard place , even getting used to sharing my other halves Yaris Big Cry 2011 Defender XS 110 Station Wagon - Rejected
2008 Discovery 3 XS Auto (Gone)
1997 Discovery ES Auto 300TDI (Traded in on a flat bed)
Post #95067 19th Oct 2011 3:54pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

Barry wrote:
If you think you can put stuff behind you , Keep it , returned mine a few weeks back and I can't even bring myself to seriously look at something else never mind buy anything else . Saying that after having the 2011 2.4 £210 tax I can't bring myself to buy a 2012 model either which I guess is all there is now.

Rock and Hard place , even getting used to sharing my other halves Yaris Big Cry

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

They aren't bad little city cars but still...

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #95068 19th Oct 2011 3:59pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Remember the old saying that goes along the lines of better the devil you know Wink

Besides, buying brand new is no guarantee of a hassle free experience nor is buying another secondhand one unless of course you know your beans mechanically or employ the services of someone who does. Above all don't forget you are driving a truck who's basic design goes back to just after WW2 so there is a need adopt your driving style accordingly. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #95070 19th Oct 2011 4:10pm
Barry

United Kingdom 
Yeh sad I know

I wish I had just kept hold of my 97 Disco ES Auto, not a defender but not a computer either !

Ah well maybe I will wait for 2015 , actually 2017 for them to iron out the issues Rolling with laughter 2011 Defender XS 110 Station Wagon - Rejected
Post #95072 19th Oct 2011 4:12pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

What was wrong with your new one Barry? I'm sure there's a thread somewhere?! Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #95076 19th Oct 2011 4:37pm
Barry

United Kingdom 
What was wrong with your new one Barry? I'm sure there's a thread somewhere?!

Wow , here goes

Water on both footwell mats a number of times
Water strangely soaking the carpet next to the seat box on passenger side front
Smoke/mist through vents
Oil leek
Badly fitted accessories
Rear door not staying open and spare snagging on lamp guard which according to LR website should not have been fitted with the size of spare.
Passenger side rear door snagging on chequer plate
General panel gaps
Amongst other things

Not huge stuff some may say but life is too short to spend the rest of it trying to get these sorted and some I was advised woundn't be sorted which just wasn't acceptable 2011 Defender XS 110 Station Wagon - Rejected
Post #95107 19th Oct 2011 9:06pm
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
If you're worried about the cost of running a Landrover,
Prob best if you sell it. Use cash to buy an isuzu rodeo
Or similar. I tried selling my 110 300tdi with the view to buy
An isuzu but came to the conclusion that nothing really takes the same
Punishment as a defender and still be worth something.
I tried to buy a puma recently but found one was no better than the one
I've got and the other was a little too much,so have kept
The 300 for now would like to upgrade but prices are too steep.
Keep it love it fix it !
Sell it regret it !
But if you don't want to spend money on repairing a defender
Buy a Honda or isuzu Have fun be happy
Post #95110 19th Oct 2011 9:16pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

Nasty! We get the first two issues though! Need to re-seal a few bits but then ours isn't new!

A real shame though. There seem to be a few shockers being reported on here.

Still keeping the faith - just about... Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #95111 19th Oct 2011 9:17pm
Barry

United Kingdom 
Nasty! We get the first two issues though! Need to re-seal a few bits but then ours isn't new!

A real shame though. There seem to be a few shockers being reported on here.

Still keeping the faith - just about...

It is a shame , I really miss it , but I was not going to be able to live with the issues I was advised would not be fixed and after 5 months of poor service I didn't hold much hope for the future and was better off out of it.

Would I have rejected it if the issues were going to be sorted properly and quickly guaranteed , no way I loved that car!

Problem is I can't get excited about anything else and while I can afford a a disco / x5 / q7 etc... I value my cash a little more than to spend that kind of money on a box to get from A to B , for that kind of money it has to be more than that , it has to be Defender Big Cry 2011 Defender XS 110 Station Wagon - Rejected
Post #95115 19th Oct 2011 9:33pm
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
The way I see it is Defenders are all pretty much the same beast basically. Keep your 110 and live with the faults accepting that you will have to shed money on it unlike possibly a jap 4x4, but your defender wont depreciate nearly as fast. Or sell your defender and buy a mint older one (there are plenty of low mileage loved ones out there) and pocket the difference to spend on maintenance and getting it how you want it Wink
One thing I regret though is having a really tidy truck means you cant abuse it as much without worrying about the expense - in a way I wish I'd bought a slightly scruffier example tbh, but the thought of spending over 10,000 on something tatty just didnt seem right for me Rolling Eyes 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #95119 19th Oct 2011 9:51pm
Bill

Ireland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
leeds wrote:
Quote:

Get a good independent Land Rover guy to go over it with a fine tooth comb now and present dealer with list of all warranty issues now.

Brendan

That's what we have already done and thank **** we did it! Unearthed all sorts of issues which then led to the issues with the selling dealer and the warranty company (actually a third party organisation, not LR) . Saved the cost of the inspection (and service) many, many times over. Might be time to be grateful the major issues have been sorted for "free" (gawd knows how much they would have cost!!) and just look after it as well as possible.

The thought of driving a bland anymoblle softroader was rather depressing.

Keep it, shes family now, you know it Thumbs Up
 08 Puma 90xs
BMW R1150R
KXF250

Keep On Truckin
Post #95130 20th Oct 2011 12:05am
DefenderOfTheEarth

Well it's back and feeling pretty sorted - for now.

As the dealer said, it's virtually been re-built! Nice to have good side vision again - the B pillars on the 90 almost made me pull into someone on an angled junction earlier - lethal! I'll miss it's extra feeling of nippiness and the much greater ease of parking. Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.

Last edited by DefenderOfTheEarth on 20th Oct 2011 7:54pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #95225 20th Oct 2011 5:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>