↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Decision time...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Decision time...
Many of you know the issues we've had with our Puma and the comedy "service" received from a main dealer.

Our initial reaction was to get the 110 sorted then move it on, taking a huge financial hit for 11 months ownership. Our faith in both the Used Approved "Promise" and the LR warranty were both seriously tested.

We've done a lot of searching after ruthlessly thinking "what do we actually NEED our 2nd vehicle to do?" we didn't really get all that far. The Skoda Yeti 4x4 (140/170 diesel or the 160bhp petrol) look interesting but space is limited and I doubt I can sling my MTB(s) in the back in one piece or fit wife's 8ft surfboard in (mine will fit in anything!) like we can in the 110. Plus sitting in the back (ours is a 5 seater with a HUGE boot area) on a rainy day with the kids is rather cosy.

The raw figures suggest a pretty hideous wallet bashing for p/xing this for something newer - a half decent Yeti for example (also looked at the X-Trail) is £20k. We'd probably get a tenner for the 110 now.

So now we've had the halfshafts, clutch AND now brake vacuum pump (plus two oil leaks from gasket trouble) is there anything else major that might go pop? There are a few little items that need sorting - a few seals, the turbo hose needs replacing and some other little bits and bobs but nothing that would be crippling. The gearbox is notch from 2nd to 3rd but it's bearable - if it goes it would be about £1500 fitted from our indy (probably an Ashcroft one).

Our major worry is that this Landy was clearly used for heavy towing a lot and that something else might go but the two main "issues" with the early Pumas seem to have been addressed - the clutch made of cheese is now a proper newer one and the vacuum pump that often fails is now the double seal version.

Of course you are all biased towards Landies but what do you think?

We did consider a new one but the figures are just crippling - plus a fair few here seem to have loads of issues with brand new ones too! The reduction in tax would be nice but again, not £15-£18k nice!

Any thoughts? Anyone else had their Landy faith tested?! I'm deeply unimpressed with the original dealer but TBH they've done themselves enough harm already. I won't go into details but trust me on that one. Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #95038 19th Oct 2011 12:57pm
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Given what you've said, unless you spring for a new one I'd keep what you have.... I wouldn't "waste" my money on something else that you clearly don't really want.
Post #95040 19th Oct 2011 1:02pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
You've been unlucky with the problems you've had and the dealer but to worry because it has been used for heavy towing is not neccessary - that it one of the things they are good at.

I'd keep it - you've lived through the worst and are getting the issues sorted so just find a decent independant for future work and enjoy it. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #95042 19th Oct 2011 1:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Give your 110 a polish and keep it....Snow is on it's way Mr. Green
Post #95044 19th Oct 2011 1:20pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

Cheers. I would't mind something with more "modern" power and fuel consumption and the £460 RFL for the Defender is utterly insane but then again it would take a lot of miles on a newer car to recoup the price to change.

Just nervous of another big failure - warranty is up in a month. Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #95045 19th Oct 2011 1:25pm
JSG

DefenderOfTheEarth wrote:
I would't mind something with more "modern" power and fuel consumption and the £460 RFL for the Defender is utterly insane

But these are things you'd have known when you bought it and would be the same for any Defender of that age - even a mint, unused one?

If those are an issue then why did you buy a Defender? John

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #95048 19th Oct 2011 1:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pom

check out a disco3.

Pom
Post #95049 19th Oct 2011 1:52pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Two things pushed me into premature Defender purchase...

1. The tempting low RFL on the new ones and
2. The end of the 2.4 engine (wanted a new 2.4)

Had this not been the case, I would have run the Disco td5 for a few more years.

Saving best part of £250/year is very tempting, but as others have said, it's along road to get a "return on investment".

My vote = Keep it! Most of the work is already done!
Quote:
Give your 110 a polish and keep it....Snow is on it's way
- learn to love it again!

If you do want something more modern/economical, take a look at the Freelander??? (oops did I swear? better imho than a N-Trail tho)

Photo of N-TRAIL Shocked
 Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)

Last edited by MartinK on 19th Oct 2011 2:03pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #95050 19th Oct 2011 1:54pm
JSG

pom wrote:
check out a disco3.

Pom

Bear in mind there are some horror stories about D3 relaibility - and RFL isn't any cheaper. John

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #95051 19th Oct 2011 2:01pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

JSG wrote:
I would't mind something with more "modern" power and fuel consumption and the £460 RFL for the Defender is utterly insane

But these are things you'd have known when you bought it and would be the same for any Defender of that age - even a mint, unused one?

If those are an issue then why did you buy a Defender?

They aren't an issue if we keep it but when looking around, it was clear that the Defender is a bit archaic on emissions. TBH the lowish mpg isn't really an issue - just a consideration. We were fully aware of the RFL but I guess it's not until you actually shell out for it that you realise it is a wee bit steep for a 122bhp vehicle!!

Pom - not keen on the Disco 3 - 2.8 tonnes (2 tonnes is plenty!) and when they die, they REALLY die and expensively too. I'd only consider a newer Disco 4 but again, big bucks and not our cup of tea.

Martin - boot is tiny on a Freelander and I didn't really like the top end SD4 HSE we had as a loan car.

Maybe we should keep it... Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.

Last edited by DefenderOfTheEarth on 19th Oct 2011 2:14pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #95052 19th Oct 2011 2:03pm
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green

Maybe we should keep it...

You know it makes sense
Post #95053 19th Oct 2011 2:09pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Quote:

Just nervous of another big failure - warranty is up in a month.

Get a good independent Land Rover guy to go over it with a fine tooth comb now and present dealer with list of all warranty issues now.

Brendan
Post #95054 19th Oct 2011 2:19pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
DOTE

I fully understand where you are coming from. My first puma was like that and some. I nearly traded it in at 18 months old with Landcruiser. Now bare in mind I've owned and driven LR's all my adult life so it was quite a decision but in the end land rover coughed up a new vehicle before I went through with it. Had I gone through with it the cost of trading in so soon after buying it was huge and not one I could really afford. As for what you might trade it in for that is up to you but there is little that are as capable as a Defender, hold their value as well. However quite a few can match reliability and in Toyota landcruiser’s case surpass it. You may be better off keeping it as you seem to have most of the problems now sorted out.

Boy

Last edited by The Boy on 19th Oct 2011 2:25pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #95055 19th Oct 2011 2:21pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

leeds wrote:
Quote:

Just nervous of another big failure - warranty is up in a month.

Get a good independent Land Rover guy to go over it with a fine tooth comb now and present dealer with list of all warranty issues now.

Brendan

That's what we have already done and thank **** we did it! Unearthed all sorts of issues which then led to the issues with the selling dealer and the warranty company (actually a third party organisation, not LR) . Saved the cost of the inspection (and service) many, many times over. Might be time to be grateful the major issues have been sorted for "free" (gawd knows how much they would have cost!!) and just look after it as well as possible.

The thought of driving a bland anymoblle softroader was rather depressing. Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.

Last edited by DefenderOfTheEarth on 19th Oct 2011 2:25pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #95057 19th Oct 2011 2:22pm
pjb

scotty38 wrote:
Given what you've said, unless you spring for a new one I'd keep what you have.... I wouldn't "waste" my money on something else that you clearly don't really want.

+1 Thumbs Up

You've done the hard bit just enjoy it now 2020 P300 HSE
Post #95059 19th Oct 2011 2:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>