↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender + Tow Bar + Bike Rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
zilch

Australia 
pbhawkin wrote:
Zilch your a Pom living in Sydney what’s the go?

Yep, another pom, been resident since 2005, live on the Northern Beaches, i suspect where we
Poms are the majority Laughing In regard to locking things up, we take the bikes south of Sydney
to the National parks and just leave everything connected to the vehicle.. Hence why the tow
receiver is lockable as standard on the LR, the towball bar is lockable, the Thule rack locks to
he tow ball and the bikes can be locked to the carrier when we wander off for a coffee..

I have not been to Mudgee for years .. last time there was a locust plague Shocked one of my
old bosses lives there, he married into one of the wine families yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #848600 7th Aug 2020 11:41pm
orled

JamieJay wrote:
Hi orled,

Thank you for capturing your setup with the Thule bike rack.

Q. Can I ask how far the back door can swing open when the rack is in tilt mode. with the bikes still on?

Just measured, approx 55-60cms with spare wheel cover on, door angle open approx 35-40 degrees
Certainly possible to take items in and out of boot easily

Click image to enlarge
Post #848706 8th Aug 2020 8:19pm
Dharbison

Australia 2016 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
Of interest I’ve received a Yakima backswing and holdup which I’m hoping should fit.

I thought I’d be a great way of getting around the spare wheel and being able to open the door at the same time.

I’ll post some photos in Sep when I receive our defender.

Post #851514 23rd Aug 2020 4:09am
Chioti

United States 
Did you get a chance to install and take a couple of pictures?
Post #879734 20th Jan 2021 3:51pm
Og250

I was wondering please:

a) Is the Thule a better option to the LR accessory bike carrier (which is probably made by Thule)? Looks a similar price and the Thule appears to be a higher grade than the LR.
b) Can you get the Thule into the boot (I think the LR accessory claims it fits in the boot), and if not, how theft proof is it left on the back of the car?
c) Have you tried removing the spare wheel and using the inner most bike carrier? i.e. opening up the possibility of carrying up to 4 bike with the additional add-on. I wondered if this was a viable option with carrying a compressed air/foam repair kit instead of the 5 wheels on the odd occasion?

Car on order so looking for the best 4 bike option for the tow bar. For short day trips I will put one of the kids bikes (8 year old sized) in the boot and use the Thule plus the add-on as a 3 bike carrier.
Post #899118 20th Apr 2021 9:27am
Ipe

United States 
The Defender is offered worldwide and the options for rack attachments seem to differ greatly depending upon your geographic region. The tow hitch attachment seems to be much more simple in North America so the solutions we have may be radically different from what can be employed elsewhere. I hope this helps.

I've been mountain biking since the dawn of the sport in the 1980's. Since then I've owned racks from all the major manufacturers. After having owned so many and finding them all lacking I've come to what I consider the best of them all: 1Up-USA.com. Without question they work the best of all I've ever owned. So much so, that I own two of them, a single and a double (which I'm giving to my son).

To make them work well with the Defender I've coupled them with a Kuat Pivot v2. The Pivot swings the rack away from the door and out of the way. It's stable on the roughest of roads and appears to be very stout. Pity its not made from aluminum as eventually it'll rust. Despite the future rust I wholeheartedly recommend this setup. It's simply excellent Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

This picture shows the pivot open to 120 degrees. There is a positive stop at 90 but not at 120.

Click image to enlarge

This picture shows the door open and the rack locked at 90 degrees. There is clearance for the wheel and a pedal here. If I flipped the bike around there would have been ever more room.

Click image to enlarge

The single place rack folded up for storage and the Pivot locked in place. If the rack were folded down like in the picture above the door will open over it

Click image to enlarge

Double rack folded down. The door will NOT clear this rack in this position. You can fold it down even more but at that point its easier to open the Pivot

Click image to enlarge

Double rack folded up.

For what its worth 1Up makes solutions for up to four bikes and the Kuat Pivot v2 is strong enough to handle all four provided they're typical road/xc/trail/enduro/downhill bikes vs e-bikes
Post #899725 23rd Apr 2021 6:32pm
Og250

This looks great - a swing out rack would be ideal. Unfortunately in the UK we have tow balls only (electronically deployable tow ball only on the XS), so I think this limits a lot of the good options out there.

I think it’ll have to be the Thule Velospace XT3 (as in post further up). Will only fit 2 bikes normally, but with the additional bike fixture plus removing the spare wheel it may do the full 4 it’s designed for
Post #899729 23rd Apr 2021 7:10pm
Nitroneil

Scotland 
I wonder if getting a plug in towbar chopped and welded with alternative mounting bracket would be an option to allow the swing away one to be fitted. The pivot one does look to be the best solution. UK

Edit.
Have just spotted this, wonder if it works OK. Would give a decent mounting point to bolt to. As opposed to modifying bar.
https://www.wilmond.co.uk/clam-shell-swan-...aptor.html 90S D250 fuji and loving it.
Post #899803 24th Apr 2021 10:13am
zabelvelo

United Kingdom 
orled wrote:
I measured from centre of electrically deployed tow ball to vertical bar of Thule Velospace XT3 as 24cms
This provides 1-2 cms clearance from official LR spare wheel cover
The rack is appropriate for heavier eBikes and only uses the 2 rear most slots of the 3 available on rack
Additional Thule adaptor 9394 is required to avoid the spare wheel
Photos to follow

I'm looking to use an XT3 on my 110 but as of yet no tow bar - would you mind measuring from bumper to centre of extended tow ball so I can ensure that my aftermarket tow bar is at least as long as your factory fitted one so I can be sure I will have sufficient clearance??

thanks
Post #938062 17th Jan 2022 3:34pm
Orchard

Here’s my solution, can get my 3/4 bike rack on. It looks a bit precarious but is solid enough!

Click image to enlarge
 2015 90 XS SW Bowler
1998 TD5 CSW
Post #939218 24th Jan 2022 2:59pm
Bumpy

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
This is my setup. Watling Engineering tow ball conversion kit - officially rated at 150kgs but I gather has been tested a lot higher.

I’ve yet to venture out with 4 bikes but it will only need it to take the weight of two adult bikes and two kids bikes at the moment. 4 ebikes would be a definite no.

The 1 up rack is amazing. Doesn’t touch the frames, only the tyres and is super easy to attach and detach.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #940418 31st Jan 2022 9:29pm
1986RRC

Cyprus 
Hi,

Do you mind posting a couple of close up photos from different sides of the Watling Engineering tow ball conversion kit/adaptor?

I contacted them because I need one myself but they do not manufacture them anymore due to lack of specific materials.

I maybe able to ask a friend to manufacture one for me.

Thank you

By the way, your set-up is excellent. I am buying the 1-Up bike rack as well.
Post #945366 11th Mar 2022 7:46am
Bumpy

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

here you go Thumbs Up
Post #947726 1st Apr 2022 4:05pm
1986RRC

Cyprus 
Thank you very much for the photos!
Now I have a clear idea how it's made.

cheers
Post #947727 1st Apr 2022 4:23pm
LR Nuts

google Bak-Rak, they have a patent 'ball coupler', with many options.
Post #962697 23rd Aug 2022 9:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>