↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 200Tdi 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I had that Southdown setup on the rear of a Discovery many years ago. An excellent bit of kit and a real shame that they went out of production. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #919782 3rd Sep 2021 1:10pm
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
How did you rate the MT/R's for niose on road?
Post #919784 3rd Sep 2021 1:21pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I only took it for a brief spin last night but they are quite a bit noisier. It is a bit difficult to tell above the sound of the engine and the rattling of the truck. I will report back after I have driven to Cumbria and back in it Very Happy

It is always a compromise though isn't it? I found the Goodyears OK. Not too noisy on the road but they did seem to lack traction in mud and on rocks.

Still not convinced on the size. I think my preference would have been 235s but I have these already, they were not expensive so may as well use what I have. I do think it looks well on them though Smile

The southdown kit came off a 300tdi 110 but this has a replacement Shielder chassis and when I looked last night it seemed to have different bolts holding the front of the tank guard on. I hope to be wrong once I get a better look.
Post #919792 3rd Sep 2021 1:50pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Well, it turns out that Warn 9.5cti winches don't seem to fit tubular bumpers. That is a shame.

Just ordered a new Winchmax one instead. Should do just fine for what I need Thumbs Up
Post #919803 3rd Sep 2021 3:09pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
New (to me) winch bumper and steering guard fitted over the weekend. Was certainly a trickier job than it should have been, nothing seemed to line up. Didn't want to drill or cut the galvanised chassis so a few modifications were required to the guard and bumper mounts. Got there in the end though. I also have an A-bar to go on to mount some lights to but will reserve judgement on those until after my trip to the lakes on the 17th I think.

Click image to enlarge

Good job I didn't get one that needed a body cut. When I took the grill off I found that the intercooler was full height and the would have been no room to tuck a winch in there.

Winch is due to arrive tomorrow and that will hopefully be a straightforward fit.
Post #920211 6th Sep 2021 11:39am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Winch is on after a fair bit of jiggery pokery. Installation was simple enough but the wiring was a pain. A straightforward task but beset with problems, all of which were overcome so all good Thumbs Up . Will post a pick once I get the rope installed, need to find somewhere suitable to go so I can tension it as I wind it on.

While I was installing I also noticed that the intercooler had been place touching the front panel and over time it has actually cut into the intercooler. Luckily not penetrated but a close thing.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Disappointingly I think the southown guard might not be possible. The rear crossmember does not have any captive nuts on the underside. The existing step is fitted with nuts and bolts but there will be no way of getting a spanner in past the guard to hold the nuts. I'll do some more head-scratching before I give up but will be a job for another day.

Last few jobs before heading off the the lakes next week include securing the headlining as it is not actually fixed to the roof ribs, fit the winch rope, check the oil and then go. Not really looking forward to the 300 mile journey up but the laning should be fun so looking forward to that.
Post #920849 10th Sep 2021 1:05pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Made use of a tank track marker and a perfectly smooth sloping surface just around the corner from my house to tension the new winch rope as I spooled it Smile

Click image to enlarge
Post #921210 12th Sep 2021 8:11pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Whilst taking it for a teat drive after adjusting the steering stops I noticed the fan blower had packed up again and the screen was misting up. Quick search on here and Google led me to suspect the drain valve on the heater intake was blocked so nipped out at lunchtime to check it out

For some inexplicable reason the wing top chequer plate sits over very vent cover! I had to drill out the rivets and remove it before I could get to intake Gubbins.

Click image to enlarge

There was quite a bit of water in there and loads of junk blocking the drain. The water had also filled the fan housing. I cleared the drain and cleaned up around it. As I was heading off to the lakes in the afternoon I didn't really want to take off the heater to empty it so I managed to cobble together a solution using a syringe I had lying around for some reason and some heat shrink tube which I used to pass though the blades of the fan and gradually suck out the water.

Click image to enlarge

It took a while but I got there in the end. Freed up the fan, replaced the fuse and job done. 6 gour drive this afternoon and no problems Thumbs Up

Well, I say jo problems but I think the clutch isbon the way out and I fear it may not last the next 4 days if laning Sad . I can but hope.
Post #921766 17th Sep 2021 12:27am
L110CDL

England 
Got my fingers crossed for you with the clutch lasting for your until you get home Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #921857 17th Sep 2021 9:20pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
It made it Very Happy
600 mile round trip and another 500 ish across the lakes, dales and moors.
Great trip.

Click image to enlarge
Post #922182 21st Sep 2021 10:02am
L110CDL

England 
Good news and a nice pic Thumbs Up

I can un cross my fingers now Laughing 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #922531 23rd Sep 2021 9:23pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Now that the td5 110 has gone I can focus on sprucing this one up a bit. I think it is worth investing in Smile

First job when back from the lakes was a new clutch. Probably not needed but the cost was not much greater so had a LOF powerspec one fitted as well as a new downpipe while the crossmember was off.

The 33" BFGs were good but a bit wide for my taste. And they looked well on the grey td5 so they went with that one. I sold the Wolf / Goodyear combo and bought a new set of Cooper STT pro in 235/85/16 which I had fitted to some spare wolf copy rims I had in the garage. I like these. Good price and performed well on a trip to Wales just after Christmas.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I went on a mini spending spree the other day in preparation for the work ahead. New door seals, bulkhead to screen seal, windscreen seal, wiper blades, gear knobs and vent seals. Also a new water pump as I seem to have a bit of play in mine. Some new pads for the X-Eng disc handbrake. And finally some new seat base foam for the puma seats.

A couple of the doors are a bit rubbish so after searching around for good second hand and procrastinating I went for it and ordered four new galvanised doors from SP4x4. Expecting them to arrive any day now.

Plans are:
Strip out the rear and do away with the hatch on the side. Hatch, dog guard and internal water tank will be for sale soon)
Fit the doors and new seals, using the existing windows, locks etc.
Replace rear seats with some from a Renault Grand Scenic. I know you can just bolt them onto the existing frames but I would like to make them removable as they are in the car and then have the middle one interchangeable with either a storage box or my engel fridge
Strip and recover the headlining, insulating the roof while I am at it
New rock sliders with tree bars (like having them as a step)
Swingaway wheel carrier
Paint job. Although I am undecided on colour at the moment. A colour change will not be too tricky as the replacement bulkhead is painted black inside the engine bay and the inside of the bulkhead is still bare galv. I quite like the red although it has 2 different shades on it at the moment - you can see the original colour peeking through on the front wing

Click image to enlarge

And finally the bit I am really undecided about. I would like to fit a full external roll cage but that is one of those jobs that there is not much going back from once you cut some sizable holes in the sides. Need to contemplate that one some more. But I think I have enough to occupy me for now.
Post #938415 19th Jan 2022 11:36pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Doors arrived slightly quicker than anticipated Smile

Click image to enlarge
Post #938625 21st Jan 2022 9:57am
L110CDL

England 
Great service from them Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #938745 21st Jan 2022 10:01pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Erm, slight issue on the road today. Rear prop decided to dismantle itself Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The UJ was new, only been in for short while. Well greased before use.

Managed to reverse back gently to a layby and luckily had two 14mm spanners in the back so removed the prop. Happen to have a spare at home so will fit that at some point. Bit of a surprise when it went.
Post #949695 17th Apr 2022 10:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>