Home > Technical > A LR Newbie with some Puma Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Steve.N

Ireland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Indus Silver
A LR Newbie with some Puma Questions
Hi,

Am brand new to the forum and the world of LR.
I've always wanted a Defender so took the plunge after seeing a nice clean unmolested example in a local LR dealer and traded in my trusty hi-ace van last week for my new 08 Puma commercial.
- On test-drive the vehicle drove excellent, well it should do as it's only covered 27k Kms!
BUT after I took delivery last Friday (I drove up to my mates to show off the new truck) there was a loud rattling noise coming from the gearbox/ clutch at tick over. It's fine when driving but terrible when ticking over in neutral with the clutch out - No noise with clutch in or if it's rev'd. I called into the LR dealer yesterday and they said it's the clutch springs that have came loose causing the clutch plate to rattle - Told me it's a gearbox out job. Thank god I got a 1yr warranty!!
- Also, when changing gears:- When releasing the clutch after changing gear if feels like there is play on the drive and there is a substantial clunk, this happens in every gear! - Is this usual due to the 4wheel drive?

I've heard lots of horror stories about the new Puma engine/ transmission, but my mate has had 2 Pumas that gave him not one day of hassle, but then I've other mate who bought a 07 Transit from new and has already went through 2 x gearboxes - BUT are these common issues that I'm seeing?
When the gearbox is dropped, is there anything I can get them to do to beef up the transmission and make it more reliable?

Thanks.
Post #93735 11th Oct 2011 3:24pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
The clutch is a known issue and you ought to be be pleasantly surprised once it's been replaced. Driveline clunks are common and there are plenty of threads on here covering the usual culprits [plus the clutch too but in the meantime check that the propshaft bolts are tight. A slower gearchange technique helps too. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #93736 11th Oct 2011 3:40pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Clutch probably needs replacing. The rattle is no doubt caused by the springs. This gets worse so get it changed by the dealer under warranty.
Check underneath for any loose bolts in the couplings or if their is too much slack in the propshafts.
People have said here that putting in stronger/heavy duty items in the drivetrain puts stress on other components not designed to take it.
No doubt lots more info to follow. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #93953 12th Oct 2011 11:01pm
Steve.N

Ireland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Indus Silver
Thanks for the replies.
Checked underneath yesterday when I dodged the showers - could see nothing loose.
How long does it take for the clutch to give up the ghost? 10s of miles or 100s of miles?
Post #93961 12th Oct 2011 11:55pm
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Hello Steve, i too came from a hiace van to a landrover - its like stepping back in time - but, you will get used to it and learn to drive your defender differently to how you drive a modern vehicle Laughing 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #93970 13th Oct 2011 6:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1