↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Nanocom Evolution Software Update
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lorryman100

Nanocom Evolution Software Update
Has anyone with the first generation of nanocom evolution (pre BBS) updated the software to BBS v1.00 onwards, as this new software is now available in the restricted section on the nanocom website?
Post #88616 11th Sep 2011 11:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lorryman100

Just updated my pre BBS nanocom evolution with the new BBS software upgrade.

Click image to enlarge

The software is available in the restricted section on the nanocom website. Also download the Before and Later how to guides as well. The whole process took about 10mins to do and the procedure was well documented showing each step clearly. You will need an external 12v power supply and a usb lead to connect the evo to the computer. The first stage, Step 1 of the upgrade involves replacing a file in the NC_firmware drive which is corrupted. This is just a drag and replace exercise which takes seconds to do. Next comes Step 2 of the upgrade itself which involves powering the nanocom and then connecting the usb lead. You need to go through the menus to get to Kernel upgrade but again it is all well explained in the how to guide.

When the unit is powered up go into the nanocom menu

Click image to enlarge

Then select Setup

Click image to enlarge

Scroll across until you see Kernel Upgrade

Click image to enlarge

Then click on Kernel Upgrade and you will get this screen. I unplugged the usb from the computer then reconnected it and waited for the bong from the desktop to tell me it has found the usb device before I clicked on Run Kernel Upgrade so I knew that the nanocom and computer were in sync.

Click image to enlarge

The nanocom goes blank and then you just run the NanocomEvoKernelManager.exe from the downloaded upgrade and it does everything else. Once finished you unplug the nanocom and away you go, simples Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

The instructions for this procedure are spot on in explaining the process which did instil confidence on my part when doing this and hope this how to will aid your upgrade experience Thumbs Up

Brian.

EDIT: Meant to say that if you check the "Overwrite Target Config" option this will clear all user config files and you will also need to re-enter the unlock codes before you can use the nano on your vehicle.
Post #88679 12th Sep 2011 1:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Thankyou very much Lorryman, I will do this now, I always struggle with updating things thinking I will do more damage than good Very Happy

Just need to find my log on details for the website...

Thanks again,

Steve 
Post #88691 12th Sep 2011 2:43pm
Lorryman100

Once the original Nanocom Evolution has been upgraded to the BBS software future upgrades are even simpler. You no longer need the 12v power supply as all you need to do is remove the sd card and plug in the usb. This screen appears and you then click on kernel and the screen will go blank as in the above how to, then just run the upgrade software file from the computer. Remember to remove the sd card otherwise the computer just reads the card and treats the nanocom as an external drive meaning you wont get the below screen when plugging in the usb lead.

Click image to enlarge

Brian.
Post #88904 13th Sep 2011 4:18pm
Gunner

I'm having some problems updating my Nanocom Evolution (pre BBS)

I've done step one by replacing the file in the NC_firmware drive however at step two I can't get the Nanocom to show as a drive in my laptop when powered by a 12v supply and connected by a USB lead.

The frustating thing is that it will appear as a drive when connected to the laptop by a USB lead only but then the the 'Set Up'and 'Kernal Upgrade' screens cannot be accessed.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Post #89374 16th Sep 2011 9:08am
Lorryman100

When the usb is plugged in without 12v power the computer will recognize the nanocom as an external drive but the usb is not capable of powering up the nanocom to allow access to the kernel upgrade option. On the desktop unzip the upgrade files and have them minimized on the desktop to allow easy access later. The process I used is this:
1. Remove the SD Card from the nanocom.
2. Connect up the nanocom via usb only and rewrite the NC_Firmware file.
3. Remove usb from computer and power up the nanocom with the 12v dc power supply.
4. Go through the nanocom menu until you get to the kernel Upgrade screen.
5. Reconnect the usb to the computer until you hear the bong that it is in sync.
6. Press the Run Kernel Upgrade button. The nanocom screen will go blank, this indicates that the nanocom has entered the upgrade mode.
7. Open the previously minimized upgrade folder and double click on NanocomEvoKernelManager.exe
8. the update screen will appear and give you the option of overwriting the original user config files. Click on Run Upgrade and the program does the rest.

I would post some photos but I'm away in the caravan fishing for a few weeks and the vodafone dongle I'm using is not in a 3G area so it is very slow to use.

HTH Brian.
Post #89419 16th Sep 2011 2:20pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Should the NNcom be recognized right away by the PC?

thanks

MK Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #89427 16th Sep 2011 3:41pm
Lorryman100

Yes it will be recognized as long as the sd card is removed and only the usb lead is used to connect it to the computer. Check My Computer when you plug the nanocom in and you will see the new drive appear.
Post #89438 16th Sep 2011 4:50pm
Gunner

The problem I have is that there isn't a 'bong' when my Nanocom is connected by 12v supply and USB to my computer.

Is it still safe to continue and run the Kernal Manager.exe file ?

The SD card has been removed and the new NCSET.app has been copied to the Nanocom and overwritten the old file to correct the bug which affects Kernel Upgrading. And the compter speaker volume is up and hasn't been muted.
Post #89759 18th Sep 2011 11:30am
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Sometimes ive had it where i do not get a "bong" ive still updates it no problems. ive3 done about 20 sofar with no problems so you would be unlucky to have issues.

Pete
Post #89780 18th Sep 2011 3:55pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Gunner wrote:
The problem I have is that there isn't a 'bong' when my Nanocom is connected by 12v supply and USB to my computer.

Is it still safe to continue and run the Kernal Manager.exe file ?

The SD card has been removed and the new NCSET.app has been copied to the Nanocom and overwritten the old file to correct the bug which affects Kernel Upgrading. And the compter speaker volume is up and hasn't been muted.

My PC does not like the box neither. All S. Packs on. Tried on several PC`s. Must be one of the faulty ones. The seller (sponsor) said no updates coming in the future........ Laughing Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #89911 19th Sep 2011 1:58am
Lorryman100

Try plugging the nanocom in with the 12v and the usb. Scroll through to Kernel update and press it. When the screen goes blank run the kernel upgrade software on the computer and check to see if the device is present on the upgrade screen. If you look at the 6th picture on the second post and look just above the Run Upgrade tab you will see Verify......... When the program starts up IIRC it will state Device found or something like that. Run the kernel update and see if it works. I am away just now and don't have access to the software update as it is on the desktop computer.

Also what version of windows are you using? Have you full Administrator rights? Is there anti virus software running in the background, especially a resident shield app?

Brian.
Post #90034 19th Sep 2011 6:34pm
DanoDEF

my nanocom died during an upgrade kernel. I basically this caused by disconnecting the USB. What now?
Post #93927 12th Oct 2011 9:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1